What is this plug for? Plus brake question
  • Help

Default What is this plug for? Plus brake question

Car : S3 205 GTI

Any idea what the plug is for? It runs along the back of the engine bay up the top from right to left (when viewing engine bay from front).

Advertisement

How does the brake system work on the 205? Since i have rebuilt the engine something is just not right with the brakes, it feels like i am not getting any assistance from the servo, the brakes are absolutely terrible.

Do the brakes rely on any power to boost the system? or is that not how the servo works? (is it purely hydraulic or rely on some kind of electric pump?)

Not sure if the plug i am asking about is related, it happens to end just at the brake master cylinder/servo

Maybe i just need to bleed the brakes...the pedal doesnt feel too mushy though!

Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is this plug for? Plus brake question-photo-1-.jpg  

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jack205 View Post
    Car : S3 205 GTI

Any idea what the plug is for? It runs along the back of the engine bay up the top from right to left (when viewing engine bay from front).

How does the brake system work on the 205? Since i have rebuilt the engine something is just not right with the brakes, it feels like i am not getting any assistance from the servo, the brakes are absolutely terrible.

Do the brakes rely on any power to boost the system? or is that not how the servo works? (is it purely hydraulic or rely on some kind of electric pump?)

Not sure if the plug i am asking about is related, it happens to end just at the brake master cylinder/servo

Maybe i just need to bleed the brakes...the pedal doesnt feel too mushy though!

Any suggestions?
    Vacuum booster, there should be a hose from the inlet manifold to the booster, (Master Cylinder sits on it).

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Vacuum booster, there should be a hose from the inlet manifold to the booster, (Master Cylinder sits on it).
    I cant see a hose going from the booster to the inlet manifold ? where does it connect to each? As per haynes, when the pedal is applied whilst the car is being started the pedal drops a bit, so that would suggest that at least some suction is being achieved? Does the plug come into consideration in all this?
    Thanks for your help Graham!

VIP Sponsor

Plastic plug in the front of the booster, don't know about the other end in a S3.

That looks like the diagnostic plug to me. The booster hose should be pretty obvious it goes from booster to inlet manifold just above the throttle body.

Thread Information