205 V6 qld mod
  • Help

Thread: 205 V6 qld mod

Default 205 V6 qld mod

I am just wondering if any one has finished a 205 V6 conversion in qld and been able to get it registered. As i have spoken to people and they are saying that having a V6 and not having upgraded brakes from a Gti could be a problem. But could be changed. Not sure if its worth the time if i cant even get it registered as a club car even. Also has anyone done it with a series 2 406 engine. Main problem is not sure if the computer will be able to talk other components. Therefore may not start.

Advertisement

Help please and cheers for any help.
    Lyle

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 01YLE View Post
    I am just wondering if any one has finished a 205 V6 conversion in qld and been able to get it registered. As i have spoken to people and they are saying that having a V6 and not having upgraded brakes from a Gti could be a problem. But could be changed. Not sure if its worth the time if i cant even get it registered as a club car even. Also has anyone done it with a series 2 406 engine. Main problem is not sure if the computer will be able to talk other components. Therefore may not start.

Help please and cheers for any help.
    when you get some answers could i suggest you buy the car that is advertised on this site as i doubt you could buy the bits and a car for the price he is wanting
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Its a mega bargain hey $1k lol

in nsw its a no, because the car is too light for its displacement increase. a more suitable candidate would be a 306 gti or gti6, as at least that is acceptable to have it engineered (with other suitable modifications). i gather its similar in qld. going off your post im guessing you havent done anything of this scope before.. a series 1 motor is what i would be using, as the engine ecu doesnt operate on a CAN network as far as i remember. best option in this case would be to use an aftermarket engine computer for either the 406 or 406R engines (s1 and s2). if you go ahead with it, dont forget the driveshafts need modifying, the subframe needs cutting for diff clearance and a top engine mount that is suitable needs to be located. sometimes they are on ebay uk. hope this helps
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

I would have thought that the V6 just weighs too much, stuffing up the nimble feel of the front end.
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by Capago View Post
    in nsw its a no, because the car is too light for its displacement increase. a more suitable candidate would be a 306 gti or gti6, as at least that is acceptable to have it engineered (with other suitable modifications). i gather its similar in qld. going off your post im guessing you havent done anything of this scope before.. a series 1 motor is what i would be using, as the engine ecu doesnt operate on a CAN network as far as i remember. best option in this case would be to use an aftermarket engine computer for either the 406 or 406R engines (s1 and s2). if you go ahead with it, dont forget the driveshafts need modifying, the subframe needs cutting for diff clearance and a top engine mount that is suitable needs to be located. sometimes they are on ebay uk. hope this helps
    is there a link or document that shows what can and can't do ??

i understand the engine size v car weight but i can also remember 307's in LJ torries and it was always stated that a V8 in anything with a wheel base under 100" and you will swap ends very easily but they were still done by people and registered

just be interesting to see what is still allowed and if you can find it that would be great
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Capago View Post
    what do the 205's weigh, each series ??

i'd say you would nearly get away with it at a little under 3000cc

if a 205 weighs 980, that gives you 2940cc

now in the fine print it says the vehicle model witj the largest engine available in that model so that means if a series 3 is the heaviest 205 then you can use that weight minus optional extras, now then things like AC weren't really optional on them, they were standard equipment but even so i don't think the RTA will be that harsh if they see that a 205 weighed in at just over 1000kg and you have a 29xx cc engine in it

now then a 604 at 1470kg means i can put in an engine up to 7085cc or 5880cc if turbo charged

that link saved me the time searching and i appreciate it so now i can go ahead with a plan i have
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Yer i was looking into that car and finishing off. but think its not viable if it can not be registered up here. Every one that i have been talking to thinks that the ecu on the 406 motor will be a problem, for the fact that 205 has no traction control or ABS which the 406 ecu has to engage before the engine will start. not having these and I will have an engine that wont start and no practical reason not to.

Also people that i have been talking to have been saying that if its so easy to be finished why hasn't he finished it etc. Maybe the realization of not being able to finish the car is why hes giving it the flick.
    Lyle

Ditch the V6 and restore it!

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Ditch the V6 and restore it!
    +1, the DKZ engine in the for sale section is on ebay currently at $99, with only minutes to go, bargain car, bargain engine.

I wanted to do exactly that but he's already sold the car locally.

Quote Originally Posted by 01YLE View Post
    Yer i was looking into that car and finishing off. but think its not viable if it can not be registered up here. Every one that i have been talking to thinks that the ecu on the 406 motor will be a problem, for the fact that 205 has no traction control or ABS which the 406 ecu has to engage before the engine will start. not having these and I will have an engine that wont start and no practical reason not to.

Also people that i have been talking to have been saying that if its so easy to be finished why hasn't he finished it etc. Maybe the realization of not being able to finish the car is why hes giving it the flick.
    as i said, use an aftermarket engine computer. what you have or dont have is none of its business! its job is to run the engine nothing else, no worrying about clutch switches or key transponders or ABS brakes etc etc..

We had the car running on the standard ecu, twisted a few wires together, took it for a quick fang down the alley way, but only a short squirt as we had no radiator.
    It sounded awesome, it was meant to be a silly car, just a bit of fun.
    The guy who bought it is pulln the v6 to resto it.
    1964 S2A LWB Landy Served in 1st ATF Vietnam
    1987 205 GTI Turbo
    2008 TE 510
    2012 Triton GLX 4x4
    2012 CX5 TT Diesel

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by crims View Post
    We had the car running on the standard ecu, twisted a few wires together, took it for a quick fang down the alley way, but only a short squirt as we had no radiator.
    It sounded awesome, it was meant to be a silly car, just a bit of fun.
    The guy who bought it is pulln the v6 to resto it.
    Excellent, it looked like a good car.

mmm would be better to finish as a 6, a lot of work to bring it back from the dark side.
    1964 S2A LWB Landy Served in 1st ATF Vietnam
    1987 205 GTI Turbo
    2008 TE 510
    2012 Triton GLX 4x4
    2012 CX5 TT Diesel

would have been an awesome car once done. All i wanted to be sure is that i could eventually get it registered.

on another note saw a guy who has 400hp in a 205Gti that he has built. said a little breath on the throttle puts you into another postcode. what a weapon of a car.
    Lyle

The engine in my car is tunable to about 400hp but let me tell you that this amount is ridiculous in a FWD car that weighs 900kg. 250 is plenty to scare the sh!t out of you in a 205, good fun though.
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Thread Information