Never rent a gas cylinder again
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Never rent a gas cylinder again

Available Sydney - Wetherill Park- Campbelltown- Tahmoor- Grafton- Blue Mountains -Wollongong- Sydney Suburbs- Manly Vale-Brookvale- Orange - Newcastle

http://speedgas.com.au/argon.html

Advertisement

I'm not associated with these guys at all, haven't checked the pricing, but it is targeted toward farmers, enthusiast welders etc

Costs of renting gas cylinders is often debated in this forum - now there is an option.

"Own your Cylinder - Save Money, never pay rent again...!
    SpeedGas are able to sell cylinders outright. It makes sense for most clients to own their cylinder rather than pay rent!
    Rent quickly adds up, owning will save you money. No need for deposits and ongoing rental."

"Re-fills are done with a simple swap. We take your empty and give you a full one in return.
    "SpeedSwap" "

"SpeedGas is an authorised testing facility and hydrostatically tests cylinders. When you purchase your cylinder, outright from SpeedGas all you have to do is return the cylinder to us every ten years and we will re-test it for you."

I wonder how this works?. Not doubting the commonsense of owning "your cylinder". But how do they know "your cylinder" is being tested? Or is there a fee after 10 years of doing business? What does "your cylinder cost outright". Most cylinders aren't practical to test costwise anyway.

Pity they aren't in Vic- I'm dealing with r@pists for three E size cylinders!

While I am naturally suspicious, the timing of this advice is serendipitous. One bloke I work with a bit, had decided it was about time to get N2 in a bottle. Good for testing AC condensers, inflating N2-filled tyres and of course (for me!) sphere gassing. Will report back with price quoted.

One potential drawback I see, is that you become bound to that company's filling pressures and price structure.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    While I am naturally suspicious, the timing of this advice is serendipitous. One bloke I work with a bit, had decided it was about time to get N2 in a bottle. Good for testing AC condensers, inflating N2-filled tyres and of course (for me!) sphere gassing. Will report back with price quoted.

One potential drawback I see, is that you become bound to that company's filling pressures and price structure.
    Test AC condenser with compressed air!

Vac them down after they have proved they are OK to remove moisture.

Dry nitrogen only needs to be used when a compressor & oil are included in the leak test items.

N2 is too bloody expensive. I my airline, with a dryer, and paint brush with soap!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    "Own your Cylinder - Save Money, never pay rent again...!
    SpeedGas are able to sell cylinders outright. It makes sense for most clients to own their cylinder rather than pay rent!
    Rent quickly adds up, owning will save you money. No need for deposits and ongoing rental."

"Re-fills are done with a simple swap. We take your empty and give you a full one in return.
    "SpeedSwap" "

"SpeedGas is an authorised testing facility and hydrostatically tests cylinders. When you purchase your cylinder, outright from SpeedGas all you have to do is return the cylinder to us every ten years and we will re-test it for you."

I wonder how this works?. Not doubting the commonsense of owning "your cylinder". But how do they know "your cylinder" is being tested? Or is there a fee after 10 years of doing business? What does "your cylinder cost outright". Most cylinders aren't practical to test costwise anyway.

Pity they aren't in Vic- I'm dealing with r@pists for three E size cylinders!

I hope someone extends this to acetylene and oxy bottles and get away from the BOC monopoly as they want to track all bottles and don't recognise that some already "own" their own cylinders. My plumber mate used to also have "E" size bottles and we would alternate in getting them filled so you were never stuck without gas and even better when your account could fill either oxy or acetylene.

I had an oxy bottle account hire and he had acetylene and the arrangement worked, but now they only want to fill their own particular cylinder. I guess that might change if a new player came on the market.

Now they would want me to also rent an acetylene cylinder (which I may do so) when needed!!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I hope someone extends this to acetylene and oxy bottles and get away from the BOC monopoly as they want to track all bottles and don't recognise that some already "own" their own cylinders. My plumber mate used to also have "E" size bottles and we would alternate in getting them filled so you were never stuck without gas and even better when your account could fill either oxy or acetylene.

I had an oxy bottle account hire and he had acetylene and the arrangement worked, but now they only want to fill their own particular cylinder. I guess that might change if a new player came on the market.

Now they would want me to also rent an acetylene cylinder (which I may do so) when needed!!

Ken
    He's not the only one to get tripped up.... the advice given by the BOC dude was to leave the cylinders on the loading dock and p!ss off.

BTW liquid air are similar to BOC, I rent my migshield from them.

EDIT: In first six months of recording every cylinder transaction , BOC "found" 10,000 containers. After 12 months they had twice as many as last stocktake.

A few others were doing it too!

1000+ Posts

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    He's not the only one to get tripped up.... the advice given by the BOC dude was to leave the cylinders on the loading dock and p!ss off.

BTW liquid air are similar to BOC, I rent my migshield from them.

EDIT: In first six months of recording every cylinder transaction , BOC "found" 10,000 containers. After 12 months they had twice as many as last stocktake.

A few others were doing it too!
    I suppose that if one had a spare cylinder, you could convert the empty cylinders into massive chimes by cutting the tubes to different tuneable lengths. I have seen those in Hawaii , now that would be better than leaving a spare on a loading dock..

Only a grumpy old ..fart would want to do that of course..

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I suppose that if one had a spare cylinder, you could convert the empty cylinders into massive chimes by cutting the tubes to different tuneable lengths. I have seen those in Hawaii , now that would be better than leaving a spare on a loading dock..

Only a grumpy old ..fart would want to do that of course..

Ken

^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    Make Sure it's empty first! ^

Fellow Frogger!

I purchased a e size cylinder in January. Price seemed good considering the cost of rental the cost equates to about 2.5 years rental. It might take me that long to use the gas. Cost around $415 for a full bottle to start. Luckily there is a local reseller that handles them.

Tim

Thread Information