306 Braided Brake Lines
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 306 Braided Brake Lines

I changed over the discs the other week on my 94 306 S16 and one caliper (due to a split piston rubber) to remove the shuddering (I suspected a warped disc). It worked a treat.

However, when bleeding the brake, (valve open), no fluid came out and there was still resistance on the pedal. So, I pressed the brake a little harder, and then all of a sudden, it sort of released (soft popping noise) and then things were business as usual, until....

I jacked her up today and noticed brake fluid coming from the brake line. When you put a bit of pressure on the brake, it drips out above the crimping on the line (caliper side)

I'm hoping there isn't anything stuck in line that caused this, or maybe it cracked when I was doing the bleeding. Anyway, a new hose is needed, so I may as well upgrade to braided.

Advertisement

Just wondering if there's any good place to get braided brake lines for my 306 s16, whether it be a per-packaged set, or a made to order workshop
    (Sydney/Wollongong)

I've noticed the Goodridge one's on ebay but I think they come with zinc fittings, rather than stainless steel ones...

Any recommendations...

Fellow Frogger!

Goodridge are cheap AND ADR approved which is nice.

I have bought quite a few sets ex-UK, through the various Fleabay trading identities of JD Motorsport/David Dent.

You can order stainless ends, and specify ADR/TÜV certification, although the combination of these aspects will take another three weeks - David will tell you this; it's no secret. Actual transit time is around six-seven days otherwise.

I've had reason to use the Goodridge factory customer service (no defect, just a build spec was wrong) and they are first class when it comes to making you happy and safe again.

Be advised that Goodridge hoses lack the relief/antichafe "spring" wraps and sundry grommets that encase many OEM style brake lines. I usually slice these grommets radially to peel them off the line and fit them to the new one with a dab of yellow Zap superglue to hold the cut faces together.

Also, bleeding many Pug rear brakes can be a right bastard. Goodwins use a vac bleeder, while others use reverse pressure. If you have a rear axle compensator you must wire it fully open with baling wire before bleeding, but don't forget to cut this off after - makes life interesting if you don't!

Cheers, Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I have bought quite a few sets ex-UK, through the various Fleabay trading identities of JD Motorsport/David Dent.

You can order stainless ends, and specify ADR/TÜV certification, although the combination of these aspects will take another three weeks - David will tell you this; it's no secret. Actual transit time is around six-seven days otherwise.

I've had reason to use the Goodridge factory customer service (no defect, just a build spec was wrong) and they are first class when it comes to making you happy and safe again.

Be advised that Goodridge hoses lack the relief/antichafe "spring" wraps and sundry grommets that encase many OEM style brake lines. I usually slice these grommets radially to peel them off the line and fit them to the new one with a dab of yellow Zap superglue to hold the cut faces together.

Also, bleeding many Pug rear brakes can be a right bastard. Goodwins use a vac bleeder, while others use reverse pressure. If you have a rear axle compensator you must wire it fully open with baling wire before bleeding, but don't forget to cut this off after - makes life interesting if you don't!

Cheers, Adam.
    I don't know what you guys are paying for hoses.

But they may be cheaper locally made and certainly less fuss.

Any reputable brake shop, who has a brakequip on-site hose system can make braided hoses. Brakequip have a standard series of fittings. The hose can either be neoprene or stainless braided.

For normal neoprene hose the crimping ferrule is fitted directly over the hose and then crimped.
    For stainless braided, an additional neoprene sleeve is fitted between the ferrule and braided hose, then crimped.

Each hose is tested to 3x working pressure after crimping on the same machine. Both the neoprene and braided hoses are ADR approved.

Normal hoses 300mm cost me around $15.00 each. Braided hoses cost me around $35.00 for the same length.

http://www.brakequip.com.au/media

Hello Robert,

There appear to be only four hoses on a 306, not the six on a disc 405 or any 605. Typically it looks like they are now costing $120/set in zinc fittings with ADR paperwork, landed from the vendors I use.

Bearing in mind Internet Forum Rule #1: Always talk about something for ages before actually doing it - there may be adequate time for an overseas order to arrive!

Brake/clutch places up here are generally uninterested if it's not a Falcodore or someone willing to have (stupid enough to not notice?) 3/32" skimmed off their flywheel. Anything intellectual or quality is out of their league. I've been jaded/ripped off by three separate entities; with that record, why would I give a fourth one the chance?

Cheers, Adam.

Brake/clutch places up here are generally uninterested if it's not a Falcodore or someone willing to have (stupid enough to not notice?) 3/32" skimmed off their flywheel. Anything intellectual or quality is out of their league. I've been jaded/ripped off by three separate entities; with that record, why would I give a fourth one the chance?

Cheers, Adam.
    Try Narrabeen brakes.

There are fuego friendly, so a pug should be easy peasy.

Jo

Hello Robert,

There appear to be only four hoses on a 306, not the six on a disc 405 or any 605. Typically it looks like they are now costing $120/set in zinc fittings with ADR paperwork, landed from the vendors I use.

Bearing in mind Internet Forum Rule #1: Always talk about something for ages before actually doing it - there may be adequate time for an overseas order to arrive!

Cheers, Adam.
    Send me a sample set of hoses, condition unimportant

Once Kerry knows the fittings and length he can churn out neoprene or braided sets at will.

After that all you need is email him with your details and deposit funds. He can ship them to anywhere.

It's got to better to support Australian Suppliers than going off shore!

BTW there nothing in it for me, except an unpaid trip to Cheltenham. Kerry and Val at Better Brakes have bent over backwards to help me and I would like to give some work if they can be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I don't know what you guys are paying for hoses.

But they may be cheaper locally made and certainly less fuss.

Any reputable brake shop, who has a brakequip on-site hose system can make braided hoses. Brakequip have a standard series of fittings. The hose can either be neoprene or stainless braided.

For normal neoprene hose the crimping ferrule is fitted directly over the hose and then crimped.
    For stainless braided, an additional neoprene sleeve is fitted between the ferrule and braided hose, then crimped.

Each hose is tested to 3x working pressure after crimping on the same machine. Both the neoprene and braided hoses are ADR approved.

Normal hoses 300mm cost me around $15.00 each. Braided hoses cost me around $35.00 for the same length.

http://www.brakequip.com.au/media
    I'll second this. I had my fronts done by this system on the Gold Coast. They were able to add a few extra centimeters due to a different size disc and caliper setup. They could see the problem, suggested the solution and I collected the hoses the next day.

Good Stuff!
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingus View Post
    I changed over the discs the other week on my 94 306 S16 and one caliper (due to a split piston rubber) to remove the shuddering (I suspected a warped disc). It worked a treat.

However, when bleeding the brake, (valve open), no fluid came out and there was still resistance on the pedal. So, I pressed the brake a little harder, and then all of a sudden, it sort of released (soft popping noise) and then things were business as usual, until....

I jacked her up today and noticed brake fluid coming from the brake line. When you put a bit of pressure on the brake, it drips out above the crimping on the line (caliper side)

I'm hoping there isn't anything stuck in line that caused this, or maybe it cracked when I was doing the bleeding. Anyway, a new hose is needed, so I may as well upgrade to braided.

Just wondering if there's any good place to get braided brake lines for my 306 s16, whether it be a per-packaged set, or a made to order workshop
    (Sydney/Wollongong)

I've noticed the Goodridge one's on ebay but I think they come with zinc fittings, rather than stainless steel ones...

Any recommendations...
    I got my braided hoses from Burt Bros - http://www.burtbrosautomotive.com.au..._services.html.

All ADR approved etc, only bummer was they had to have the original hoses to make the braided ones up so car had to be off the road for a couple of days.
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    They were able to add a few extra centimeters....
    Good Stuff!
    Ah, so size does matter.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Default Shikes!

Well I've called two places connected with Brakequip, and they both quoted around $75 for a normal braided hose (just one!) and that's without knowing if they have the peugeot fittings... So I'll guess I'll just have to pony up the $140 cash, or maybe go for the standard neoprene babies, because that just seems way too much. I can get replacements for $30 each at Dapco, but that's a trip to Sydney.

Fellow Frogger!

Okay, got the new hoses in. I wanted stainless fittings, but they supposedly don't exist in the correct type - though I'm sure you could use a different one (without splines) with a bit of reworking. What was slightly annoying was the zinc plated ones had a bit too much plating on them when fitting them into the grooved bracket, so I had to round the bracket out a little. Nonetheless, the brakes feel good and a fatal accident is made less likely from a technical leak, but forever lingers due to greater confidence (and the human error than derives from it).

Thanks for the links and feedback fellas/ladies.

Thread Information