205 GTI Fuel Economy
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default 205 GTI Fuel Economy

Out of interest just wondered what other people get to a tank full. With my S3 doing mainly city stuff and the odd fang at 100 or over on the freeway I consistently get 520 to 540 ks per tank. At 540 I can hear the fuel pump whine around some corners though....

Advertisement

I don't even know how many liters the tank holds.

A more reliable measure is to work out how much you use per 100km because you don't know how much you fill the tank, how much your pump can scavenge, etc. I fill until I see the fuel in the filler neck (stabilised). Reset the odo every fill and work out the average.

My figures hover around 8l/100km in mostly city driving and peak hour traffic.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    Out of interest just wondered what other people get to a tank full. With my S3 doing mainly city stuff and the odd fang at 100 or over on the freeway I consistently get 520 to 540 ks per tank. At 540 I can hear the fuel pump whine around some corners though....
    Its a 50 litre tank, with say 5 litres left over after 520km, 45/520 = 0.8654 >> 8.65 L/100km

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I don't even know how many liters the tank holds.

A more reliable measure is to work out how much you use per 100km because you don't know how much you fill the tank, how much your pump can scavenge, etc. I fill until I see the fuel in the filler neck (stabilised). Reset the odo every fill and work out the average.

My figures hover around 8l/100km in mostly city driving and peak hour traffic.
    Well explained but I couldn't care less about l/100 kms. As per the title just interested in per tank as we all have the same size tanks and pump setups.....

Quote Originally Posted by jack205 View Post
    Its a 50 litre tank, with say 5 litres left over after 520km, 45/520 = 0.8654 >> 8.65 L/100km
    You have managed to make two mistakes that compensate each other. 45/250 is not 0.86..whatever, but 0.086..so on. You multiplied with 10 then instead of 100 so you get the correct result.

But that is academic. What is more important is that you guess there are 5 liters left in the tank. Well, if you're out by 1 liter, the fuel consumption becomes 8.8 l/100km. That is a 2.3% error. One more liter out the same way and the error becomes 4.6%.

Why is this important?

If you keep accurate records of your fuel consumption it can be a very good indicator of something wrong with the car. With your method you don't have enough accuracy.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

You have managed to make two mistakes that compensate each other. 45/250 is not 0.86..whatever, but 0.086..so on. You multiplied with 10 then instead of 100 so you get the correct result.

But that is academic. What is more important is that you guess there are 5 liters left in the tank. Well, if you're out by 1 liter, the fuel consumption becomes 8.8 l/100km. That is a 2.3% error. One more liter out the same way and the error becomes 4.6%.

Why is this important?

If you keep accurate records of your fuel consumption it can be a very good indicator of something wrong with the car. With your method you don't have enough accuracy.
    A 4yl 1.6L Engine in a car weighing about 900kg gives 8.8 L/100 km?

My 3L V6 Railway carriage weighing 1700kg odd has returned 10.1L/100km for last the four tanks and I certainly don't drive it "gently".

What's going on?? about 25% difference between two very different cars, I would have expected the GTI to much better fuel consumption.

Why is this important?

Haha nicely picked up, forgot to add a zero in there, i agree, i wouldnt use the per tank method either to be honest, i usually reset my km's each time i fill up, and fill up to the exact same point as the previous time, (as you mentioned in earlier post) hence making that calculation give an accurate result.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

My 3L V6 Railway carriage weighing 1700kg odd has returned 10.1L/100km for last the four tanks and I certainly don't drive it "gently".

What's going on?? about 25% difference between two very different cars, I would have expected the GTI to much better fuel consumption.
    Its a 1.9L and they have short gears. What is your railway carriage?

They are designed with a little performance in mind and are very twitchy on the throttle and have a pretty primitive engine management system. ALso, most of them are driven with a heavish foot too.

I used to get about 600 form my old S3 when driving with the girlfriend in the car and about 400 without... And about 550 form My S1. I would fill up, drive until I could not make the warning light flash anymore and fill up again. I was 17...

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

The first tankful in my second 205 GTi lasted approximately 330km... That was fun
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

S1 205 GTi Mi16 getting 7L/100km. Thats with gearing that sees about 3500 rpm at 100 kph.
    Its more economical than either of my auto Si s.

Paul

“A straight is merely the distance between two corners.”

“Corners: radar free zones.”

Current: Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16 1987
    Peugeot 205 Si, one red one silver, both 1991.
    Peugeot 504 Wagon, V6 and 5 speed gearbox.
    Isuzu (Holden) Rodeo, 4WD dual cab, extended chassis.
    Past: Goliath, Isuzu Bellett, Austin A30, Peugeot 203, 403, 404, 504,505.
    Subaru 4WD wagon, Toyota Hilux Dual Cab Diesel 4WD.

Makotrac 205 GTi 06-05-2012 best lap 1 min 20 sec.

Approx. 1L per lap at Eastern Creek North, or 100L/100Km. Is that ok?
    Last edited by PeterT; 13th June 2012 at 12:29 AM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I'd be extremely happy with 8.8L / 100KM in mostly city driving!! especially for a sporty car!! I think the absolute best I have ever got in City driving with my S16 is probably around 12L / 100KM (about 450KM on a 60L tank!! The really weird thing is it doesn't matter how I drive it it doesn't seem to make any difference. I can redline it every 1st to 2nd gear change for the tank and it will return the same economy as if I change at 3000 for the whole tank.

Best I've got on the highway is probably around 7L / 100KM. (aus standard figures are 5.8L /100KM highway and 10.5L/100KM city).

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

MY 306 1.8 manual routinely does 7.8l/100ks.

Had a BF falcon ute that showed an instantaneous fuel consumption of 99l/100ks and then just flashed at you in absolute confusion.... Turbo Territory does about 15 towing the 405 on a tandem trailer - and makes 247kw at the wheels (awd) hehehe.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

It's 1900cc not 1600, Rob.

But you're right. My son's 88 Civic (1500cc, twin carb, not even FI!) returns about the same (low 8) in the same conditions, and low 7 to high 6 on highway.

Remember though this is a very low compression engine that has a shedload of low rev torque. The Civic needs to be revved to high heaven to pull away but has high compression and once in motion doesn't use much fuel to keep going (come to think of it I have never seen such a deceiving car. Looks small and light but is a pig to push start. It's easier to push start a Renault 12 station wagon. Can't explain it, it's probably made of Uranium).

Anyhoo.

Your car is probably low km too, has much more modern engine management and high compression. I remember seeing the last Monaro when it came out in the dealership. It had the fuel consumption figures on a sticker in the windshield. 9l/100km from a 5l V8. 13 in urban cycle. That is the power of technology.

I think we forget how powerful these little electronic gizmos are.

I can support the testimony above about the Mi16. My wife's does that constantly. i think you can push 900km on a tank in that car.

I get about 430-440km in the 205 GTI before the fuel light is on solid. Ha. Not much that can take you on at the lights in the first five meters.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 13th June 2012 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    The first tankful in my second 205 GTi lasted approximately 330km... That was fun
    You got as far as that.
    Brother in laws RX8 is much worse/better

Fellow Frogger!

Never had much of a clue how much either of my GTi's consume...and dearly my frank I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a stick than work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    You got as far as that.
    Brother in laws RX8 is much worse/better
    Ah, but that's a rotary vs. a piston engine
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Approx. 1L per lap at Eastern Creek North, or 100L/100Km. Is that ok?
    That's the figure we always used when doing any/all fuel consumption figures for a V8 Commodore Rally car. Tarmac has a higher % of throttle opening against a dirt surface, the best parallel is that Rally tyres offer about the same level of grip as wet bitumen under brakes.
    As for Rotary engines my personal guesstimate is that a full on race engine delivers a small, but meaningful, forward thrust from the Jet like exhaust gases.
    Brendan

I just got my first gti, its a 89 205 and I must admit I have that kick in the nuts feeling with the fuel consumption. I filled her up and Im sitting on around 233kms with just over/under a 1/4 tank depending on how the fuel gauge is feeling. Is this normal? I mean it is my first tank and I have been driving it with a big dumb grin on my face and my foot not moving far off the floor. Even if I take it easy I dont see it reaching 540km's or anywhere near!
    Last edited by GTI2O5; 17th August 2012 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI2O5 View Post
    I just got my first gti, its a 89 205 and I must admit I have that kick in the nuts feeling with the fuel consumption. I filled her up and Im sitting on around 233kms with just over/under a 1/4 tank depending on how the fuel gauge is feeling. Is this normal? I mean it is my first tank and I have been driving it with a big dumb grin on my face and my foot not moving far off the floor. Even if I take it easy I dont see it reaching 540km's or anywhere near!
    Yep, that would be about right.

We should probably have a prize for anyone who does 500km or more on a tank in a 205 GTI. That is a seriously patient driver.

My cammed, after market ecu-running pug does 400km/tank in heavy traffic. I reckon probably 11L/100km. Pretty happy with that really. I barely get over 40L in the tank when my empty light flicks on, and I feel my needle is a little erratic too, but whatever.

The best I managed in my first 205 GTi was 523km before filling up. That included driving from near Hornsby, NSW down to Berrara (just south of Sussex Inlet) and back, plus a bit of driving to and from the station etc.
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

Well if that sounds right then the bloke I got the car off doesn't know the meaning to spirited driving :S
    550-600km's my ass!

Good mileage for a donkey.

Fellow Frogger!

My city commute mileage rocketed up when I realized how easily these things accept short shifting 3rd and 4th and just cruising around in 5th. The torque/gearing is so good it still pulls well from 1500rpm. When I was sitting in 3rd or 4th all the time it drank fuel like crazy. Fun though.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information