Which engine do i have?
  • Help

Default Which engine do i have?

Ok, so i have a 1992 205 GTI,

I have the original Peugeot documentation that came with the car which suggests that i have a XU9JA/Z engine, which makes a whole lot of sense considering the year of the car.

Now, i know the engine has had a rebuild and/or likely a complete swap in the past..

I went to buy distributor leads the other day for the XU9JA/Z, when it came to fitting them on, i found they all fitted fine except that the coil had a male fitting, whereas the lead that i had been given was suited to a female fitting.

Hmmm.. After doing some investigation i found that the 405 came out with a XU9JA/Z motor? And sure enough, the coil has a male fitting just like mine..

So, unless i have a 405 coil, and 205 everything else, chances are that the whole engine is out of a 405

My question, firstly, how do i tell apart from the coil differences, what engine i have? are they basically the same? i have already fitted a water pump, crank seal, and timing belt..they all seemed to fit okay, are there any differences between models in this aspect?

Cheers

Advertisement

Jack

yours should have the coil on inlet manifold? when i bought my ngk lead kit the guy assured me it was for a late model 205 but it still had the wrong coil lead. i would say they have give you a early model lead kit where the coil is located on the pass side strut tower.
    Last edited by djvu205; 4th June 2012 at 09:00 PM.

Yep, i have the coil on the inlet manifold,

The bloke i talked to at EAI (where i bought it from) assured me that it was the right kit, i even went to the extent of sending him photos to prove that it didnt fit, after asking him what fitting the 405 model had, he concluded that it was in fact a male end at the coil on the 405 just like mine! So a 405 XU9JA/Z distributor lead fits, but a 205 one doesn't, which would suggest i have a 405 engine? or just a 405 coil?

I'm pretty sure engines are the same but some fittings are different as you have found out. Back to the leads if all you need is a lead for the coil why not get one made at somewhere like Performance Ignition in Nunawading.

I am not too concerned about the leads as i am able to return them and get the 405 leads, my main concern was as i am doing a head change in the coming weeks, i need to make sure the parts i am buying for the car are the correct ones, ie seals, head gasket,

So does anyone know what distinguishes the 405 motor from the 205 one apart from the coil connection? Or if you are sure Andrew..i will just run with that

XU9JAZ motor is the same regardless of the car it's in......I know no more than provided in my previous post

Just another thought why not ring a Peugeot workshop or dealer spare parts and see if coils are the same apart from fitting ? If so just swap coil over and then you can use leads you already have.

Thread Information