Transmission whine in BA7 Peugeot 5 speed
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Transmission whine in BA7 Peugeot 5 speed

OK before everyone gets up me let me say at the outset, I have been listening to this whine in the gearbox for about 5 years and sometimes I actually enjoy it. I say to my self 'self, it is a reminder of the old 403 in overdrive". But Mrs Mac refuses to come with me in the old 404 anymore until I 'get rid of that bloody noise'.

This is the 404 that has the V6 in it.

What about putting some molleybond or some addative in it. What is it that causes this whine? Regards Graham

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Is the whine still in the car when Mrs Mac hops out ?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob D View Post
    Is the whine still in the car when Mrs Mac hops out ?
    That's bloody funny Bob.
    Yes it is still there. So what would someone with you intelligence do about it. Banana peels,recondition the box, throw in some sawdust or put in some Slick 50? Regards Graham

Fellow Frogger!

My apologies to Lynn.

In one 504 sedan with a 7/5, low mileage box....it whined when going down a hill and foot off the accelerator....only when hot.....otherwise perfect. I did put in a tube of something...no difference....tried different oils....no different.
    I used to hate it and swapped the box as I had another.....but it was smooth and quiet at all times except downhill. Additives just did not do it but you may have better luck.

In another 504 I have, the yard yard I bought it from said that the G/Box was worn out. It whined like crazy. I replaced the inner and outer boot on the floor (no console...early model ) and that box was immediately quiet and 200,000km later, it is still perfectly quiet.

Good luck Bob

Usually the primary gears, input and the layshaft gears have been f####d by lack of oil and they have changed shape. A better box is one answer. Another layer of sound insulation, another.
    My favourite is tell the missus she will never have to travel in the car again. Great driving.
    Last edited by stew; 2nd June 2012 at 05:57 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

My apologies to Lynn.

In one 504 sedan with a 7/5, low mileage box....it whined when going down a hill and foot off the accelerator....only when hot.....otherwise perfect. I did put in a tube of something...no difference....tried different oils....no different.
    I used to hate it and swapped the box as I had another.....but it was smooth and quiet at all times except downhill. Additives just did not do it but you may have better luck.

In another 504 I have, the yard yard I bought it from said that the G/Box was worn out. It whined like crazy. I replaced the inner and outer boot on the floor (no console...early model ) and that box was immediately quiet and 200,000km later, it is still perfectly quiet.

Good luck Bob
    She over in Vietnam at the moment with my sister so she won't know what you said.....until I tell her.

I think I'll try a bit of Slick 50 and if that doesn't work I'll get the box out and have a go at it. I know these older Pugs are renouned for the whine.....just as I am renounded for my wine. Having said that it is almost time for 504"s Regards Graham

What gears is it noisy in? Just fifth? If it is only fifth gear that's noisy, it could be a precursor to the 5th gear bearing failing. The good news in that case is that the bearing and in fact the entire fifth gear cluster are pretty straightforward to change, I've even done it without taking the gearbox out of the car.

Does it still do it in fourth? Fourth gear is direct, so there is no gear-on-gear contact, ruling limiting the possibilities to bearings. It is not unusual for the input shaft front bearing to go, making the gearbox noisy all the time.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=Demannu;1067930]What gears is it noisy in? Just fifth? If it is only fifth gear that's noisy, it could be a precursor to the 5th gear bearing failing. The good news in that case is that the bearing and in fact the entire fifth gear cluster are pretty straightforward to change, I've even done it without taking the gearbox out of the car.

Does it still do it in fourth? Fourth gear is direct, so there is no gear-on-gear contact, ruling limiting the possibilities to bearings. It is not unusual for the input shaft front bearing to go, making the gearbox noisy all the time.[/QUOTE
    Only in fifth gear. But the box has about 300,000klms on it so it might be better to get it out and do the lot. Are the bits available? Blokes tell me not to worry about it because it could go for another 100,000k's, but if Lyn is not going to come with me I have no one to make the sandwiches. Regards Graham

If it's just fifth gear, I would suspect the fifth gear bearing. Change it as soon as you can. It's not expensive, and not a difficult job, but when it goes it goes catastrophically and will write off the rest of the gearbox.

The longer you leave it, the more damage is done to the fifth gear cluster. I'm not sure whether you can still buy the gears new, but good secondhand ones are getting thin on the ground.
    Scotty

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    If it's just fifth gear, I would suspect the fifth gear bearing. Change it as soon as you can. It's not expensive, and not a difficult job, but when it goes it goes catastrophically and will write off the rest of the gearbox.

The longer you leave it, the more damage is done to the fifth gear cluster. I'm not sure whether you can still buy the gears new, but good secondhand ones are getting thin on the ground.
    Thanks I'll get onto it. I might but out the call for a good BA7/5 box to see how I go. At least if I can get one I can get it checked out and repaired before I put it in. I am sure the bits wil be available in France somewhere. Regards Graham

If you find a box to rebuild beforehand, I could be interested in your old one. My first gear is noisy, exploratory surgery showed that the case hardening on the first gear cluster and layshaft gears have seen better days.

What BA7 are you looking for? Short or long input shaft?
    Scotty

Fellow Frogger!

....Does it still do it in fourth? Fourth gear is direct, so there is no gear-on-gear contact, ruling limiting the possibilities to bearings. It is not unusual for the input shaft front bearing to go, making the gearbox noisy all the time.
    That would also been my guess. But Stew is right, the BA7 is not suitable for a V6, even a BA10 can hardly take the power of a worked V6.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by ThanosK View Post
    That would also been my guess. But Stew is right, the BA7 is not suitable for a V6, even a BA10 can hardly take the power of a worked V6.
    Now you've got me wondering.

I'll ask Graham Wallis he's been under it and he said something about it being a good big gearbox so maybe it is a BA10.

So if you are plugged in Graham, can you remember what gearbox it is? I am sure it came from a 604. I am not technical so no good me looking at it. Regards Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by grahammac View Post
    Now you've got me wondering.

I'll ask Graham Wallis he's been under it and he said something about it being a good big gearbox so maybe it is a BA10.

So if you are plugged in Graham, can you remember what gearbox it is? I am sure it came from a 604. I am not technical so no good me looking at it. Regards Graham
    The 604 has a BA10

It is most likley to be a BA10 , as far as I know it was the only box that was ever fitted to the V6.
    There is a good supply of BA10 internal parts in the USofA where the BA10 was used in some Jeeps
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    It is most likley to be a BA10 , as far as I know it was the only box that was ever fitted to the V6.
    There is a good supply of BA10 internal parts in the USofA where the BA10 was used in some Jeeps
    Confirming it is a BA10.

I remember Graham Wallis and a couple of other guys climbing under it on one of our PCCV week event and claiming it as a BA 10.

I was confusing the BA7/5 with my 505 wagon which is beautifully quiet.

Thanks Graham

I had a suspicion it might have been a BA10. Nonetheless, everything said about the BA7 applies to the BA10, it is almost identical in design, just bigger and stronger.

I actually find it easier to replace the fifth gear bearing in a BA10, because the bearing is pressed into the rear housing instead of being pressed onto the fifth gear extension shaft, so you can leave the gearbox in-situ and remove the rear cover, and replace the bearing on the bench. Much less faffing about under the car.

I would be very interested in seeing a photo of your rear gearbox mount arrangement in the 404...
    Scotty

Hey guys....just as an aside...Jeep/Chrysler used the BA7 box in some Cherokees, maybe that could be another source for spares as if US companies do anything well, it is produce heaps of spares.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Fellow Frogger!

I had a suspicion it might have been a BA10. Nonetheless, everything said about the BA7 applies to the BA10, it is almost identical in design, just bigger and stronger.

I actually find it easier to replace the fifth gear bearing in a BA10, because the bearing is pressed into the rear housing instead of being pressed onto the fifth gear extension shaft, so you can leave the gearbox in-situ and remove the rear cover, and replace the bearing on the bench. Much less faffing about under the car.

I would be very interested in seeing a photo of your rear gearbox mount arrangement in the 404...
    Everyone asks me about that. When I finally get it up on a hoist I will take some photos. All I know is that the car is a thing of beauty and it goes like s--t off a shovel. If you talk to Hank from the PCCV he'll only want to talk about the rats piss on the tappet covers. But I have changed them to aluminum ones now and they look great. I had it in my shed for about 12 years and the rats took over under the bonnet. Luckily they only went there to urinate and didn't eat anything. Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    Hey guys....just as an aside...Jeep/Chrysler used the BA7 box in some Cherokees, maybe that could be another source for spares as if US companies do anything well, it is produce heaps of spares.
    Thanks, that's great to know. Regards Graham

1000+ Posts

Hi -I am surprised that nobody suggested a couple of pairs of ear muffs-Would have to be the cheapest fix.

Pekay.

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=pekay49;1068213]Hi -I am surprised that nobody suggested a couple of pairs of ear muffs-Would have to be the cheapest fix.

Pekay.[/QUOTE
    I normally put a CD on when I am on my own but Mrs Mac wants it fixed. So fixed it will be.
    I am the master of my domain, but whatever Mrs Mac says will be done.
    After 46 years of marriage I have found this to be the best policy. And also it is very rare for her to approve more expenditure on my toys. Regards Graham

In another 504 I have, the yard I bought it from said that the G/Box was worn out. It whined like crazy. I replaced the inner and outer boot on the floor (no console...early model ) and that box was immediately quiet and 200,000km later, it is still perfectly quiet.
    Same thing with my old 504. Are you sure this is not the problem ? You'd feel a bit silly if you took out the box and it was just the boots.
    Quite surprising how much whining, rattling and other odd noise is let in though a torn boot.

Good thought Mark, but that wouldn't explain why it only happens in fifth...
    Scotty

Fellow Frogger!

Good thought Mark, but that wouldn't explain why it only happens in fifth...
    I'll check the boots out. Trouble is that the car has had extensive modifications to accommodate the V6 engine and it is basically on 504/604 suspension and brakes.

So the gear lever sticks up through the floor through a hle that is about 4 inches in diameter. It has a sock around it but it is getting a bit tatty. I do think it has a fifth gear problem because in all other gears I only get road noise from the gear lever hole and in fifth it is a whine.

I have resigned myself to taking the box out and reconditioning it.

The parts are available and the thread about the Jeep was a good one I have found a guy in Hervey Bay about three hours from me that sells the parts and reconditions the boxes. I will have chat to him.

Many thanks Graham

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information