Aftermarket exhaust cat-back for 205 gti
  • Help

Icon11 Aftermarket exhaust cat-back for 205 gti

As the title reads, Im looking to fit a slightly larger muffler on my 205 gti. Has anyone done this or know of any good places around Sydney that do this? I know that both Piper and Ashley make them to fit, but there must be others. Im thinking that 2.5 inch would be a good size, any opinions?

Cheers in advance,

Max

Advertisement

I hate to sound like an a55... I really do but a good standard exhuast is a pretty good setup. I remember when I got my first 205 I asked the same question... Unfortunately I only had the car 10 weeks and unfortunately got ran off the road bby a drunk driver and ended up rolling it but, my current 205 has a standard exhaust and from a performance point of view there isn't the slightest feeling of choking and even the note is nice (for me anyway).

Having said that, any exhaust shop worth there salt should be able to knock something up. From what I understand 205s do droan with a largr exhaust so be mindfull of that.

I'll be going stainless (just for the note ) when I do the exhaust for my new motor. Size I haven't figured yet. 2 1/4 maybe ???

Just on the sly, I got a K&N pod filter on my 205 and it sounds like it was an exhaust on it, even with a standard pipe and I'm convinced you don't "loose" power. The induction growl is pretty cool.

My 25cents worth....

Chris

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post
    I hate to sound like an a55... I really do but a good standard exhuast is a pretty good setup. I remember when I got my first 205 I asked the same question... Unfortunately I only had the car 10 weeks and unfortunately got ran off the road bby a drunk driver and ended up rolling it but, my current 205 has a standard exhaust and from a performance point of view there isn't the slightest feeling of choking and even the note is nice (for me anyway).

Having said that, any exhaust shop worth there salt should be able to knock something up. From what I understand 205s do droan with a largr exhaust so be mindfull of that.

I'll be going stainless (just for the note ) when I do the exhaust for my new motor. Size I haven't figured yet. 2 1/4 maybe ???

Just on the sly, I got a K&N pod filter on my 205 and it sounds like it was an exhaust on it, even with a standard pipe and I'm convinced you don't "loose" power. The induction growl is pretty cool.

My 25cents worth....

Chris
    Mate very unfortunate about your first pug! I was thinking the same thing, the standard exhaust setup is great as it is, and i have read that unless you have a substantial amount of engine mods, an aftermarket setup will barely increase performance. But i definitely wouldnt mind a little bit more growl. I was planning on fitting a K&N pod filter as well, and your comments have definitely made my choice to buy one easier.
    2 1/4 would be perfect i reckon, my mate has a straight through setup on his mk1 golf with a mk3 engine in it and it sounds amazing, im sure the pug would sound even better.
    Cheers mate

Pleasure

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

if you want growl fit a quality muffler like a lukey on the rear and maybe lose the resonator all together, or put a hotdog in its place. from memory guys on here suggested to me a while back to use a spiral wound resinator and triple flow rear muffler. i think 2" is big enough for a street car.

next time round i would ask for an expansion piece to be put in up the front somewhere to help take some load off the engine pipe, plus on my last setup it got about 1/2" longer overall when it got hot!

PDJ

I've got a Magnex back box with a hotdog and 2 1/4" cat back. It sounds great.
    2 1/2 looses too much back pressure and is super droney on the freeway.
    I got it done at Parramatta exhaust but they seem to have closed now. It's a shame as the guy in there was great.

2.5 on mine, a little loud at idle, especially when your behind the car not so much in front or in it...makes me look like an undesirable going 7500rpm lol want to get an OMP group n exhaust
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Careful!

My advice is to spend the time and money making sure you get the audible affects you do want, but be weary of the ones you don't.

Not sure of the exact details, but I have a 2.25", with a hi-flow cat, mid and rear muffler, on a 16v 205. But the drone between 3-4rpm is really just a bit too much. Although it's fun for a while, when the honeymoon period is over... Yeesh.

It isn't boy racer loud, far from it. But I'll be getting it modified so you can comfortably hold a conversation on the freeway. My standard was fantastic, shame i had to replace it.

I used Parramatta exhaust, I was happy with their work, (I just didn't know enough) and PeterT recommended them. I've had it for 6yrs and it's not stainless and I live right against the coast and it is still good.

Maybe a standard size with the right time and money spent on getting the audible outcome you want?

Renn
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Thread Information