205 rear beam mounts and uprated engine mounts
  • Help

Default 205 rear beam mounts and uprated engine mounts

im about to swap a better condition beam into my 205 and just had a few queries.

slightly off track for a minute, after fitting a group n lower engine mount to my car its done nothing but vibrate to pieces and i havent even driven it anywhere yet! it will be coming out asap and a std one will be put back in.

im wondering if i fitted solid rear beam mounts will this have a similar effect? it is only a road car that may see a fun day here and there. i realise that the engine mount may be a bit more dramatic due to being directly connected to the engine, but i have heard soild rear beam mounts can give similar symptoms?

Advertisement

Mine has solid rear mounts..... 1+

I was uming and ahhing about a stiffer lower engine mount but you've confirmed my idea on running a std one.

Chris

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

I put solid wishbone mounts on my gti6 a while ago and the road noise is still tolerable. Just when you hit a pothole it sounds like its blown the front suspension apart.

I am interested to know what the rear mounts do, I assume pretty similar.
    You can get 'groupN' mounts for a 205 but I can't see them anywhere for a 306. Not immediate, just considering my options.

P.s. roller bearing/solid wishbone mounts are awesome! Turns in like a car 300kg lighter....
    Last edited by Karoshi; 25th May 2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Grammar!

Quote Originally Posted by Karoshi View Post
    You can get 'groupN' mounts for a 205 but I can't see them anywhere for a 306
    where do you get group n rear mount for a 205 ? i couldnt find any?

swapped the beam over last night took three hrs to pull old one out and put new one in. ended up fitting the std rubber mounts for now, it sat a bit too high for my liking so this morning i dropped it by using the method on 205 gti drivers forum. one side at a time and one spline. its now too low i measured the centre to centre distance of the shocker bolts and its around 305mm.

im sure i remember reading that if you make dummy shocks up that you can get finer adjustment by doing both side at the same time? can anyone shed some light on that?

im worried if i pull both side apart that it will end up all over the shop. it needs to come up about half what i orignally lowered it. doing it with the above method doesnt allow that? the good thing is that it was a dream to pull apart. it all slide apart very easily and the shafts look new on the outer part didnt check the inners at this stage.

im told that std 205 setup is 322mm cen to cen, i have 305mm so after some searching im going to attemp to set it at 313mm. these are the figures i have come up with using the std ARB and torsion bar.

322mm = 615mm ground to arch
    305mm = 570mm ground to arch

so im hoping

313mm = 595mm ish ground to arch

any hints or tips appreciated,

Bakers have them on their website.... 25 +'postage

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by djvu205 View Post
    swapped the beam over last night took three hrs to pull old one out and put new one in. ended up fitting the std rubber mounts for now, it sat a bit too high for my liking so this morning i dropped it by using the method on 205 gti drivers forum. one side at a time and one spline. its now too low i measured the centre to centre distance of the shocker bolts and its around 305mm.

im sure i remember reading that if you make dummy shocks up that you can get finer adjustment by doing both side at the same time? can anyone shed some light on that?

im worried if i pull both side apart that it will end up all over the shop. it needs to come up about half what i orignally lowered it. doing it with the above method doesnt allow that? the good thing is that it was a dream to pull apart. it all slide apart very easily and the shafts look new on the outer part didnt check the inners at this stage.

im told that std 205 setup is 322mm cen to cen, i have 305mm so after some searching im going to attemp to set it at 313mm. these are the figures i have come up with using the std ARB and torsion bar.

322mm = 615mm ground to arch
    305mm = 570mm ground to arch

so im hoping

313mm = 595mm ish ground to arch

any hints or tips appreciated,
    No one who knows what they are doing recommends one spline at a time, what you do is place the arm where you want it and then refit the torsion bar, keep trying as you rotate the bar one spline at a time, eventually it will slide in easily, the splines are different on inner and outer, giving a vernier effect.
    One spline on its own is too much as you found out.

To work out where the arm should be decide what height difference you want then take the wheel off. Measure the distance to the ground from a convenient spot, hub disc etc, then if you want to raise the car 20 mm, for example, take out the torsion bar and move the hub/disc 20mm towards the ground and then refit the bar as described above.

Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Hey, Chris still has my dummy shock. Grab it off him, makes life easier.

Adrian
    Adrian Wuillemin

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    Bakers have them on their website.... 25 +'postage
    last time i checked they arent available still that was last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Wuillemi View Post
    Hey, Chris still has my dummy shock. Grab it off him, makes life easier.

Adrian
    thanks Adrian i made one up later today

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    No one who knows what they are doing recommends one spline at a time, what you do is place the arm where you want it and then refit the torsion bar, keep trying as you rotate the bar one spline at a time, eventually it will slide in easily, the splines are different on inner and outer, giving a vernier effect.
    One spline on its own is too much as you found out.

To work out where the arm should be decide what height difference you want then take the wheel off. Measure the distance to the ground from a convenient spot, hub disc etc, then if you want to raise the car 20 mm, for example, take out the torsion bar and move the hub/disc 20mm towards the ground and then refit the bar as described above.

Graham
    thanks Graham i got that method off the 205 forum and it did seem when i was doing it that it would end up too low. oh well i got some hands on experience now, im just greatful that the beam has seen a rebuild and was easy to take apart.

Quote Originally Posted by djvu205 View Post
    last time i checked they arent available still that was last week.
    the web site says temporarily out of stock has been like that since this time last year! i also asked Stewart a while back and he said they were trying to get numbers up or something to that affect so they could produce some more.

You can get group n rear mounts from Autofive website expensive at 48 though......

ended up setting the dummy shock at 315mm which gave me a dimension of 600mm from ground to the underside of the wheel arch trim. by time the exhaust goes back on and and a spare thrown in it should sit a tad lower but not to low. the ratio of 3:1 is pretty close when setting dummy shock ie by moving dummy shock 1mm either way it adjusts the ride height approx 3mm either way.

the front has eibach pro springs and it sits at about 590mm ground to arch and has lower the car approx 35mm in my case. probley a little too much to be honest so might get the stock springs reset.

Maybe DaveT might be interested in your front springs as he needs to lower his car if you choose to go back to standard springs. Worth a pm anyway......

just took the car for a quick spin round the block to see how the new rear end felt.

i cant believe the difference, i didnt think the old beam was in that bad of condition or the shockers for that matter. maybe the old shockers were knackered, because its a 200% improvement. its now fitted with a set of new geniune gti6 shocks on the rear so maybe thats the secret? its also alot quieter and smoother than before.

apart from getting my gearbox rebuilt and fitting a quaife its the best thing i have done to my car so far.

Thread Information