Reasonable 205gti brake pads?
  • Help
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney Metro
    Posts
    128

    Default Reasonable 205gti brake pads?

    Hello froggers,
    It's time for some new front brake pads for my 205 and after fastidiously searching the net I still don't know which ones are worth the money or are half decent. I've looked at Brembos and EBC's but there seems to be too many choices!
    I'm not doing track days but don't exactly casually drive to the shops and back every Sunday.

    Can anyone recommend some pads that work better than standard and are reasonably priced?
    I'm running standard booster and calipers.

    Advertisement


    Thank you in advance
    Lewis

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts PeterT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Castle Hill, Sydney
    Posts
    7,572

    Default

    Brembo Max rotors and EBC Green. Additionally, your wheels will stay clean.

    '92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney Metro
    Posts
    128

    Default

    I saw both of them on ebay, is that the cheapest place to get them?
    thanks Peter

    Lewis

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts PugMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,390

    Default

    Haha this is the worst thing you can do - You will now be bombarded with hundreds of suggestions - but that's what the forum is for hey!

    My 20 cents worth. I am using LUCAS pads and have done for years. Hardly anyone recomends them 'cause no body ever uses them. They have great pedal feel, cost is in the medium category (little dearer than bendix rubish) and last rather well. I'm still on the same set of pads after many a track time and 2 years of daily driving.

    The only draw back is they produce the MAXIMUM amount of brake dust. Two months and your rims have changed color. Washes off easy though so it's no biggy.

    Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts schlitzaugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    loneliness capital of the world
    Posts
    9,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Brembo Max rotors and EBC Green. Additionally, your wheels will stay clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    Haha this is the worst thing you can do - You will now be bombarded with hundreds of suggestions - but that's what the forum is for hey!

    My 20 cents worth. I am using LUCAS pads and have done for years. Hardly anyone recomends them 'cause no body ever uses them. They have great pedal feel, cost is in the medium category (little dearer than bendix rubish) and last rather well. I'm still on the same set of pads after many a track time and 2 years of daily driving.

    The only draw back is they produce the MAXIMUM amount of brake dust. Two months and your rims have changed color. Washes off easy though so it's no biggy.

    Moo
    How do you guys rate disk wear with the pads you use?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

    Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! rtsnoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    288

    Default

    to keep the suggestions coming.

    I upgraded from bendix to mintex (1144s i think?) pads. They weren't particularly cheap from memory, but made an impressive difference.

    Seriously dusty though... Can even be noticed around the doors!

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney Metro
    Posts
    128

    Default

    I don't think brake dust is major buying factor...
    How much $$$ are we talking?

    Lewis

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! rtsnoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16205 View Post
    I don't think brake dust is major buying factor...
    How much $$$ are we talking?

    Lewis
    $$$ - I cant remember to be honest.

    While I've had good experience with the mintexs, I'd take PeterT's advice. He knows what he is talking about!

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts Andrew Ch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    Don't wish to hijack thread but wondered if you fixed your smokey exhaust Rohan ?

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts PugMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,390

    Default

    Just had some track time at Queensland Raceway and my pads were just super. Some of the Golf R32's I was on the track with, were off after ten laps with brake fade and they were all talking about it over breakfast. Didn't have any fade in mine at all - Very happy althouh I will be checking the remainder this weekend to be sure as thats my fourth track day with the same pads.

    Price I think was $100 for the front and $75.00 for the rear

    Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! rtsnoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    Don't wish to hijack thread but wondered if you fixed your smokey exhaust Rohan ?
    Thanks for the thought! No great progress with my smoke.. Haven't had the time or money. It seems like its valve stem seals... Given the head was rebuilt probably 25k ago its bizarre. I'll hopefully take the head off and get it sorted in a month or two though.
    Last edited by rtsnoz; 29th May 2012 at 07:13 PM.

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts Andrew Ch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    At least it'll be fixed then, good luck

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •