8v cam clearances
  • Help

Default 8v cam clearances

im wanting to put a different cam in my 8v i rebuilt a while back as the cam i have in it doesnt like the std management. can it be done with out the cam belt on?

from my understanding when the crank and cam dowells are in place the pistons all sit level, so in theory i should be able to remove the cam dowell and turn the cam without any valves hitting the pistons. the main reason i was thinking this was so i dont have to keep fitting and tensioning the belt as i sort the shim sizes out for the new cam.

its probley not a massive task to refit the belt but it takes time and space is pretty tight around the tensioner area.

any thought on the best way to do this?

also the clearances seem to have closed up a bit since running the engine inlets were averaging around .008" but are now around .006 and exhaust were averaging .016" and are now around .015"

too me .006 seems a little too tight? and .015" seems a bit gappy? what sould the run at with the std cam fitted back into it? there seems to be alot of conflicting specs out there.

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by djvu205 View Post
    im wanting to put a different cam in my 8v i rebuilt a while back as the cam i have in it doesnt like the std management. can it be done with out the cam belt on?

from my understanding when the crank and cam dowells are in place the pistons all sit level, so in theory i should be able to remove the cam dowell and turn the cam without any valves hitting the pistons. the main reason i was thinking this was so i dont have to keep fitting and tensioning the belt as i sort the shim sizes out for the new cam.

its probley not a massive task to refit the belt but it takes time and space is pretty tight around the tensioner area.

any thought on the best way to do this?

also the clearances seem to have closed up a bit since running the engine inlets were averaging around .008" but are now around .006 and exhaust were averaging .016" and are now around .015"

too me .006 seems a little too tight? and .015" seems a bit gappy? what sould the run at with the std cam fitted back into it? there seems to be alot of conflicting specs out there.
    Yes, just turn the cam with a spanner on the pully bolt.

Thread Information