removal/viscous fan hub
  • Help

Default removal/viscous fan hub

The radiator is getting the once over on the 505 diesel after developing a major leak.

Since the bosch ve pump rebuild, the engine hasn't been able to cope with the long hills, temp wise, so it might be an appropriate time to install an electric fan. I suspect the viscous fan hasn't been working properly especially on hot days. The radiator guy wants to sell me an electric subaru fan. Not sure what the best option is there.

Clearly the viscous fan comes off but can I remove the fan pulley which projects a long way forward and replace it with a flat pulley?

Thanks, Tom

Advertisement

I took the pulley off completely, took to the shaft with an angle grinder, then fitted a shorter belt to bypass the pulley. It was the only way I was going to get enough room to fit the electric fan.

And now I've reverted back to the viscous fan. But I'm looking to source a new one, and can't find what thread it is....
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Thanks Scotty, the thread on the pulley, is it a left hand thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    I took the pulley off completely, took to the shaft with an angle grinder, then fitted a shorter belt to bypass the pulley. It was the only way I was going to get enough room to fit the electric fan.

And now I've reverted back to the viscous fan. But I'm looking to source a new one, and can't find what thread it is....
    I did exactly the same with an angle grinder, originally I was going to replace the timing cover with an electromagnetic clutch one but couldn't be buggered in the end.

The shorter belt is conveniently exactly the same length as one of the existing belts.

Thread-wise, it is a left hand thread but because it's driven (rather than driving as the crank pulley does), it should actually be a right hand thread.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    Why go back to the viscous fan? Admittedly they do a superb job of keeping the needle rock solid in the middle of the gauge but the twin Falcon fans and shroud cope with 45 degree outside temperature and airconditioning with ease where the viscous fan starts to struggle and with 2 of them there's redundancy. That and they can be had dirt cheap whereas viscous fan hubs are around $350+ aren't they?
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Default radiator replaced

Had to replace the core in the radiator, the 27 year old core was well passed it's use by date. I think it is now a three instead of the original two core. I contacted my mobile auto electrician to help out with an electric fan and wiring but the radiator has come back quicker than the electrican so I have put the whole thing back together the way it was.

After some intial airlock, blow back problems the system has settled down and although I have not found a long hill to test it there is no movement in temp under extended boost which has been happening for awhile. I will replace the three pin fan switch that is in radiator tank, it is supposed to switch the a/c fan on when things are getting too hot, it doesn't seem to come on although I have checked that it still works.

Quote Originally Posted by tomb View Post
    I will replace the three pin fan switch that is in radiator tank, it is supposed to switch the a/c fan on when things are getting too hot, it doesn't seem to come on although I have checked that it still works.
    Mine wasn't kicking in when I thought it should be so I pulled out the sender which had a layer of crud on it and replaced it with a new one which made an improvement. The relays would be the other failure point. Does the fan come on at low speed when you switch the a/c on?
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    407 HDi Sedan '05

No movement in the a/c fan when a/c switched on, could be a relay, easy to swap them over, thanks for that Uffee. Clean the sender switch, yeah that might help too, although I am sensing that so many things on this pug are past their used by date.

Thread Information