Stopping door seals from leaking water
  • Help

Default Stopping door seals from leaking water

The door seals on the fuego are at the age where they are starting to break down a little.

As far as I can tell, they are a skinned neoprene product. Maybe they are not neoprene, but they are certainly a skinned product.

What is happening is the skin has broken down which allows capillary action to transport water through the rubber and drop it at the low spot, or wherever it is the most inconvenient to have water drop.

Looking for a quick and nasty fix to this problem, I thought I'd give the trusty old tin of scotch guard a go to see if the product would chemicaly/ microscopicly skin the rubbers and stop the damn things absorbing water.

It works!!!!!

After a few month, the rubber has not broken down from the chemicals, and the water no longer penetrates the seals. so I'm sold on the concept.

So thats the tailgate and doors sorted, now if only I could find a 'fix-in-a-can' for my leaking windscreen, which is not meant to leak after being urethaned in.
    Damn rain.

Advertisement

Jo

1000+ Posts

don't know, but Sahannon Lush often recommends plain glycerine to revive tired rubber
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Re. the windscreen : I don't know anything about Fuegos, but I often follow red herrings

Are you sure the water is not coming from somewhere else in that general area, the way it does in 504s ?

Fellow Frogger!

Beano, where might be that'somewhere else' in 504s? Neil

Thread Information