Finding Threebond and why automotive stores suck.
  • Help

Default Finding Threebond and why automotive stores suck.

I'm trying to get some Threebond 1211 for my copper head gasket when it arrives. It was recommended by Ridgecrest.

I looked on the Threebond website, in a vein attempt to save time to see who would stock it. Repco was the main distributor. I go in to Repco Indooroopilly, get stared at by some mentally deficient clerk who hasn't the vaguest idea what I'm asking for, so he walks me over to the other sealants to look for some. He stares at the rack at a bunch of Permatex products for a long moment, in which time seemed to stop, before realising that they didn't stock it. I could go on, I knew more about the product than he did, which is pathetic for a retailer.

None in stock. Big surprise. Automotive stores suck. I buy what I can online, but can't find anyone selling Threebond online.

He could get it in from another store, I'd have to pay the freight. I agreed, so long as he could post it to my address and got out my wallet to pay. No, you have to come in to the store to pick it up. I walked out.

Advertisement

I got on to the distributor for Australia, who was slightly more helpful. Recommended places to try - called them, nobody had it, I called him back and told him. He called me back ten minutes later - found someone who had one tube left in stock! (Great distributor!) I called them, but they were thirty minutes drive away and wouldn't post. I told them I'd have to find someone who would.

Texted back the distributor letting him know that they wouldn't post to me, and I'd have to use something else like Permatex.

I guess stores like Repco and Autobarn will be gone in a few years, unless they find more people who want to buy love heart shaped exhaust tips, chromed wheel covers and Top Gear figurines. I won't miss them.

Fellow Frogger!

Why threebond, not what i would recommend for a copper head gasket.

I buy threebond products from a bearing shop on fiorge street blacktown.
    Adrian Wuillemin

Who knows. I've been given so much conflicting information. The distributor for Freebond said not to use the Hylomar stuff for copper head gaskets as it doesn't dry properly. Of course, he is biased, though that doesn't mean he's wrong.

Loctite 30535 is supposed to be good, I might try and get that. I'm always open to suggestions as I'm giving the Threebond stuff a miss, I mean, a product that isn't stocked is as useless as a product that doesn't work.

ThreeBond 1211 is great stuff but I'm not sure about a head gasket. I use it just about everywhere else! I'm not sure what the stuff is I spray on the copper gaskets, Adrian might recall. I buy it from Repco however and it sprays on copper in appearance.

However, if My Ridgecrest said 1211.............

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Yeah, that stuff spray on copper stuff seems the go. A few people like it, a few people don't, as usual.

Might order some of the Threebond 1211 from overseas on ebay. It'd save me driving to the other side of the city since people around here don't post, just to be difficult, I am sure.
    Last edited by callipygous; 29th August 2011 at 07:40 PM.

Threebond is not usually stocked by the major retailers. I buy mine from a small engineering place, or bearing and motion places. Smaller auto parts shops might have it, but I would check how old it is. Veale stock it too if you have them that side of the country.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I've been doing some thinking whilst cooking dinner. There's two types of sealing happening here. The primary combustion seal is done by the o-ring/copper. Hopefully that keeps combustion pressures at bay. The secondary sealing is coolant to atmosphere. I use 1211 on the Mi16 thermstat housing to head seal. It works a treat for this. So thus should perform equally as well on the water jacket.

Whether other products are as good as 1211 is another debate. ThreeBond is a brand and 1211 is a product, designed primarily for metal/metal high vibration applications ie motorcycle gearboxes.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    I've been doing some thinking whilst cooking dinner. There's two types of sealing happening here. The primary combustion seal is done by the o-ring/copper. Hopefully that keeps combustion pressures at bay. The secondary sealing is coolant to atmosphere. I use 1211 on the Mi16 thermstat housing to head seal. It works a treat for this. So thus should perform equally as well on the water jacket.
    Threebond IS great stuff, though on a Copper HG - not what I'd recomend it either.

Threebond will go on far thinner than a lot of other silicone base sealants and hold a layer, this is what Ridgecrest probaby means ( go as thin as you can ). But I know from experience with the X and it's copper HG that even if you've milled the faces dead flat with the correct surface finish the silicone will probably get spat out anyway. We had three goes at it and gave up on 1211 in that application as the combustion seemed to find its way to a coolant jacket no matter what we did ( block is NOT O'ringed ).

( As Peter said ) Use the Permatex 80697 Coper spray on your copper HG, our Uno Turbo powered X Uno 9 runs up to 18 pounds of boost in 'holy cr4p' settings and in just under two years has not lost compression or popped a coolant leak. She gets HOT really quick on this amount of hairdrier and the metal based sprays seem to disipate the heat and hold on to a copper gasket, whilst I have tried Hylomar ( I do use it elsewhere on an engine ) it hasn't worked in the extreeme we throw at Lampredi's motor.

We used Threebond on this engine in other areas as we knew we would be tearing it down again after a few years, as it 'peels off' easily, Won't act like a silicone sealant and be a biartch to remove. It's way easier to deal with when you go to tear down an engine. You usually have about 2 years to get the head off again to address any corrosion in the HG.

Used 1211 on the Beemercycle when it sprang an oil leak on advice from an old bike sage and every BE3 I've built has been as tight as a drum using this stuff too, haven't looked back.

If you know anyone that loves old vehicles of the two wheel variety they will more likely know of 1211 and which bike shop on top of the hill caries it. Might be better looking there as I agree with your observations $upercr4p and the like - becoming hopless.

Happy Hunting
    Sandgroper
    93' 205GTi
    'don't force it son - use a bigger hammer'

Yeah, though I did call three motorcycle dealerships and a motorcycle wrecker and none had it! Though, maybe the coper spray is the go. I've heard people recommending it, too.

Fellow Frogger!

Bugger!!

Well at least you persisted, if you do come across it grab some anyway. RTV will be an evil thing of the past after you have used 1211. The only place I use hit temp RTV nowdays is on the turbo cartridge seal. Otherwise its 1211 or 1104.

Last time I got some it was from Kim Britton Cycles but he's in Rockingham, about 4.7 thousand k's from you. Try a Jap bike repairer, haven't you got a hot spot of cycle shops in Nerang. A long way down the hill I know but maybe they will post if you call.

eVilbay has some ex USA ( shudder ).

I know Fangbosun down on the GoldCoast has some ( I sent it to him ), and he is a pretty generous guy, you won't need much. Seriously attempt #2 on the rust bucket was a thin 1211 bead applied with a syringe around the coolant jackets and I used three fifths of stuff all of the tube in my three goes at trying to get a coolant seal. You use so little it lasts AGES!!

PM him and tell him I sent you.

( you still owe me FB - where's my tiller )

Yours Aye

Sandgroper
    93' 205GTi
    'don't force it son - use a bigger hammer'

Thread Information