H4 headlight globes - colour
  • Help

Default H4 headlight globes - colour

There are a few different types of globes that fit H4. I'm wondering if yellow globes for the outside lights on my 74 DS would look out of place? I've seen DS rally cars in movies with yellow globes. They are apparently best for rain or snow/bad weather, which is what we have mostly around here. Interested to hear people's comments, as I am about to put in new headlights next couple of days.

Advertisement

I like the yellow look - It's fitting for the "Euro look". I'm trying to hunt down a pair of yellow fogs for the 205. I have seen a couple of period Renault's with the yellow head lights. Looks great!

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

I think you will find that the law in Australia demands only white for headlights. Yellow for the standard low beam would be illegal. You can fit yellow fog lights but they must only be used in foggy conditions.

France no longer has the yellow headlight requirement as they adopted the standard European white lights about 20 years ago.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

What about those blue HID setups? You can get them from yellow to pure white to very dark blue. I don't suppose the yellow are illegal HIDs are illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by callipygous View Post
    What about those blue HID setups? You can get them from yellow to pure white to very dark blue. I don't suppose the yellow are illegal HIDs are illegal?
    Of course the blue ones are illegal! The law requires white lights at the front, red at the rear, it is not so complicated. "White" can have many different appearances though including verging on blue.

That does not mean that many colours are not available but they don't nessesarily comply with ADRs. Non compliant products are often marked as only suitable for "off road use" or something similar.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

1000+ Posts

They are not yellow but i replaced old H4 with two new plus 100 ones from narva. Noticably brighter than the old standard ones. Happy.
    Yellow fog lamps are best mounted low down AFAIK.

"The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Thread Information