tacho stops at 3000.. Mi16 conversion
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default tacho stops at 3000.. Mi16 conversion

I've just completed a conversion on my series 1.5 (XU9) Mi16 with a series 2 (XU10) engine.

Advertisement

.. i broke the XU9 and got the XU10 cheap...

Anyway, after about 2 weeks of working out which wires to cut and join in the engine bays, the engine starts and all the gauges appear to work fine.

The problem i'm having is that the tacho just dies at around 3000 rpm. The dash is still the series 1 and i thought that might be an issue so i have grabbed the series 2 tacho and tried it but still getting the same result.
    The tacho is very smooth up to 3k so it doesn't appear to be noise.
    The input wire (from the computer, 112) maintains a voltage the entire time.

I'm not sure what else to check or try.

I read some forums about alternators overcharging and causing the same problem so i changed the alternator back to the original off the 1.9 engine but still experiencing the same issue.

Anyone got any ideas about this??

Asa

is it like a rev-limiter or no power? the XU10 has a duel plain inlet manifold, the XU9 doesn't... if the manifold isn't functioning properly, then it can cause a serious flat spot between 3 and 4000rpm...

I'm not sure if this is normal, but if you blip the throttle when it's cold, the vacuum actuators should open up and close again as you blip it...

I think he's saying the actual needle stops working. The engine still revs past 3k?

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Tadpole

yes the engine revs fine, although i do have a coil pack or 2 down at the moment which i've ordered in for Monday.

The needle simply dies at 3k.

You say you cut and joined the wires in the engine bay - with no mention of changing the ECU.

Are you using the Xu9 ECU on the XU10 engine or have you swapped ecu's aswell?

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

ahhh ok, I'm with you.... he would have to be using the XU10 ecu setup, because they would definitely not be compatible...

Tadpole

Yeah used the motronic MP3.2 ecu for the XU10.
    believe the Xu9 was a M1.3 which is not compatible.

The battery appears to be receiving a lot of charge, 15volts when running, and i disconnected the alternator to check if there was interference from that (simply took the belt off) and the tacho didn't work at all... which i thought was very strange??

Hhmm 15 is a bit to much to start with. You might be needing a new regulator soon. My alternator was doing the same not long ago but the tacho was still operating normaly.

Some cars do rely upon alternators to supply a negative feedback source to drive the tacho (and shift lights etc) but I don't think ours fall into that category.

There may also be some discrepancy between the tacho used for the 205 & the item used for the Xu10 (don't know yet 'cause I have never had one).

Quote Originally Posted by asa405 View Post
    Yeah used the motronic MP3.2 ecu for the XU10.
    believe the Xu9 was a M1.3 which is not compatible.

The battery appears to be receiving a lot of charge, 15volts when running, and i disconnected the alternator to check if there was interference from that (simply took the belt off) and the tacho didn't work at all... which i thought was very strange??
    it's a Peugeot, NOTHING surprises me anymore.

Tadpole

Ok, so my alternator isn't over charging.. turns out my multimeter batteries were flat giving me false readings.

I checked the voltage across my battery while it was isolated and it was creating power... the meter just keep going up.
    I was going put this away in storage and not tell anyone about my physics defying battery before i came to my senses and took a look at my multimeter!!

Anyways, so still no tacho over 2, 500 - 3k range.

Could the TDC or speed sensor (i think this the same thing? ontop of the gearbox) be faulty? i would've thought the engine would not run at all if i never had or lost a signal during revving?

I'm going to change it out with my XU9 sensor but I'm not sure if that will work.
    Are these the same sensors for the XU9 and XU10 engines?

Tadpole

Problem solved.

I initially took for granted how different the clusters may be as the 1.9 tacho read the 2.0 engine signal but simply cut out at 3k.

After a few hours of playing about tonight, i ended up being able to use the circuitry from the back of the 2.0 tacho on the 1.9 tacho but had to do a simple signal wire swap to a different pin on the 4 pin input.. wow, was so easy in the end

I thought the gauges couldn't be too different.. but just enough.

well done and thanks for posting the outcome.

Thread Information