Electronic ignition query
  • Help
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Member julian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    102

    Default Electronic ignition query

    Hi folks.
    Has anyone used the gammatronix ignition module available here on ebay?
    I am currently using a car that isn't mine and it has an electronic ignition module that retains the points. I believe there is an intermittent fault in this unit (~20 years old) and want to replace it.
    Yes, I know I could buy a kit that is "point-less" but I am seeking advice on retaining the original setup, as well as the particular unit I have linked on ebay.

    Advertisement


    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    sydney, australia
    Posts
    11,301

    Default

    for <$45 delivered, i say just buy it and fit it. for that price it is worth it just to determine either way whether or not the existing module is at fault.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lewisham, Tasmania
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Agree. Have had a similar unit on Kermit the 4CV for some 8 years and have never bothered to check the points. On my unit it has a 'fail safe' function which defaults to standard specs should the unit fail.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lewisham, Tasmania
    Posts
    90

    Default

    BTW Avoid the Jaycar kits as they are aweful. I'm an ex Air Force technician and tried very hard to get a kit to perform. They are bulky, unreliable and expensive compared to proven and guaranteed units.

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rose View Post
    BTW Avoid the Jaycar kits as they are aweful. I'm an ex Air Force technician and tried very hard to get a kit to perform. They are bulky, unreliable and expensive compared to proven and guaranteed units.
    ummmm....
    Put one in my 5 & it was SUPERB
    Worked incredibly well, never had a fault & bullet proof. Very highly recommended

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lewisham, Tasmania
    Posts
    90

    Default

    How much did you pay!

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts bluey504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dandenong Vic
    Posts
    1,274

    Default Location, location, location....

    Has anyone noticed the location of the kit? Kettering, Northhamptonshire as in the inventor of the points system it's boosting. Probably just another Murphy moment.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    sydney, australia
    Posts
    11,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    Has anyone noticed the location of the kit? Kettering, Northhamptonshire as in the inventor of the points system it's boosting. Probably just another Murphy moment.
    good pickup! that is really quite cool.

  9. #9
    bob
    bob is offline
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Skipton
    Posts
    2,580

    Default

    G'day Julian,

    whilst 20yo electronics could be dodgy I would be more suspicious of the rest of the system, particularly the earth return within the distributor - assuming that there is no earth strap installed for the action plate. I have experienced annoying ignition faults in both a 505 and r20 that I put down to the non existence of decent action plate earthing, at least the ancient Lucas systems did this bit properly.

    Are the points OK ? they won't burn but they can still get dirty and/or corroded in these systems.

    I suppose that the ignition switch is also 20yo ? great source of hard to find annoyances. As a first up, I would be inclined to fit a relay under the bonnet to handle the ignition circuits so you can be reasonably sure that the system is getting a fair go. Then go over all the plugs/sockets/connections as you would for any electrical problem. This will cost you peanuts

    cheers,
    Bob

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts Beano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,249

    Default

    Excellent advice, Bob. Couldn't have said it better.

  11. #11
    Member julian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Thanks gents and ladies.
    There is always wise advice to be found here. Yeh points are fine, leads are fine but earthing is something I will check- what particular part fails in this regard?
    BUT, where can I find obscure Bosch distributor parts (part #0231179001) for a 1973 Saab 99 EMS? The rotor looks a little brittle and old (part # 1234332213), the cap electrodes are a bit pitted (part #1235522056).
    May as well try changing the lot, and re-doing the wiring while I am at it.

    Ideas?

  12. #12
    bob
    bob is offline
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Skipton
    Posts
    2,580

    Default

    G'day Julian

    Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    .....earthing is something I will check- what particular part fails in this regard....
    earthing depends on a good connection between the moving plate that carries the points and the dist body, the old Lucas system provided a bit of braid to do this job, "modern" ones just rely on the mechanical moving joint which is apt to be OK there and no good here sort of thing and changes with the weather. You can make up a bit of braid from the woven shield from a shielded cable - you might have to hunt about for a woven one though. Put suitable connections each end to fix it earthy end of the points and the dist body.

    Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    .....BUT, where can I find obscure Bosch distributor parts (part #0231179001) for a 1973 Saab 99 EMS? The rotor looks a little brittle and old (part # 1234332213), the cap electrodes are a bit pitted (part #1235522056).
    May as well try changing the lot, and re-doing the wiring while I am at it.

    Ideas?
    I think that the old Jaycar kit was intended for Bosch systems, may be still around.....

    There's a lot to be gained from a totally new dizzy though, new bearings & seals, unstressed advance gear etc etc. May still be available ?

    cheers,
    Bob

  13. #13
    Member julian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    102

    Default

    A totally new diz? Not a bad idea in theory, but in practice there may be a challenge in finding a part. Anyone know where I would start?

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    sydney, australia
    Posts
    11,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    Thanks gents and ladies.
    There is always wise advice to be found here. Yeh points are fine, leads are fine but earthing is something I will check- what particular part fails in this regard?
    BUT, where can I find obscure Bosch distributor parts (part #0231179001) for a 1973 Saab 99 EMS? The rotor looks a little brittle and old (part # 1234332213), the cap electrodes are a bit pitted (part #1235522056).
    May as well try changing the lot, and re-doing the wiring while I am at it.

    Ideas?

    sure, just google 'bosch <part number>.
    here is the rotor
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEETLE-KAF...-/230553435605

    i dont suppose there is any special about the condensor which could be replaced by an autopart shop.


    distributor cap:
    http://ishop2.cooldrive.com.au/products/1235522056
    CoolDrive Adelaide
    22 Pambula Street
    Regency Park 5010
    (61 8) 8440 7900
    Mon-Fri 8.00am - 5.30pm
    Last edited by alexander; 11th August 2011 at 03:41 AM.

  15. #15
    Member julian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    102

    Default Ignition parts in Sydney?

    Having recently moved to Sydney I need some advice as to a place that may stock Bosch distributor parts. The internet is great but there is nothing like comparing the parts on a bench before buying.
    There looks to be a large number of vehicles that used this distributor so hopefully they will not be too obscure.

    Any hints?

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    sydney, australia
    Posts
    11,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    Having recently moved to Sydney I need some advice as to a place that may stock Bosch distributor parts. The internet is great but there is nothing like comparing the parts on a bench before buying.
    There looks to be a large number of vehicles that used this distributor so hopefully they will not be too obscure.

    Any hints?
    jeeeez, when i went to work last night you were living in adelaide, and by 10.23am you are living in sydney! obviously the car runs pretty well...

    CoolDrive Sydney
    Distance 25.9 km
    Unit 4, 17 Stanton Road
    Seven Hills 2147
    (61 2) 8811 1288


    or, have a look at the Bosch parts catalogue:
    http://www.bosch.com.au/content/lang..._Web_Ready.pdf

    and you will find this:
    Saab 99
    years: 06.72 - 08.74
    type: B 20
    cylinders: 4
    motor: 2.0
    Distributor cap 08.73 - 05.74 GB739
    Distributor rotor 08.73 - 05.74 GB782
    Contact set 08.73 - 05.74 GB700
    Condensor 08.73 - 05.74 GB766

    then go to an auto parts shop and order them with those part numbers. ie the ones starting with GB.

  17. #17
    Member julian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Yeh the Swedes really know how to make cars, this proves it!

    In truth I hadn't updated my details since the big crash. I have been here since the beginning of the year.

    I have the catalogue and now have australian part numbers for the bits i need.
    I'll try those folks, thanks for the tip.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •