Electronic ignition query
  • Help

Default Electronic ignition query

Hi folks.
    Has anyone used the gammatronix ignition module available here on ebay?
    I am currently using a car that isn't mine and it has an electronic ignition module that retains the points. I believe there is an intermittent fault in this unit (~20 years old) and want to replace it.
    Yes, I know I could buy a kit that is "point-less" but I am seeking advice on retaining the original setup, as well as the particular unit I have linked on ebay.

Advertisement

Thanks,

Banned

for <$45 delivered, i say just buy it and fit it. for that price it is worth it just to determine either way whether or not the existing module is at fault.

Agree. Have had a similar unit on Kermit the 4CV for some 8 years and have never bothered to check the points. On my unit it has a 'fail safe' function which defaults to standard specs should the unit fail.

BTW Avoid the Jaycar kits as they are aweful. I'm an ex Air Force technician and tried very hard to get a kit to perform. They are bulky, unreliable and expensive compared to proven and guaranteed units.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rose View Post
    BTW Avoid the Jaycar kits as they are aweful. I'm an ex Air Force technician and tried very hard to get a kit to perform. They are bulky, unreliable and expensive compared to proven and guaranteed units.
    ummmm....
    Put one in my 5 & it was SUPERB
    Worked incredibly well, never had a fault & bullet proof. Very highly recommended

How much did you pay!

Default Location, location, location....

Has anyone noticed the location of the kit? Kettering, Northhamptonshire as in the inventor of the points system it's boosting. Probably just another Murphy moment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    Has anyone noticed the location of the kit? Kettering, Northhamptonshire as in the inventor of the points system it's boosting. Probably just another Murphy moment.
    good pickup! that is really quite cool.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Julian,

whilst 20yo electronics could be dodgy I would be more suspicious of the rest of the system, particularly the earth return within the distributor - assuming that there is no earth strap installed for the action plate. I have experienced annoying ignition faults in both a 505 and r20 that I put down to the non existence of decent action plate earthing, at least the ancient Lucas systems did this bit properly.

Are the points OK ? they won't burn but they can still get dirty and/or corroded in these systems.

I suppose that the ignition switch is also 20yo ? great source of hard to find annoyances. As a first up, I would be inclined to fit a relay under the bonnet to handle the ignition circuits so you can be reasonably sure that the system is getting a fair go. Then go over all the plugs/sockets/connections as you would for any electrical problem. This will cost you peanuts

cheers,
    Bob

Excellent advice, Bob. Couldn't have said it better.

Thanks gents and ladies.
    There is always wise advice to be found here. Yeh points are fine, leads are fine but earthing is something I will check- what particular part fails in this regard?
    BUT, where can I find obscure Bosch distributor parts (part #0231179001) for a 1973 Saab 99 EMS? The rotor looks a little brittle and old (part # 1234332213), the cap electrodes are a bit pitted (part #1235522056).
    May as well try changing the lot, and re-doing the wiring while I am at it.

Ideas?

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Julian

Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    .....earthing is something I will check- what particular part fails in this regard....
    earthing depends on a good connection between the moving plate that carries the points and the dist body, the old Lucas system provided a bit of braid to do this job, "modern" ones just rely on the mechanical moving joint which is apt to be OK there and no good here sort of thing and changes with the weather. You can make up a bit of braid from the woven shield from a shielded cable - you might have to hunt about for a woven one though. Put suitable connections each end to fix it earthy end of the points and the dist body.

.....BUT, where can I find obscure Bosch distributor parts (part #0231179001) for a 1973 Saab 99 EMS? The rotor looks a little brittle and old (part # 1234332213), the cap electrodes are a bit pitted (part #1235522056).

Ideas?
    I think that the old Jaycar kit was intended for Bosch systems, may be still around.....

There's a lot to be gained from a totally new dizzy though, new bearings & seals, unstressed advance gear etc etc. May still be available ?

cheers,
    Bob

A totally new diz? Not a bad idea in theory, but in practice there may be a challenge in finding a part. Anyone know where I would start?

Banned

Thanks gents and ladies.
    There is always wise advice to be found here. Yeh points are fine, leads are fine but earthing is something I will check- what particular part fails in this regard?
    BUT, where can I find obscure Bosch distributor parts (part #0231179001) for a 1973 Saab 99 EMS? The rotor looks a little brittle and old (part # 1234332213), the cap electrodes are a bit pitted (part #1235522056).

Ideas?

sure, just google 'bosch <part number>.
    here is the rotor
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEETLE-KAF...-/230553435605

i dont suppose there is any special about the condensor which could be replaced by an autopart shop.

distributor cap:
    http://ishop2.cooldrive.com.au/products/1235522056
    CoolDrive Adelaide
    22 Pambula Street
    Regency Park 5010
    (61 8) 8440 7900
    Mon-Fri 8.00am - 5.30pm
    Last edited by alexander; 11th August 2011 at 03:41 AM.

Default Ignition parts in Sydney?

Having recently moved to Sydney I need some advice as to a place that may stock Bosch distributor parts. The internet is great but there is nothing like comparing the parts on a bench before buying.
    There looks to be a large number of vehicles that used this distributor so hopefully they will not be too obscure.

Any hints?

Banned

Having recently moved to Sydney I need some advice as to a place that may stock Bosch distributor parts. The internet is great but there is nothing like comparing the parts on a bench before buying.
    There looks to be a large number of vehicles that used this distributor so hopefully they will not be too obscure.

Any hints?
    jeeeez, when i went to work last night you were living in adelaide, and by 10.23am you are living in sydney! obviously the car runs pretty well...

CoolDrive Sydney
    Distance 25.9 km
    Unit 4, 17 Stanton Road
    Seven Hills 2147
    (61 2) 8811 1288

or, have a look at the Bosch parts catalogue:
    http://www.bosch.com.au/content/lang..._Web_Ready.pdf

and you will find this:
    Saab 99
    years: 06.72 - 08.74
    type: B 20
    cylinders: 4
    motor: 2.0
    Distributor cap 08.73 - 05.74 GB739
    Distributor rotor 08.73 - 05.74 GB782
    Contact set 08.73 - 05.74 GB700
    Condensor 08.73 - 05.74 GB766

then go to an auto parts shop and order them with those part numbers. ie the ones starting with GB.

Yeh the Swedes really know how to make cars, this proves it!

In truth I hadn't updated my details since the big crash. I have been here since the beginning of the year.

I have the catalogue and now have australian part numbers for the bits i need.
    I'll try those folks, thanks for the tip.

Thread Information