Diagnostic socket
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Diagnostic socket

A colleague of mine bought a code-reader from E-bay. OB2D compliant. It is not a basic one. He paid $150 after shopping around. I have lost the actual brand/model numbers. It looks a lot like a graphing calculator with 4 control buttons. The plug fitted on to my socket near the driver's door.

When it was connected to my 1998 Peugeut 406 V6 - D8 it went through 60% of the connection process and then indicated a "Link Failed" report.

Advertisement

When it was connected to his 2005 BMW M5 fwd it read everything without problem. (not that his car had any problems!)

I have had a two dash lights on concurrently for a little while now. They are the red "brake" light and the yellow "ABS" light. Actually the brakes work perfectly. I was hoping to get a diagnosis. It's not happening withmy car.

Can anyone explain what the problem might be?*

Cheers,

David

* Yes, translation differences have already been suggested.

I would have thought that the first point of call would be to the supplier outlining problem and asking for answers. Have you tried this ?

1000+ Posts

Default Scanner !!

Hi,
    The Pug does not use OBD2 communication. That is the American system. The European cars use EOBD. Scanners will just test the communication till they find the correct software in their programe. However scanners aimed at the US market probabally will not have EOBD software as the Americans think their system is the only one. The BMW may communicate with both or OBD2 as it is probably sold into the US.. Quality scanners will do all systems.
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi,
    The Pug does not use OBD2 communication. That is the American system. The European cars use EOBD. Scanners will just test the communication till they find the correct software in their programe. However scanners aimed at the US market probabally will not have EOBD software as the Americans think their system is the only one. The BMW may communicate with both or OBD2 as it is probably sold into the US.. Quality scanners will do all systems.
    Jaahn
    Actually EOBD is a version of OBD-II required in Europe since 2003 for diesel vehicles and since 2001 for petrol vehicles. I suggest you read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

You can actually thank America for OBD
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post
    Snip.
    The scanner won't have the protocol to communicate with an older Peugeot, or any Peugeot for that matter.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

1000+ Posts

Default Scanners

Hi,
    Cheap scanners from Ebay and the like may be problematic for French cars (and others) which are not sold into America. The protocol etc (as explained in the Wiki article) is different and they do not know(or care). So they give a great list of cars which, they say, their unit fits, but which they have never even seen let alone tested it on. Buyer beware
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Default Thanks

Well I think that solves the problem for me.
    I won't be buying a scanner for myself unless someone here on the forum makes a recommendation for a brand and model number that works on v6 pugs.

Cheers

David

Thread Information