Finally made 225km/hr on Phillip Island
  • Help

Default Finally made 225km/hr on Phillip Island

Well, my 405 has finally punched through 220km/hr on the front straight at Phillip Island. With the uprated rear springs (P.Taylor) and the early GTI gear ratios on 3/4/5, the car is quite different around the island.

The car now pulls 180 before changing into 5th well short of the start finish line and tops out well over 220km (according to the speedo) before braking for turn 1.

The lower ration on 3rd also makes for a much easier exit from Honda hairpin.

Until now, the brakes had been the strong point of the car, but now I have some more power and much bigger terminal speeds, the brakes are really tested.

The car is now so stiff it hardly carried a wheel at all today - not certain if that's a good thing or not. Video from my mates car shows that in turn 2 the inside rear was just skipping along on the fast left hander, and the car was much stronger out of Siberia than it has ever been before - pretty certain that's thanks to being about 40mm lower and much stiffer in the rear with the new springs.

Unfortunatlely, on the first sprint this morning, my last lap was shaping up really well when I hit the rev limiter between Honda and Siberia (another first) and the car lost all power. Immediately thought I had bent a valve - compression test showed all ok. Tracked ptoblem simply to a defective injector cap. By the time I had tracked the problem down, I had missed the second run, and then the event was cancelled - very windy and very very wet.

Ah well, maybe break the 2 minute mark next time!

Advertisement
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

great write up!!!!

Jo

Icon6

G'day,

any pics or video?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

what sort of other mods have you done? stock brakes?

Hope to grab a bit of video from a mates car behind me later this week.

Mods to the car at present:
    brakes - stock standard.
    quad throttle bodies with Haltech Sprint 500 ECU
    new injectors (360CC so not huge)
    standard exhaust manifold, shortened system (very loud)
    advance key in cam pulley, standard cams.
    standard bottom end and pistons
    left hand headlight removed to make room for air intake
    dry sump.

Front struts replaced with coil overs and 450lb springs (maybe too heavy)
    sway bars both standard
    Rear springs replaced with P.Taylor spec units

Dyno result shows 105kW at the wheels.
    racing 405

Here is some footage of my car taken from a mates orange Falcon. Listen and from time to time you can hear my car over the top of Pup's.

When I pulled off at the exit of Siberia, the car had lost power - tracked down to bad injector lead.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaAm8bqdxk0
    racing 405

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by racing405 View Post
    Here is some footage of my car taken from a mates orange Falcon. Listen and from time to time you can hear my car over the top of Pup's.

When I pulled off at the exit of Siberia, the car had lost power - tracked down to bad injector lead.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaAm8bqdxk0
    Still my engine then?
    Graham

1000+ Posts

Icon7 Enjoyed the video - more!!

Not a bad effort, and yes your car seemed glued to the track, I like the line adopted by your mate through the turns, only one twitchy bit for both of you.

Enjoy, and post some more video this time from your car!!

Regards..

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

...Front struts replaced with coil overs and 450lb springs (maybe too heavy)...
    It seems to want to understeer, so you are probably right; 350-375 lbs/inch may work better. Are the shock rates adjustable?

Default Still your engin..

Yes Graham, still punishing your engine! Hanging together really well, but I thought I had broken it at the Island last weekend. In hind sight, I think I probably had too many revs and too much oil pressure and had some lifters pumped up. Certainly one of the injector caps had failed.

New engine should make it's debut in December!
    racing 405

Default Front springs...

Thanos,
    the front shocks are adjustable, fairly certain they are wound up to about 3/4 firm. The car is understeering heaps less than last time - and I mean heaps! I have dropped the ride height about 40mm from last time, and have put the Peter T rear spings in. Both front and rear sway bars are standard at the moment, but Berlingo rear coming this week.

I can change the front springs pretty economically, and will try a set at around 375LB soon.

The difference that the rear spings and ride height have made is amazing. Last time out, the car really struggled on the exit of turn 2, Honda (turn 4) and Siberia (turn 5). I have also changed the 3/4/5 ratios out of an early GTI so there isn't the huge gap between second and third. All that being the case, I hit 7500 and the hard rev limit between Honda and Siberia without wheel spin - which is an amazing improvement.

I only got 2 fast laps in before I had trouble and then the rain washed the event out. Otherwise I am certain i would have cracked the 2 minute mark for the first time. In fact, I wouldn't mind betting if I had finished my last lap, I may have been on that pace anyway.

Next time!
    racing 405

Fellow Frogger!

Thanos,
    the front shocks are adjustable, fairly certain they are wound up to about 3/4 firm. The car is understeering heaps less than last time ....I can change the front springs pretty economically, and will try a set at around 375LB soon....

The car looks well balanced but I noticed a bit of double-turning the sweepers, this is generally a reaction by the driver when the car is about to understeer. I would soften the shocks first to the point that they barely control the rebound of the spring and test again. If this reduces or eliminates understeer I would leave the shock settings where they are and go to the 375 springs. If the car still understeers when you soften the shocks, a bit more investigation is needed before changing the springs

This your car ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7CFg...eature=related

Looks like the track was pretty wet by the look of the spray being lifted in the first vid.....

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Thread Information