Driving lights - what's worth getting these days?
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Driving lights - what's worth getting these days?

Have to get some new driving lights. I have used Cibies all my life but they are a bit pricey nowadays. (Seems odd that the kits come with one long and one mid range lights, too.)

What are other's experiences with different brands like Narva, Roolight and the like? Not a fan of the HIDs.

Also any hints on who does a decent 7" round headlight replacement?

Advertisement
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

I agree with you, the cheaper lights are not much chop. I took the 205 on a run from Southport to Port Maquarie a few months ago - at night time. I put a pair of Narva 150mm spots on it to help out. I disconnected the standard 205 driving lights (under the bumper) to save to poor old alternator. These worked much better than the standard beam but still no where near the quality of the Cibie product. I take them off when I get home and rewire the smaller ones.

Use a nice big relay and good quality cable.

moo

HID's only work properly when the globes are in a lens that is designed for them. Put a HID into a standard light casing, the beam shifts to all obscure angles and deteriorates the beam.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Have to get some new driving lights. I have used Cibies all my life but they are a bit pricey nowadays. (Seems odd that the kits come with one long and one mid range lights, too.)

What are other's experiences with different brands like Narva, Roolight and the like? Not a fan of the HIDs.

Also any hints on who does a decent 7" round headlight replacement?
    Cibie are still worth the money, lightforce are excellent, but require a fair amount of space to mount, I have always liked Bosch and Hella and have had many sets of H4 7" inserts. I got talked into a set of Narva 7" inserts for my ute and have regretted it ever since, they are about to be replaced with some Hella's. I am told IPF driving lights are good, but have no first hand experience.
    As far as Cibie driving lights go, one mid range and one long range is an excellent combination.
    cheers Pete
    Last edited by PCOATES505; 15th June 2011 at 06:37 PM.

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Hey bud I work and deal with 4wds all day and the
    Lights we use are IPF ones. I would recommend the 900xs
    driving light its there best halogen light.

The kits come with a wiring loom and one drive one spot/spread
    beam. I think the retail somewhere around 4-500 mark
    for the kit.

These are the ones I will be fitting to my 205 when it's finished.

Cheers jason

The only two lights to consider are Cibie Super Oscar or Lightfoce .

I have Super Oscars on the rally car and on the Land Crusier tow car and now have HID kits fitted inside the Cibie shell , only has on wire that needs a power supply , the spread and depth are equally as good as standard globes without any strange shapes and shadows , but with much more light for much less power.

Lightforce GTs are fantastic , they are a long range light , you can rewad a newspaper at 900m , only drama is they are a bit bulkly and will be hard to fit to some cars

I run 2 Lightforce and 2 Super Oscars on the rally car it gives me the best of both worlds , lots of long range to see down the straights from the Lightfoce and lots of spread from the Super Oscars for the sidways bits.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Thread Information