205GTI oil pressure
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 205GTI oil pressure

My 205GTI seems to be low on oil pressure although the oil level is good. It is in between the first and second oil indicator markings on the gauge (on the LHS of the gauge). I presume this indicates low pressure and the RHS red end is high (and not detonation level!)

My car has had an english 1.9 engine transplant and the engine appears healthy. I run castrol magnatec, it doesn't burn any oil and there is only a slight bearing rattle when it's cold for a couple of seconds. Do these cars have a reputation for bad oil pumps? Any ideas re gauge / oil switch / pump??

Advertisement

Derek

My engine which is perfectly healthy is slightly lower than i have seen on previous 205 gti's

Mine when cold is halfway on idle to 3/4 when revving.

When the oil is hot and thin mine sits around the same as yours between 1 and 2 on the white bars and when revved upto 3/4

I too use castrol magnatec and the oil is golden still at every oil change, although i have no rattles or taps etc

Just to add i have seen them and had tghem sit on half on cold and go off the scale when revved!!

And when hot sit just over 2 bars and still nearly hit full when revved!!

I think as the km's go up and they get worn they lose some of the oil pressure....

Those gauges are a mere 'estimate' of where the pressure is. If your really worried fit a decent gauge and measure it. Will be much more accurate.

Cam

Mine has a good rattle early for a few seconds then slowly comes to second bar after 3 minutes....
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

If the oil pressure LIGHT doesn't come on at idle, don't worry about it. It's the only true indication that oil pressure is really low.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Default 205GTI oil pressure

The pressure gauge is not registering at all now. I hope its the gauge or the oil pressure switch and not the oil pump. I am afraid to drive it any further. There is no rattling at all or hot oil or metal smells coming from the donk. How do you check the pressure? Any ideas guys?

Derek

Thread Information