I would like to modify my 406
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default I would like to modify my 406

I would like to modify my 406 peugeot 2ltr twin petrol. I am thinking of decking the block and tacking some metal from the head. How much can you safely take from the head? Also pistons I need to go over size any way. So what is a good and where can I buy a seat of piston s for it. And if any body has any other good little ticks.

Advertisement
    Last edited by krisdavid; 31st May 2011 at 04:58 PM.

Tadpole

Default this is my 406

This is her
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I would like to modify my 406-14042011.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

That car desperately needs a blow-off valve. Should be enough.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by krisdavid View Post
    ..... And if any body has any other good little ticks I could do to make it go hard let me no.
    I dont understand, on one hand you talk about performance, and then I see the picture of the car, and see anything but performance, the complete polar opposite.

The bigest and cheapest mod you could make to that car is to sell those god awful wheels and put some ultra light rims in 15 inch with good high performance rubber.

It wont matter how many horses you liberate with these expensive mods you are suggesting (not many), you'll still get beaten around a corner by a bog standard 406 with lightweight 15inch rims and possibly in a straight line too because of all the energy wasted turning the extra mass.

Jo

Ps
    Considering the car now looks like a VY commodore, have you considered getting a VY SS ????
    They come prety powerful from the factory and are getting to be bloody good value these days.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I dont understand, on one hand you talk about performance, and then I see the picture of the car, and see anything but performance, the complete polar opposite.

The bigest and cheapest mod you could make to that car is to sell those god awful wheels and put some ultra light rims in 15 inch with good high performance rubber.

It wont matter how many horses you liberate with these expensive mods you are suggesting (not many), you'll still get beaten around a corner by a bog standard 406 with lightweight 15inch rims and possibly in a straight line too because of all the energy wasted turning the extra mass.

Jo
    Fair go Jo, personal preference is just that personal. He's lowered it and put on a set of wheels he likes, just as you have.

I'm not saying that 18 inch Chrome wheels are the ideal choice as I'm sure they are heavier than stock but there is also no 'one' optimal tyre size or profile for every car and what works on a Fuego (and I personally thought 16's were better and I have driven a Fuego on both 15's and 16's) may not be ideal on a 406.

I would've thought a 406 would handle fine on a set of 17's or 18's with HP rubber (the 406 coupe ran 16's stock and that was known more as a GT than corner carver).

As for the engine mods, I think the engine is still related to the 206 GTi/180 engine so there should be plenty of info out there but the 406 is quite a bit heavier so having a high revving screamer may not be ideal.

How about something like this - http://www.dp-engineering.nl/EN/proj...6_8v_turbo.php

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Fair go Jo, personal preference is just that personal. He's lowered it and put on a set of wheels he likes, just as you have.
    Maybe I should have just given the short answer like Tim's.

My rims were chosen on just 3 criteria, weight, performance of the total package and price.
    On all three criteria they excel.
    Similar to the 406, I dont have a single watt to waste on turning a heavy wheel.

I actualy think my rims look poxy, but I cant see them when i'm driving so I dont care.

You are probably right, 16 inch is possibly the ideal performance size for this car.

Jo

Yeah the listing I have for the 406 says the 2.0L is an EW10 from 1999 onwards, same (family) as the 206. If it's pre-1999, it's an XU10 iron block by the looks of it.

There are stacks of mods for these engines but most involve cams and head work, and thus expensive ECU upgrades and tuning. work out what you want to spend and then go to a good mechanic/machine shop and have a chat. The listing for XU10 pistons and rings at my work are about $180 each (i.e. $720 for a set) for Mahle brand (good). I don't have a listing for the EW10 motor.

How do you know you need oversized pistons? It's not a particularly old car... Get a second opinion.

I think the obvious starting point for advice is to let people know what your budget is do you have one in mind?

Secondly what do you hoping to achieve eg quarter mile records, slot car like handling, extra grunt towing a caravan ? Or just a 406 with a HP improvement when you put your foot down at any speed ......

Tadpole

This car Handles a hell of a lot better than it ever did when it was standard. As for the engine management system I am getting a motec computer piggy back into the standard system. I would like to know how much can be taken from the head with out going to far. And who in Australia sells good cams and pistons for her. The car is mostly for great HP improvement. I think if i have to rebiuld the motor i should do what i can to make it go as fast as it can i can do all the machine work my self. Thats why i am asking about how much can you take off the head.
    Last edited by krisdavid; 31st May 2011 at 05:05 PM.

Excuse my ignorance what's a banana headbang ?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krisdavid View Post
    This car Handles a hell of a lot better than it ever did when it was standard. As for the engine management system I am getting a motec computer piggy back into the standard system. I would like to know how much can be taken from the head with out going to far. And who in Australia sells good cams and pistons for her.
    drop petert a pm, he is a member here and will be able to supply you with either advice or some parts
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    Excuse my ignorance what's a banana headbang ?
    it's a QLD courting ritual
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Probably from where the line " not tonight I've got a headache " originated from : )

Tadpole

Yer it is in Gladstone QLD

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    drop petert a pm, he is a member here and will be able to supply you with either advice or some parts
    It's closer to Magic. Although even Gladstone is a long way up the coast.
    Last edited by PeterT; 31st May 2011 at 05:47 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    It's closer to Magic.
    Hospital pass.........

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tcusack View Post
    Hospital pass.........

Tim

Peanut gallerie is firing on all cyl tonight.

Jo

Why hasn't someone suggested the most obvious performance mod to any Frenchie here - someone sling him an AussieFrogs.com sticker for gods sake ! They're dyno proven to add at least 5hp !!

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Considering the car now looks like a VY commodore, have you considered getting a VY SS ????
    They come prety powerful from the factory and are getting to be bloody good value these days.
    Don't see the resemblance. Those are wheels from a VE SS, and the 406 body looks more VT to me

I would've thought a 406 would handle fine on a set of 17's or 18's with HP rubber (the 406 coupe ran 16's stock and that was known more as a GT than corner carver).
    A friend of mine has those wheels on his Crewman, they're 19" and look too big even on the biggest Holden

In regards to power: Turbocharge it. As bogan as it is, it's the easiest way to get more power without spending much money. If it's the EW10 engine though, they're very lightweight, and I've heard that 13psi is the absolute maximum.

If you wanted to stay away from a turbo the EW10J4 (at least in the 206), has 10.8:1 compression already, so shaving the head would be a bit crazy. I've been told that the stock cam has very low duration too, so a regrind would make sense to do before shaving the head.

Also, watch out for the police. Machining 4mm out of the bolt holes on those wheels was against the law
    Last edited by Blufires; 3rd June 2011 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blufires View Post
    Don't see the resemblance. Those are wheels from a VE SS, and the 406 body looks more VT to me

Smartie.....

Jo

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Blufires View Post

Also, watch out for the police. Machining 4mm out of the bolt holes on those wheels was against the law
    Actually, I think the wheels are aftermarket Chormies - Vault Crystals I think.

They are a direct fitment

Default Headers ?

I've got a new set of GTi6 stainless steel factory extractors that fit the 406 D8 XU10 engine. You just have to cut the engine pipe and move the flange down to suit.

Gti6 Cams can work if you retune it but larger longer duration cams only work with throttle bodies or delusional folk. unless you go for the XU10J4RS inlet manifold injectors etc,etc...because the gas flow theory is different on the Gti6 engine.

Service it, Powerchip it (cheap compared to an ecu change) get a firesale Remus if you want some noise and then go and do a driving course...after which you will probably put your wheels and suspension back to standard. (but we all have different tastes)

Have had both D8 and D9 2.0 man 406 and they were good cars. I understand your enthusiasm.

Best of Luck.

Fellow Frogger!

Actually, I think the wheels are aftermarket Chormies - Vault Crystals I think.

They are a direct fitment

Ahh, right you are. They are so similar to VE wheels. The star in the centre gives it away when you know what to look for .

As far as cams go, it's been shown on dyno runs that longer duration with a little less lift can make the XU9 engines put out more power, surely the XU10 would be very close? That is with the same manifold without even tuning the engine.

Fellow Frogger!

Just buy a faster car or one that has already been modified. It will be far cheaper.
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

Thread Information