XU5J4 (i.e. 1.6 DOHC) - is it possible?
  • Help

Default XU5J4 (i.e. 1.6 DOHC) - is it possible?

As the title suggests, can you put an Mi16 head on a 1.6 block? I ask because I'm looking at building a dedicated track car in the near future to run in the 1600cc class of modified production cars. Obviously chasing Honda B16's, Ford/cosworths, Swifts etc I'd want every bit of bang I could get. I'd probably go a caged Si, and I wonder if I can run the 16v head?

Advertisement

i was looking into this a while back. check out the 205 drivers forum. its been covered alot. from what i remember it is very possible but you really need custom pistons $$$

The hard part in this combo is compression ratio. Most people have tried with the Mi16 head but using the GTi6 head with its smaller chambers would make design easier. You'd also need a custom billet crank to spin at the required 9000rpm to beat the others. The problem with your idea is that 205's didn't come with a 16V head. I'm not 100% on the exact ruling but I think you have to run at 1200Kg. That's possibly for a 2L car. Not sure what the weight penalty is for 1.6L. That's why nobody is running a 205. You may as well run an Mi16 as it will ultimately be lighter.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

The problem with your idea is that 205's didn't come with a 16V head. I'm not 100% on the exact ruling but I think you have to run at 1200Kg. That's possibly for a 2L car. Not sure what the weight penalty is for 1.6L.
    Yeah I'm trying to work that out too - obviously I'd need to talk to someone who is racing in the class I'm looking at. I can't see anywhere that a different cylinder head would incur a weight penalty. For a 1600cc FWD, the minimum racing weight is 965Kg. an Si has a kerb weight of 881Kg. What does a cage weigh? Maybe I'll coat the think in sound deadening and have a nice quiet racing experience

By the way, do you know anyone who makes billet cranks for a project like this? What sort of dough would I be looking at?

A bare 205 with cage etc. is usually 780-820Kg depending on how radical you are with weight reduction.

There is a place in Argentina that makes the cranks. Probably around $3K.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information