205 exhaust replacement
  • Help

Default 205 exhaust replacement

its been covered before and after a search i decided to take my car in last friday to have an exhaust done for my project gti as it was completely rotten.

i told the guy i wanted a 2.25" system right through and nothing to loud. i also mentioned that i have heard that a 18" resonator and triple flow exhaust with 2" tip is a proven recipe and would prefer something along these lines. however i had a good second hand round muffler that he said would be ok and decided to use that.

i picked up on friday arvo, drove it home and left it there for the weekend.

it was so loud that it was undriveable i was too embarrassed to drive it. when i had a good look i noticed it has a 10 - 12" resonator and the straight through round rear muffler with 2.25 tip instead of 2" tip

ok so maybe thats my fault for bringing in some piece of secondhand rubbish. mind you it was a stainless muffler in very good condition. cost someone a truckload. or maybe its my fault for not making myself clearer or may he just didnt listen what ever way i took it back to have it fixed and again mentioned that maybe a larger resonator might shut it up. he seemed to think putting a 2 " triple flow rear muffler would be better and the resonator was ok.

picked it up today and it is alot better but still droning very badly. ontop of all this he has sort of butchered it now with a 8 x 4" oval muffler around 14" lg with 2" tip. the muffler hangs down on one side and looks crap.
    also he has cut and shut the rest of it to make it all fit in and added a large flange to bolt it all together. in some spots its perfect with excellent welds and in other spots its very rough with some very ugly welds and dodgy looking brakets

so im $350 out of pocket and still didnt get what i wanted.

anyway for all those considering a system make sure you know exactly what you want before you go in and make sure they understand what it is you want.

im now considering taking it somewhere else to be fixed. or maybe take it back and ask for it to be fixed.

can anyone tell me would a longer resonator fix the drone?

PS: i should probley mention its not a loud exhaust it actually sounds very nice but just drones very badly when cruzing. if i could reduce that it would be ok and i would live with the shity welds crappy brakets and crooked rear muffler.

Advertisement
    Last edited by djvu205; 17th May 2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: extra info

Thats sucky man.

I will soon be looking for an exhaust. What Dylan's running on his Blue 205 is nice but a full stainless job.

Have to see how it all unfolds. Goodluck with yours.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by djvu205 View Post
    its been covered before and after a search i decided to take my car in last friday to have an exhaust done for my project gti as it was completely rotten.

i told the guy i wanted a 2.25" system right through and nothing to loud. i also mentioned that i have heard that a 18" resonator and triple flow exhaust with 2" tip is a proven recipe and would prefer something along these lines. however i had a good second hand round muffler that he said would be ok and decided to use that.

it was so loud that it was undriveable i was too embarrassed to drive it. when i had a good look i noticed it has a 10 - 12" resonator and the straight through round rear muffler with 2.25 tip instead of 2" tip

ok so maybe thats my fault for bringing in some piece of secondhand rubbish. mind you it was a stainless muffler in very good condition. cost someone a truckload. or maybe its my fault for not making myself clearer or may he just didnt listen what ever way i took it back to have it fixed and again mentioned that maybe a larger resonator might shut it up. he seemed to think putting a 2 " triple flow rear muffler would be better and the resonator was ok.

picked it up today and it is alot better but still droning very badly. ontop of all this he has sort of butchered it now with a 8 x 4" oval muffler around 14" lg with 2" tip. the muffler hangs down on one side and looks crap.
    also he has cut and shut the rest of it to make it all fit in and added a large flange to bolt it all together. in some spots its perfect with excellent welds and in other spots its very rough with some very ugly welds and dodgy looking brakets

anyway for all those considering a system make sure you know exactly what you want before you go in and make sure they understand what it is you want.

im now considering taking it somewhere else to be fixed. or maybe take it back and ask for it to be fixed.

PS: i should probley mention its not a loud exhaust it actually sounds very nice but just drones very badly when cruzing. if i could reduce that it would be ok and i would live with the shity welds crappy brakets and crooked rear muffler.
    I had the same problem a few years ago with my 205 when I replaced the standard system with a 2inch mild steel pipe, largish resonator and a straight through stainless muffler. Even with a large resonator it was just too loud and droany to the point where I would end up with a headache after 10 mins of driving. However, I managed to pick up a Devil Muffler specifically for a 205 which really quieten it down whilst providing a nice crisp and sporty note. And the best thing is it does not droan at all.

Ebay uk janspeed for me if i have to change it...

Think about improving the sound deadening on the inside floor pan too. It made a big difference to my car, which has a very large and noisey stainless steel system.
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

VIP Sponsor

When I picked up the UK GTi from Sydney is was very loud inside, even bought a pair of ear muffs, but to no avail.
    After driving home to Melbourne, most unpleasant, I adjusted the timing (both power and economy were sub standard) the noise was vastly reduced and the car then went like it should.
    The car had heaps of Dynomat installed, probably in an attempt to quieten it.
    I removed this Dynomat, to save weight in what was to be a competition car and there was no difference at all in noise level.
    Graham

Chris i will let you know how it ends up. hopefully people can learn from my mistakes thats the main reason i am posting this. im 90% sure if he had fitted the longer resonator that it would be better.

i think peter t mentioned a 2.25 sytem with spiral 18" resonator and triple flow exhaust was a good combo.

if still to loud go for a 2" tip on 2.25 muffler (triple flow)

if still to loud go for 2" muffler over the 2.25 muffler (triple flow)

sound wise these are all good just need to delete the drone. i might try and replace the resonator if it gets the better of me. i think will pull it off and tidy up the welds myself with the help of a friend.

You need to get as much volume in the muffler as possible. A new exhaust will also be a little noisey until it gets a coating of carbon, but not droning.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

im going to try and track down a good spiral resonator and also change the cat for a mi16 one i have sitting in the shed. the cat that is on it looks suspect and im not sure if it geniune or what?

the mi16 cat i have should be up to the job and it looks to be a geniune item as it has PSA stamped on it. it also seems to be in good condition and im not keen on blowing the budget again to early.

i also found out a spiral resonator has actual perforations inside that protrude into the exhaust flow and they sit in a spiral configuration, hence the name. Youll get a little more back pressure from them but they do shut things up. Other resonators just have pinholes inside them.

my rear muffler is as long as it can be. the guy who did it was pretty helpfull today and is happy to help out. i think it is partly my fault for not telling exactly what i wanted in the first place and that has caused it all to go pear shaped.

so to summarise i will be aiming for

1. replace meant of cat with mi16 one
    2. longer spiral resonator
    3. and way down track a bit now a neater lukey 2.25 triple flow muffler without the big flanges to bolt it together.

its all done in mild steel and i think for my situation and budget stainless is a bit of overkill.
    maybe next time round once i have a proven combo. would of hated to have these dramas with stainless system

anyway it hurts to say but price wise it initially cost me $250 then $100 to replace crap rear muffler which i should not have done first hand.
    he said he can fit the mi cat for bugger all and supply and fit another resonator for a further $100.

making the total $350 so far and will be a total of $450 if i go spiral resonator way.

just on the flange joints, i dont like them, they are really unsightly and there is no movement in the system ie: you cant loosen off the joint and give the system a twist. well at least without elongating holes and having miss matching flanges. this is why i think the exhaust sits crooked at back.

one other thing the guy left out the expansion piece that i ask to be fitted as he said it doesnt need it due to the spring loaded gasket thingy on the exhaust mainfold. i would have still liked to see that in there but

something for you to think about Chris

i dont feel to bad after reading one of Jo Proffi old posts saying it took him 3 years to get his exhaust right.
    Last edited by djvu205; 18th May 2011 at 09:04 PM.

.....i think it is partly my fault for not telling exactly what i wanted in the first place and that has caused it all to go pear shaped.
    I cant help but say...
    It is not pear shaped, you are just going through the sometimes tedious steps one goes through when designing an exhaust that is perfect for your needs. There are so many things that can go wrong, and if drone is the only thing, thats fixable.
    Having spent a mere $350, a pittance to what some people spend on their systems and having a system that is starting to get there, I'd say you are winning ,and soon should have what you wanted on budget.
    When I was building my exhaust I started of rudely noisy went back for an extra mid resonator, then went back again for a quieter rear muffler, then went back again for a different tip.
    The guy closed shop before I could get it fully right.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    The guy closed shop before I could get it fully right.
    Given all the dickheads these guys have hardened their hearts on, it takes a lot to break their spirit. I salute you, sir!

Tim

Concerning cost, I think you are winning too. I spent $900 just to get my system adjusted so it didnt thump on the power steering unit when revving. It was a bastard of a job and cost the guy $1K+ in time experimenting on how to get it right.
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by tcusack View Post
    Given all the dickheads these guys have hardened their hearts on, it takes a lot to break their spirit. I salute you, sir!

Tim
    I have my suspicionst a beast much more sinister than a mere male played a hand in it, Tim.

Jo

I had an 18" resonator (hot dog style) put on my 2 1/2 systen to tone it down. It worked but not as affective as what I thought. I still have a thrashy sound when the revs get up over 4000 but below that, the exhaust is silent as.

Moo.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Thread Information