Roll cage for 405
  • Help

Icon5 Roll cage for 405

I'm looking to fit a roll cage in my 405. Plenty of places will do a custom bar job, but fairly big $$. Sparco and OMP (and others) mass manufacture cages for a lot of cars including 106 and 205 pugs, but 405s are obviously not as common on the track.

I have found a reference for a Sparco bolt in cage on Ebay UK. http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&so...NwERtQ&cad=rjt

Who else out there has put a cage in a 405. What can be learned from your experience and what pit falls have been uncovered. Any experience in Vic?

Hope to see some posts here over the next week.

Cheers.

Advertisement

mlb

Have a chat to RallyNuts www.RallyNuts.com

They have the Sparco ones, as well as some from OMP. A lot of their stock isn't on the site, but they put it up if you enquire. Might be worth a look. I've dealt with them a bit and have nothing but praise for them.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Fellow Frogger!

Bolt in cages are useless in my opinion.

If done correctly the cage can make the biggest improvement of anything you will do to the car. It actually allows your suspension to work without having to deal with body flex as well. Spend the $ for a welded in cage.

Send Peter Taylor a message. He did a motor for a 405 that had a real nice cage fitted in Victoria.
    Adrian Wuillemin

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Wuillemi View Post
    Bolt in cages are useless in my opinion.

If done correctly the cage can make the biggest improvement of anything you will do to the car. It actually allows your suspension to work without having to deal with body flex as well. Spend the $ for a welded in cage.

Send Peter Taylor a message. He did a motor for a 405 that had a real nice cage fitted in Victoria.
    That was fitted by Brown Davis Automotive in Bayswater.
    They have done cages for my 203 and 205.
    They cost around $1600 each.
    The 203 cage was bolt, in later welded to the shell in various places which made a huge difference to the car.
    The 205 cage is weld in.
    These cages are the bare basics but both comply with CAMS regs and both are providing substantial extra stiffness to the shells.
    They can build cages to any standard, have a talk to them regarding your requirements, but make sure you get a firm quote.
    Graham

Thanks Graham, I actually looked at these guys on the internet last night. Looked pricey, but at $1600 (even if base model) is fairly cheap. B.T.W. low compression problem with the XU9J4 turned out to be high oil pressure (jacking hydraulic lifters) -all good now!

Have you thought about designing/building your own cage?
    I did this to my 205 and it's a fair better cage than what you
    Normally would get from a shop and a lots cheaper.

Have a click on my link in sig it's my 205 I'm building ATM.

Cheers Jason

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by racing405 View Post
    Thanks Graham, I actually looked at these guys on the internet last night. Looked pricey, but at $1600 (even if base model) is fairly cheap. B.T.W. low compression problem with the XU9J4 turned out to be high oil pressure (jacking hydraulic lifters) -all good now!
    How did the high oil pressure come about?
    Does it go OK?
    Graham

High oil pressure due to dry sump. External pump with external relief valve. I have dropped the oil pressure so that when hot it idles with around 20PSI, at 4000RPM delivers around 40PSI. Don't know what it will deliver at full noise yet, haven't got there. Booked on the dyno again on May 11. Will let you know then.

Whole idea of fitting this engine was to get all the ancilliaries right before I bolt in my high performance engine. So it currently has the quad throttle bodies, dry sump, Haltec Sprint 500 ECU, new crank angle sensor, auxiliary coolant temp and oil pressure gauges.

With the Quaif diff and the changed ratios from your old box already on board, once I have proven that everything else will hang together, the new engine will go in.

VIP Sponsor

High oil pressure due to dry sump. External pump with external relief valve. I have dropped the oil pressure so that when hot it idles with around 20PSI, at 4000RPM delivers around 40PSI. Don't know what it will deliver at full noise yet, haven't got there. Booked on the dyno again on May 11. Will let you know then.

Whole idea of fitting this engine was to get all the ancilliaries right before I bolt in my high performance engine. So it currently has the quad throttle bodies, dry sump, Haltec Sprint 500 ECU, new crank angle sensor, auxiliary coolant temp and oil pressure gauges.

With the Quaif diff and the changed ratios from your old box already on board, once I have proven that everything else will hang together, the new engine will go in.
    My old box?
    Did you buy it off Justyn Palmer?
    Graham

Whole idea of fitting this engine was to get all the ancilliaries right before I bolt in my high performance engine.
    Sounds very wise. Don't forget you will need to replace the non-return valves in the head with restrictors to decrease the flow of oil to the solid lifters in your new engine.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Sounds very wise. Don't forget you will need to replace the non-return valves in the head with restrictors to decrease the flow of oil to the solid lifters in your new engine.
    Or you will do a "Clevo" and fill the rocker cover with oil that will then escape by every possible orifice and then some!
    Back on thread, also try FabRaications in Braeside. Does really good work. Actually any FIA cage builder such as FabRai or BrownDavis in Australia are sooo much better than a post pack rollcage unless you can seriously weld a cage in let them do it!

Thread Information