Anyone recently installed ECU on 8V?
  • Help

Default Anyone recently installed ECU on 8V?

Does anyone know of an 8V being fitted with an aftermarket ECU recently? In particular a Microtec M172 from Competition Systems in Melbourne?

I have been told that Competition Systems have just installed this ECU on an 8V and have it running fine. If anyone know who this would be I would love to speak with them.

They should know that the ECU is at least second hand, probably third hand, and I would love to know what their ignition set up is - this ECU would do everything it was supposed to for me while static, but when cranking would not generate a spark.

Hope to hear something....?

Advertisement

The age of the ECU shouldn't matter as long is it works and the software is current.

I'm sending my WOLF3D that I'm going to use on my 8V to Wolf to get the once over and have the software updated.

Chris

The problem is, the ECU was sold to me as 'NEW' and I think it had been in another car before it came to me. I would be surprised if it wasn't sold to the next customer as new even after I had installed it, and had it powered up for hours trying to get the configuration right. As far as I could tell, everything was as it should be, but I am not at all certain that the firmware and hardware revisions were supporting the installation the way it should have done. Vendor had no ideas why it wouldn't give me a spark when cranking. Hope to contact the next user and share some lessons learned.

Dang....

Thats a freak situation. Don't get me wrong please. Every time I've dealt with Wolf with my ECU they have been great (my Wolf has been in two other cars and the 205 will be the third). I hope you get through this relatively smoothly.

Keep us updated. Bare in mind, a Haltech Sprint can be had for a whisker of $1000. If it gets to the point where the ECU is stuffed and you get the run around, this could be an option. Not ideal, $1000 is serious money. If my Wolf gives me any sort of trouble this is what ill be changing too.

Goodluck with it.

Oh, its a stretch (a 6 month ago stretch), but does your 405 run 5 spoke bathurst style globe wheels? I passed a track 405 on a tandem heading away from the Melbourne city on the Monash Freeway in my silver 205GTI. Thought it might have been you ???

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post
    Oh, its a stretch (a 6 month ago stretch), but does your 405 run 5 spoke bathurst style globe wheels?
    That would be John Austin's. I built the engine. Adrian W built the gearbox. John's a good pedaller and it's a quick car - ultra competitive.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Dead straigh, John can really steer that car. I have seen him put some big $$ cars to shame on short tracks. My 405 still has it's original alloys but running 205x55 Yokohama A042 rubber.

For what it's worth, I have put a Haltech Sprint 500 in, and it was really easy to get running. With quad throttle bodies and no supplementary air device for idle, I cannot believe how easy the car is to start. Much better than I was expecting. Haven't yet got a power figure though.

Thread Information