Megane - brakes grabbing - causes?
  • Help
    IWS

Default Megane - brakes grabbing - causes?

I'm looking at purchasing an '04 Megane. It has low kms (55,000) and drives well except for one thing - the brakes "grab" at low speed.

I'm having an RACV inspection done and have asked for that to be checked - so hope will get a report on this from the RACV guy.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this? And is it something that might make me not want to buy the car?

Ian.

Advertisement

I doubt it! They probably need a bit of caning to liven them up. Renaults in general have a beautifully progressive feel in their brakes but if they have never exceeded 60 km/h in their lives they may well grab around town. Take the car to a quiet stretch of road and do half a dozen or a dozen crash stops in close succession and after that see how they perform at low speed.

The problem could also be that they just feel so different to what you are used to. I had a similar problem going from my RX4 to a Koleos, the brakes were hard to work out for a good while but I now have the hang of them!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

IWS

Thanks Kim.

I'd wondered if the problem was that the car has been sittiing on the car lot for some time (it was a lonely Renault in a sea of Fords!) and if the rear drums were just a bit tight - and so need a few energetic applications to free them up!

I've not encountered this on other Megane's that I have test driven. And the R19 that the Megane is to replace is nothing like this.

I'm planning on a longer test drive tomorrow - before deciding if to buy or not - so will see if the problems eases after the car is fully warmed up.

Ian.

Best of luck with the test drive. We may be welcoming a new Megane owner to Aussiefrogs shortly!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thread Information