Feasible to fit truck air horn to sedan ?
  • Help

Default Feasible to fit truck air horn to sedan ?

I'd REALLY like to fit a playback device with a recording of a truck full of live pigs locking up the brakes from 110 km/hr, played through giant loudspeakers in my engine bay.
    But I'll settle for a truck air horn. I have a car air horn compressor, but I guess truck ones are larger.
    Would one of these drain my battery / electrical system too much ?? I would only use it with the engine running, of course. I'd like to blast philistines who have more money than sense / empathy for other drivers, and see their heads swivel and rotate to try to find the truck bearing down on them.
    Most of them have black Audi or BMW 4 wheel drives with air-con on and windows up.
    My current horn only goes "poot", which is laughable.
    I really don't care about the legalities of it.

Advertisement

UFO

I think truck systems run on 24V which would imply a more powerful compressor.

A good set of FIAMM or similar horns for a car may be a better solution.

Mind you as we saw yesterday, even a fire engine with lights and sirens active has little effect on white ute man as he bears down on the intersection that he MUST get through. He finally conceded when he realised that 12 tonne of big red fire truck may just be more mighty than his toyota ute.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I hope you understand how enraged air horns can make someone when you do more than a quick toot.
    Electric horns are much better for sitting on for long blasts.
    I have both in my car, and the they take heaps longer than the electrics to come on, so i can get a friendly toot-toot in before I let em rip.
    You can expect drivers to want to get out of their cars to thump you if you sit on the air horns though. I'm being deadly serious too, something about them makes certain people see red and if you cant handle that type of thing, think very carefully about using them in an urban setting.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Icon10 There is a train on your case.....hear this!! Train them!!

Australdi left a set of air horns that used to be fitted to the old blue Harris trains. The sound is well very unique "train like" and bound to get the attention of the most errant driver.

I am sure that she could be pursuaded to part with them if suitable monetary offers were made. (I have thought of selling them to a train buff who drives a Fuego, just for fun)

Ken

Trucks have centralised air systems. They have a compressor driven by the engine and a big air tank. The air powers the service brakes, parking brake release, horn, and sometimes also the starter motor. Electricity, of whatever voltage, does not come into it.

Stick with the FIAMM car-type electic air horns. Or the recording.

Roger

PS If I was driving a truck full of pigs (or any livestock for that matter) I would do everything possible to not have to brake suddenly.

2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Blufires View Post
    Echo much?
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

1000+ Posts

Pansies!

You want something that'll do more than bring a truck to a shuddering halt, this could stop an alien invasion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndChcyOAEcs
    Last edited by Exfrogger; 13th March 2011 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Pansies!

You want something that'll do more than bring a truck to a shuddering halt, this could stop an alien invasion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndChcyOAEcs

Ya got me...

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    I'd REALLY like to fit a playback device with a recording of a truck full of live pigs locking up the brakes from 110 km/hr, played through giant loudspeakers in my engine bay.

My current horn only goes "poot",
    Aha! A Furry Freak Brothers fan.

Tim

My R16 had a cleverly sited spare tyre in it's engine bay which when inflated to 125 PSI (Whatever that is in kilowhatsits) would happily produce enough LOUD toots from a set of International F1800D air horns also mounted under the bonnet to blow just about anyone off the road in front of me.

At 125 PSI the Horns were immediate, no delay. The best part was watching the person I blew them at looking for the truck, not the R16!

You could dispense with the tyre and obtain a decent sized air tank/s to fit in there from local friendly truck wreckers along with all the other bits you'll need! Hope this helps!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

You caught me out, Tim.....I'm a relic from the seventies. I just can't remember much of it....

You are right, Jo Proffi. I shall probably only fit electric ones, bought from the wreckers, from a Japanese car. But it is nice to imagine peoples' heads rotating 360 degrees like Linda Blair's in The Exorcist, while they look for the truck bearing down.

Tram bell?

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post

Tram bell?
    Not going to work in Melbourne as the locals will just ignore it as usual!
    The Ship's horn would be perfect for those really foggy mornings either 1 Well away from any water course capable of large shipping or 2 Right beside bay/river or harbour when so dozy bugger has just cut across your bow. but well worth it!
    Is there a limit as to how loud your warning device can be?
    Last edited by bluey504; 14th March 2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: more guff added

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    Is there a limit as to how loud your warning device can be?
    Yes. 120 db(a).

Jo

mlb

Do a search LRAD. Should meet all your needs perfectly
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Fellow Frogger!

Anybody know if it'd be legal to mount this BANK ALARM (I nabbed it from a NAB) I have sitting next to me in my 206? I'm sick of this "peep" sound it makes. The bank alarm in question is designed to be audible for some kilometers in open air, or at least a street away in the city. I think it's right on 120db, as it felt like I had permanent hearing damage (anything over 90db should do this) after I touched it to my car battery to test it

P.S.
    Check this one out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK2tWVj6lXw

Google Stebel Nautilus - or search on eBay. They do a "truck" horn version as well. Nice and compact and apparently VERY loud!
    KB
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by Blufires View Post
    Anybody know if it'd be legal to mount this BANK ALARM (I nabbed it from a NAB) I have sitting next to me in my 206? I'm sick of this "peep" sound it makes. The bank alarm in question is designed to be audible for some kilometers in open air, or at least a street away in the city. I think it's right on 120db, as it felt like I had permanent hearing damage (anything over 90db should do this) after I touched it to my car battery to test it

P.S.
    Check this one out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK2tWVj6lXw
    At 120db it will undoubtedly be EPA approved! From memory even the Cops in Melbourne had to reject 120db sirens due to the possibility of hearing damage to themselves and the public.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Icon6

G'day,
    I have a Stebel compact NAUTILUS on the bike. It seems to do the trick. There is no delay, and it is loud.

http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/prod...CTROPNEUMATICS

or thereabouts.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Ken,

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Australdi left a set of air horns that used to be fitted to the old blue Harris trains......
    very tempting, mentioned it to mate the other day, it's been done. But, that was an f100 with a charged up compressor in the tray and a set of diesel horns inconvenient but entertaining.....

cheers,
    Bob

Thread Information