206 gti 180 shifting gears for quick acceleration.
  • Help

Default 206 gti 180 shifting gears for quick acceleration.

whats the best rpm to change to second and then second to third to achieve the quickest acceleration and also avoid gear grinding. i havent pushed mine beyond 6grand before changing to third but i no it revs out just after 7 but i havent been ballsy enough to try that

Advertisement
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK
    1998 406 2.0L auto ST WHITE

[email]matt_molon92@hotmail.com[email]

If you are anal, get your car on a dyno and have a look at the power curve. This will show you where your engine outputs peak power and u should shift so that you maintain the engine rpm around there.
    However, I was always told that with naturally aspirated cars you just go to the rev limit (7300 for your 180) before you change and thats pretty much as fast as its gonna get.

yeah but i feel like the gearbox cant handle the gear changes i got a bit of a grind when i took it to nearly 7 so mmm like i love to give my car a rally race back home from my girlfriends but i dont want to to destroy the thing.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by matt_molon View Post
    yeah but i feel like the gearbox cant handle the gear changes i got a bit of a grind when i took it to nearly 7 so mmm like i love to give my car a rally race back home from my girlfriends but i dont want to to destroy the thing.
    Matt, take it easy on the car. Take out your energy on your girlfriend or the bench press or something.

Ok, original question, when to change gears.

If you want to go hard, take it high, but not too high.
    Red line is fine, but no rev limiter. Thats hard on the car if its a stone wall rev limiter in first gear.

Consider though, that in my old car, second gear can take me over the speed limit in most built up areas, so your car would have an even higher 2nd gear top speed. I'd guess maybe 90-110 km/h.
    ON local bush fangs, I hardly ever raise a sweat in 3rd, and only occasionally slam it to 2nd for a hairpin.
    I'd consider you nuts to be taking third gear to the rev limiter around here, and so on for 4th and 5th.
    Thats why I often hoon 1st and 2nd, and pop her straight into cruise mode 5th gear.

Best I can say is its not what revs you go to, its how you get there and how you change.
    Look at your passenger. If you are tossing her backwards and forwards with gear changes, you aint got the knack and need to practice doing it smoothly. Same for if you crunch something.

Unless you are just going full stink on a track and flat shifting where you dont even lift the accelerator, take your time on the gear changes and get the clutch speed, shift speed and revs to point where your shift is smooth.
    Not only will old people like me and your passengers be passively impressed, but your gearbox and entire driveline will thank you.
    Go hard in the gears, just take it easy on changes.
    (and for god sake dont hoon too hard in 3rd 4th or 5th.)
    Jo

The 180 will grind its gears if you pull it like an 18 yr old.

It's not really about the rpm: slow down the shift action a little bit. It doesn't have to be a lot, but it will feel like an age.

Having said that, the most fun from the engine is between 5,500 and 7,200 rpm

If you want your car to last however, save that for Wakefield Park, not the traffic light grand prix.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

thanks guys nah dont worry im not reving the thing off its tits i got it for fun but also because i wanted something to last as the 306 was dying out so as much fun as the 180 is theres no point having all the fun in a month and find my car wont start. i havent pushed it to its limits yet and as you have already indicated because there is no where to do so without endangering my own and many others lives. saying that i have to travel wakehurst parkway everyday to work and normally when i turn on there isnt much traffic and i hammer second then ease off and straight to fifth its almost like a morning wake up, never drive like a hoon when anyone is in the car, i dont want that responsibility on my shoulders. anyway back to the car. im finding that 1st to second at 3500 and the 2nd to third around 7000 get me over 100 quick smart. i do need to practice this tho as i have a bet that my factory 180 will beat a mate at works old rx7 which he has been beefing up might i add costing twice as much as i paid for my car. i have been practicing quick shifting and im fine with that no jerks no grinds so i think im all good i just wanted to see where other 180 owners found the best to change.

matt
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

Fellow Frogger!

I haven't driven a 206 so I don't know what the engine and gearing is like, but I'm guessing it would be fairly similar to the 6 in that peak power is somewhere between 6k and 7k rpm and peak torque is probably between 5k and 6k rpm...

I find that in the 6 changing just before 7k seems to give the best results as far as outright acceleration goes. 1st to 2nd is a little bit more difficult than the other gear changes but it shouldn't be too bad. As Jo pointed out though you'd be pretty close to speed limit by the end of 2nd gear. The 6 will do 110 km/h in second but I find there's not much point in going that high, especially if you're giving it some stick through the twisties when a bit more torque and a few revs left in the engine come in handy.

Cheers,
    Stu

Fellow Frogger!

More gains can be had from a good launch than trying to make up for it with quick shifts. But I generally change up at 6500 rpm on the track. Dont forget that the 180 is geared such that it falls about 1000ish rpm on a gear change so 6500 keeps it near the peak power band.

If it is still crunching, could it be attributed to the gearbox fluid? My car had really annoying downshift and not quite smooth through the gears. He changed it to some new stuff that works wonders.
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma View Post
    If it is still crunching, could it be attributed to the gearbox fluid? My car had really annoying downshift and not quite smooth through the gears. He changed it to some new stuff that works wonders.
    Which fluid did you change to?

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by slobberingant View Post
    If you are anal, get your car on a dyno and have a look at the power curve. This will show you where your engine outputs peak power and u should shift so that you maintain the engine rpm around there.
    G'day,

speaking of which, are we having another dyno day ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

if it's grinding it means that the dog ring and the gear are not matching speeds... and the synchros are grinding while trying to engage...

remember road cars have synchromeshes.. don't be too harsh on them!
    306 S16

Fellow Frogger!

bad karma is on the money with changing oils in the box, i run royal purple gear oil in my 180, and after the change it was mint, ill now change it every 10-15k, 90 odd bucks for oil is cheaper than a box rebuild.......
    PUG 206 GTI 180
    AEGEAN BLUE
    OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERAS
    BREMBOS
    ACHILLIES 123S TRACK RUBBER
    AST SPORTLINE I
    AST SOLID TOP MOUNTS
    EMS EXHAUST
    EMS TUNED
    AP CLUTCH
    PHILLIPS HIDS
    GENUINE MORETTES
    IPOD CABLE
    DYNAMAT

107 fwkW DYNO'D 2012

Hey guys sorry to bring up an old thread. Does anyone know if you should use a full synthetic or a semi synthetic in the 180 box? and is 75w80 the correct grade to use?

Quote Originally Posted by superpug View Post
    Hey guys sorry to bring up an old thread. Does anyone know if you should use a full synthetic or a semi synthetic in the 180 box? and is 75w80 the correct grade to use?
    Its not the type of oil that's important. It's the weight. 75W80 period.

Even though Royal Purple is a full synthetic, being 75W90 it shifts notchy or crunches at colder temperatures.

1000+ Posts

I just bought the official version from Peugeot, it's not expensive, and seems to work fine.

Yep - it doesn't need to be fancy, it just needs to be 75W80.

I also bought the Peugeot stuff (Esso or Total) but Penrite make a readily available 75W80 oil.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thanks guys, I think I'll fill her with Total 75w-80, hopefully should smooth out the shifts (just rolled over to 113K and I don't think it's ever been changed )

Thread Information