Head Job in Brisbane
  • Help

Default Head Job in Brisbane

Yeah, yeah - not what you think.
    I need a 505 head skimmed after a blown gasket. The machine shop in my country town has shut down, and I'm looking for a competent machine shop in Brisbane to do this simple job.

Any recommendations, please?

Advertisement

Chilton Engineering Qld

6 Deshon Street, WOOLLOONGABBA, QLD 4102
    Brisbane Inner South, Inner City Brisbane
    p: (07) 3391 1672

Always great work.

Dave

Thanks Dave - much appreciated.

Fellow Frogger!

I know Chiltons personally, they are who i would have recommended also

Chiltons USED to be my preferred shop, because they know 504s and 505s well. For many years there was a Peugeot repair shop only 2 doors away.
    But last time I was there they shaved a cylinder head which I later took to another machine shop for something else.....it is closer to where I live. They took a look at the way it was shaved, with circular lines going across it....it was a rough cut with an almost semi-circular uneven surface from the machine. They commented that no-one shaves heads that way these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    They took a look at the way it was shaved, with circular lines going across it....it was a rough cut with an almost semi-circular uneven surface from the machine. They commented that no-one shaves heads that way these days.
    How do they do it? I have only seen it done on a dedicated head milling machine(?) with a cutting head approx. 200mm across which will leave a slight witness mark of semi circles across the surface.

I would also recommend and have used Chiltons, but generally use Liddles Cylinder Head service at Sumner Park. Both do plenty of work on racing machines as well as the mundane forklifts etc.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Yes, they use a giant milling machine as you describe....of the old variety. They have another type which leaves a really smooth surface, but didn't use it this time, despite charging me well.
    The thing is : David ( the owner ) does not LIKE Peugeots. And though his workers do very good work, I think other places are just as good, if you give them a stern warning about not shaving off too much. And you need to talk to the person who actually does the shaving, too !

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    How do they do it? I have only seen it done on a dedicated head milling machine(?) with a cutting head approx. 200mm across which will leave a slight witness mark of semi circles across the surface.
    The same at the place I use, Rams. They have a Bridgeport mill with a multi-tooth, large diameter cutting head, but with only three teeth, spaced randomly. It leaves an impeccable finish.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

[QUOTE=Beano;935028] thing is : David ( the owner ) does not LIKE Peugeots. [QUOTE]

I would guess after getting so many badly corroded 504 and 505 heads to weld from all of the various Pug repairers in the area, I wouldn't like them either.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Thread Information