rebuilding xu5
  • Help

Thread: rebuilding xu5

Default rebuilding xu5

im about to rebuild the bottom end on my xu5 project. nothing too serious. im thinking i will just inspect components for wear and only replace the rings if i can get away with it. does this sound resonable. i will replace brgs if needed? the crank and flywheel will be getting re-balanced as they are not a matched pair was also hoping to do this with the clutch attached?

im after any advice, as i have only ever rebuilt grey and red motors mostly, with the odd L series datsun also. what should i be looking out for on the xu engine? what components are essential to be replaced and what can be re-used if in good condition.

i was thinking of putting in some mi16 liners while its apart as i have heard they have a thicker wall section and will make the engine more reliable/stronger? will mi liners fit the xu5 block without any issues and is it worth the effort if i can get hold of them easily.

plans are to put a rebuilt head on top of all this with a clean up in the ports new guides and 3 angle valve seats. it already has .040 off the face of the head and may need more, im aiming for about 10.5: CR. will be using a 280 degree cam with about .470 lift. eventually with twin 40mm carbs and a recurved dizzy.

Advertisement

That's a bit like how long is a piece of string. Until you pull it apart, inspect and measure, you can't really make any decisions. If paying for a balance, you should also include pressure plate, harmonic balancer, rods and pistons. All seals will need replacing, including liner o-rings and rear main side seals.

I doubt you'd be able to find a set of standard Mi16 liners that are any good these days. Your standard liners are probably in better condition. If you do change liners, you'll need to check liner protrusion.

Don't forget that any block or head decking and/or aftermarket cam, will require either an offset cam timing pin or a vernier pulley in order to get the cam timing correct.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Default xu5 rebuild

peter i will be doing all the seals, o rings and gaskets for sure, was trying to keep my questions brief. im more worried about making the engine strong and what i should do to it while its this far down. ie brgs and liners balancing etc. if the std liners are adaquate and original brgs are in good condition and in tolerence. i wouldnt bother replacing things. im not trying to cut corners. maybe just money i just dont know theses engines well. it is a budget build but im prepared to give it what it needs. the std liners look to be ok they seem to still have hone marks in them? is that normal? they will be going into machine shop to be measured up tomorow. are the mi liners a good move if i can get some?
    also are sasic gasket kits ok? can anyone recomend a good gasket kit?

i dont care if the motor dies due to something i stuff up on, although i will be taking all care to make sure i dont. im no expert and shit does happen. it all about learning something different, the pleasure of doing it myself and just having a go. its always good to have other peoples opinions. thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by djvu205; 14th February 2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: typo

Thread Information