505 driving position
  • Help

Default 505 driving position

There seems to be a growing number of AF's with a 505 SR and GT variants in the family fleet. The thing that I can't determine is where the difference in driving position height comes from.

On a visual inspection the seats look to be at the same height (compared up against the centre console) but when seated the height in my SRD is a good 30mm higher than the GTi (measured by the room between the roof and my head). The seat frames seem identical so the difference may be in the foam build of the seats. (Or else the seats have just compreesed more in the GTi over time).

In the GTi my right ankle seem to fatigue on long drives so I am inclined to raise the seat if there is an acceptable way to do it. 20 or 30mm isn't much on a tape measure but when you come to lift up a frame it is difficult to find something suitable.

Any thoughts on this proposal?

Tom

Advertisement
    Last edited by tomb; 31st January 2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: grammar

Fellow Frogger!

I have made the rear only of the seat higher in my SR by. from memory, putting in longer mounting bolts into the floor with suitable spacers (nuts). I didn't like the way the seat base tilted down so much at the back so it is now much flatter to sit on. Might make it a bit flatter still by putting thinner spacers at the fronts too.
    Last edited by Nisspug; 31st January 2011 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks Nisspug for your response.

I am leaning towards two lengths of 35x35 steel tube, needs to be approx 310mm in length and some longer bolts. I'm not keen on the big nuts method although it pobably works fine.

Tom
    Last edited by tomb; 2nd February 2011 at 08:05 AM.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

That's funny, I find the driving position in a 505 like driving a bus, even compared to the 504, which seems to have the seats set lower, which I like. I have 505 STI Exec seats in my 504, and I didn't put the spacers in, rather the rails are sitting on the floor. Much better. I have heard of people removing the spacers from their 505 to lower the seat, too.

I drove a 505 GTI a few months ago, and it seemed the steering wheel was between my knees.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Thread Information