306 HDI TURBO LAG intermitent
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default 306 HDI TURBO LAG intermitent

sons car has a habit of not spooling up every so often ,he says its like a flat spot when he puts his foot down theres nothing there ,its common rail ,could the wast gate be sticking or maybe a bad electrical connection someplace ,any input appreciated PUGS

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Default now

its got no boost at all and the idle speed is high and eratic ,sounds electrical or maybe sucking air some where ,what do you think .PUGS

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    its got no boost at all and the idle speed is high and eratic ,sounds electrical or maybe sucking air some where ,what do you think .PUGS
    Do you mean it has got worse/more frequent?

Does to blow any smoke?

Does it still rev?

Check for intake/vacuum leaks first as that costs nothing.

The wastegate could be stuck open I suppose but I'm not sure that would explain the idle problem.

The recirc valve (BOV) could be stuck open causing some of the the boost to recirculate.

Is it worse when hot or cold or the same all the time?

If it has a massive leak between the turbo and the manifold, it could just be dumping the boost to atmosphere, but I imagine you'd hear it and see if it was that bad.

Make sure the intake between the air filter and the turbo isn't collapsing under the pressure drop through the air filter too.

Fellow Frogger!

Agree with the above ^. The exhaust housing could also be cracked around the wastegate which would prevent it sealing. Can you hear any rattles or noises when it comes on boost (or tries to)?

1000+ Posts

Default thanks guys

I perswaded him to drive his brothers car today while i had a look at it ,after having a bit of a poke around under the bonnet checking for loose or broken hoses wires or connecters i found nothing exept i noticed that the connecter that goes onto the thingo that the throtle cable pulls had a small cable tie around it, i ensured it was pluged in properly ,took the car for a drive couldnt fault it ,so im at a bit of a loss as towats going on ,i notice from the deisel tuning post that the ecu regulates the wastgate using vacume from an electric pump so so maybe all the rain wev been having has caused some problems there ,will take it to Dave at Transmeck to have codes downloaded ,and see what shows up ,thanks for your prompt reply PUGS

1000+ Posts

Default still going fine

Havnt done the code thing yet but ,its running just fine ,dont rely like it when things mysteriously fix themselves,as they seem to re appear when least required PUGS

Thread Information