Useful cheap tyres for a small car
  • Help

Default Useful cheap tyres for a small car

The lady's car needs new tyres. It's a POS 12 year old lancer 1.3L, so it's not worth spending a lot of money. Not putting Michelins or anything else expensive on it, but I don't mind spending a bit more than the cheapest option. I don't really trust any tyre joint to give me honest advice. Has anybody bought a cheap set of tyres lately? The size is 175/70/R13.

Advertisement
    Care factor = -273.15șC

In that size, the difference in price between absolutely atrocious and decent is quite small.

You might as well get the best michi or a yokohama. It wont be much over $100 per tyre.

Go down to Centre Road Wreckers and pick a couple of pairs of matched tyres.

I did this for my Daughters Honda, pair of Pirellis on the front and a pair of Contis on the back. Both all with about 75% tread left. $40 each. $10 each to fit and balance.

If you are prepare to scrounge a bit, go through the spares tyres in cars in the yard.

Pick A Part in Kilsyth and Jolly U Pullit do much the same deal.

We are selling the car soon so new tyres weren't justified, but after what I got $160, I had second thoughts about new!

EDIT: If want cheap with convenience Bob Jane out-of-rounders (AKA All Rounders) aren't too bad, but Yoko C drives are much better.

The best tyres I have ever fitted to my wife's Mazda 323 are Pirelli. They have great grip and low road noise. So far the wear is looking good too.

They were a little more expensive than some others but I have made the mistake in the past about fitting the cheapest.

Fellow Frogger!

Yokohama A.drive.

As I said in the Picasso tyre thread, I don't remember who it was, but before the Great Crash someone said that you rarely find Yokohama making dud tyres, and that most people are pleased with the performance they provide.

I wouldn't think they'd be too costly either.

i c somebody has started saving for the shuttle launch already....look on the bright side...at least you ve got your priorities sorted...

On a more serious note...why not tell the tyre dealer the same....
    My approach is honest and direct...I basically tell them that I am "not made of money" but I want the best I can afford for my family...The seller usually comes to the party with a few choices... I ve always stuck with the majors...Dunlops, pirellies, bridgestones...whatever....When you see a good tyre you ll know it...Cheap and nasty tyres can be recognized from miles away...

dino

Thread Information