205 GTi custom exhaust - the definitive answer?
  • Help

Default 205 GTi custom exhaust - the definitive answer?

Looking for replacement options for the standard exhaust.

Advertisement

I was trying to find a pre-crash thread where it was recommended to use the manifold from an XU10J4 through to a 2.5" system ... but I can't find it.

What's the consensus on using the replacement manifold with a 2.5" pipe (centre and rear mufflers) out to a 2.25" tip? Car is for everyday use.

Cheers,

2005 Renault Clio Sport 182 Cup
    1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

2.5 seems pretty big.
    2.25 gets plenty of recomendations for old 2l donks.
    I've got 2.25 on my fuego, and it looks and sounds massive compared to the original
    I dont imagine our donks are that different sounding, but be careful with your choice of mufflers.
    Whilst my exhaust is the same spec as your proposed one (but 2.25) it has non baffled glass filled mufflers and is a bit of an embarasment when i want to be quiet.
    If I were the only one on the road it would be great, but when i drive past shops, all the kids look to see if its one of their doof mates.
    I reckon you want at least one baffled muffler to be stay sane.
    Its well and good to be in the exhaust shop and ordering all the free flowing straight through stuff, but later when its all installed, you can get real sick of it.
    Jo
    Last edited by jo proffi; 2nd December 2010 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    2.5 seems pretty big.
    2.25 gets plenty of recomendations for old 2l donks.
    I've got 2.25 on my fuego, and it looks and sounds massive compared to the original
    Jo
    Tks Jo.

I've got 2.25 on the Mi16 and love the sound. I read elsewhere 2.5" with a 2.25" tip gives a bit of extra flow but isn't too noisy.

1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

One of the.... no, The most noisy french car I've ever heard was a 205 with no mufflers.
    It was peterT's car at the dyno day he had organised for us quiet car drivers.
    I cant remember its Kw, but it was well over 100 and more than any other car that day with a 4cyl.

I can assure you you would not want your street car to sound like that.

Jo

I went 2 1/2 all the way through with a 200cpi Cat and a larger rear muffler. BIG improvement over standard.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...owtopic=125773
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

That does look rather good ... did you end up 'stealth' painting the back box?

Did you get the work done in Brisbane? I'm looking for a good exhaust place. Car should be up here in around two weeks' time.

@ Jo - yep, after driving a short distance in the Mi16 with the O2 sensor unplugged (blocked cat!) I certainly don't want the 'unmuffled' sound for a car I drive every day...

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    I went 2 1/2 all the way through with a 200cpi Cat and a larger rear muffler. BIG improvement over standard.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...owtopic=125773

1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

Fellow Frogger!

I just recently replaced the oem exhaust from (including) the resonator back, using 2in pipe and a hi flow muffler. It sounds wicked, but not over the top. If you accelerate hard, you can hear the motor from streets away, but driven sanely it just has a nice burble to it. The engine is also making more power, perhaps 2-3kW more at a guess.

That's a 206GTi with EW10J4 engine btw, so not quite the same scenario as yours.

I plan to next do the cat, and swap the exhaust manifold for some headers. Going by the improvement to auditory satisfaction already, and the desire to not attract too much unnecessary attention from the boys in blue, I reckon I'll be happy with the 2in system.
    1992 405 SRI 1.9lt White Series I
    2001 206 GTi 2.0lt Diablo Red

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Its well and good to be in the exhaust shop and ordering all the free flowing straight through stuff, but later when its all installed, you can get real sick of it.
    Jo
    Good advice.

Puzzled looks from teenagers aside, I'm pretty happy with the sound my car makes Though I do wonder how much more raucous the car will be once I do the cat and headers

But it's a price I'm willing to pay

i've got a 2.5 on my mi16 and it be LOUD!

I've got a 2.25" system on my race car, which is fine for 200-220hp. An original Mi16 had a twin skinned system which was 2" on the ID and 2.25" on the OD. I wouldn't put a 2.5" system on a street car. You'll hate it. My advice would be a 2.25" system with a 2" tailpipe. I know you judge a car these days by the diameter of the tailpipe but.....................

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Cheers all. I'll go with 2.25" and a hi-flow. Car should be arriving soon, might be able to get the work done before Christmas ...

Any recommendations for exhaust work in Brisbane?

1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

1000+ Posts

Rob Bliss-Northside

CES -Southside
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Fellow Frogger!

I've heard a couple of complaints about Rob Bliss. Mac's Muffler's just up the road from them did my recent work, I haven't had any complaints.

For what its worth, it took me three goes to get my exhaust correct, so a company that doesn't charge like a wounded bull is always good.
    If they get it spot on first go, great, but chances are with a custom exhaust it will need a tweak here or there once it settles into place.
    It is prudent to put a piece of flex into the start of the exhaust, or when you drive it at redline for an extended period it may grow an inch or so and bang on something up the rear.

My first attempt at a custom exhaust in 2.25 was with just a single hollow straight through muffler, which was insanely loud and totaly unacceptable even to me who likes noise.
    Then the next trip back to the exhaust shop was to add a hotdog in the middle, and the next trip was to replace the hollow straight through with a fibreglass packed straight through muffler and to sort out a few rattles and bumps issues.

Jo

Thanks guys, car will be here next week. I'll let you know what I go with.

1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

VIP Sponsor

Default Standard

If anyone in Melbourne ends up with a standard exhaust system surplus to requirements, by now it will be a Walker branded job, I'll take it off their hands!
    Graham

I think the backbox might have been a Lukey, Graham. The centre box is rusted and the cat .. unsure how old. If you want the rear muffler let me know. The car will be in Brisbane next week some time (courtesy Patrick Autotrans).

1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by four_plus_two View Post
    I think the backbox might have been a Lukey, Graham. The centre box is rusted and the cat .. unsure how old. If you want the rear muffler let me know. The car will be in Brisbane next week some time (courtesy Patrick Autotrans).
    Needs to be a Walker or other pattern part with the original bell shaped connections and in Melbourne.
    Jus thought it would be a pity to chuck out the original systems if in usable condition.
    You also usually find the original systems have a larger pipe diameter than the aftermarket jobs.
    Thanks, Graham

Thread Information