help with 206 GTi performance mods
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default help with 206 GTi performance mods

I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on a few performance mods for the Peugeot 206 GTi with the EW10J4 engine.

Strut bars and lower arms
    -Do these actually have a noticeable effect on handling? Has anybody tried them? I don't think I can get ones for the tops of the towers without modifying the firewall around the airconditioner intake though.

Fast Road Camshafts
    -Will this work without upgrading/suplementing the ECU?

ECUs
    -Can any aspiration or other modifications actually have ANY effect on torque and throttle response without upgrading the ECU?
    -Where can I get and how much can I expect to pay/gain for an ECU upgrade and tune?

Advertisement

ITBs
    -Has anybody on AF had/done an individual throttle body upgrade to a car? Details of experience? Are dual boddies worthwhile or only quad?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide on this. All I'm looking to gain is 10-30KW and comparable torque in the end, and looking to spend up to $1000 to achieve it. I can and will fabricate my own fibreglass intake system if need be, rather than pay $500 for an intake kit.

I have briefly looked at remapping my ECU on my gti180. If you go with a mob like powerchip it can cost around $600-700. One company that I talked to would do it on the dyno although it would cost $990.
    The power increases that they claimed were 9kw for Powerchips.
    10 kw for the dyno guys (BPS in Cleveland if you were interested).

After some research it seems there can be some uncertainty around the claims of companies like powerchip as doing a one size fits all ecu mod shouldnt work for every car. Each will be subtly different. The dyno tuning guys should give you a better outcome in theory, and they can prove it with a readout.

I have not gone with either yet. Keep us informed how you go.

PS. Theres a guy called magic on the forum that has the equipment to do this too, it may be worth asking him some questions about this.

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah I've heard of magic's work. I was planning to do most of the modification myself on intake improvements, then pay $500 for an ecu and maybe up to $200 for a full day tune. If it will cost me $1000 just for a tune, and can't get a cam without one, I might just wait 18 months till I can drive a supercharged car, and put 10PSi in the thing (I've heard of it done properly for $2k with a MAF sensor interceptor and making 150KW/280NM).
    Last edited by Blufires; 30th November 2010 at 12:11 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

ok so I did some more research on ITBs. The regular setup for ~30KW would cost around $6k with the full install. However I was thinking I could have a block of aluminium machined with trumpet shaped holes through it and the mounting holes on one side to attach like a manifold to the head, and a shaft mounted across all the trumpet holes to hold the flaps (non-butterfly). It would operate as all 4 throttle boddies, the manifold and the trumpets in one assembly which wouldn't be too difficult for a machinist to produce.

Icon6

G'day,

just wandering for a moment, is it possible to fit a supercharger to a 180 ?

regards
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, the supercharger mounts behind the engine where the radiator resovoir is now. The resovoir has to move to behind the right hand headlight to fit it, but the tubing and belts are relatively simple. The main cost is in having it tuned with a piggy back or upgraded ECU.

gti180 + supercharger= monster torque steer!!
    You would need to get a LSD at the same time I would think.
    Would be an interesting ride. Not sure if its for me though.

These guys have the gear but it's pricey just gives you an idear what you need,

http://www.dp-engineering.nl/

Fellow Frogger!

Does it come in blue?

Tim

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by runabout View Post
    These guys have the gear but it's pricey just gives you an idea what you need,

http://www.dp-engineering.nl/

G'day,,

a bit of understatement there

regards
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

I actually thought the turbo kits were reasonable, having modified a few cars over the years and knowing what it costs to be different. The kits are using quality components and would save a massive amount on trying to get the various parts made here.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Icon6

G'day,

anything a little local ?

regards
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

XTC

Paul at Autoparis has done a quad throttle body conversion for a GTI before (not 180).

He might have other options.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Blufires View Post
    Yeah I've heard of magic's work. I was planning to do most of the modification myself on intake improvements, then pay $500 for an ecu and maybe up to $200 for a full day tune. If it will cost me $1000 just for a tune, and can't get a cam without one, I might just wait 18 months till I can drive a supercharged car, and put 10PSi in the thing (I've heard of it done properly for $2k with a MAF sensor interceptor and making 150KW/280NM).
    $200 for a full day tune?
    If it takes 8 hours then that is $25 an hour not including dyno use charges!

Graham

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    I actually thought the turbo kits were reasonable, having modified a few cars over the years and knowing what it costs to be different. The kits are using quality components and would save a massive amount on trying to get the various parts made here.
    G'day,
    the more I look the more I think you are correct. Is there any one in Sydney [west] that could do the job?
    That is supposing that one drunken night I click on the pay/purchase button.

regards

ps

which is preferable ?

A turbocharger or a supercharger.
    Last edited by pug206gti; 26th December 2010 at 12:53 PM.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    the more I look the more I think you are correct. Is there any one in Sydney [west] that could do the job?

which is preferable ?

A turbocharger or a supercharger.
    A turbo will generally cost more particularly when doing an unusual vehicle modification using new components. Although there are plenty of suitably sized ball bearing turbos off upgraded WRXs available at good prices. Exhaust manifold and exhaust system, pipework, intercooler, oilfeed and drain etc. all add to the cost.

Usually a programmable ECU would be used for either turbo or supercharger, and a set of bigger injectors. Supercharger would probably have to be bought new, although a later C180 Merc Kompressor might be a avilable from a wrecker if it suited the fitment. The belt run and mount for the supercharger can be a problem on some vehicles.

How much power do you want? What do you use the car for? Supercharger is more progressive, bigger turbos can come on in a bit of a rush. You can make huge Hp with either system, but you mostly only hear about big Hp turbo 4 Cyl. I have a friend with a Toyota 4AGZE 1600 making 400Hp with about 2 bar (30psi) of boost on alcohol, so it can be done that way as well.

On your stock engine 7 Psi might be more likely unless you lower the comp ratio. With this amount of boost on your 2L, maybe another 60Hp and a fair jump in torque.

The dyno time will be around $100/hour and can take 4hrs to do well. Don't know about mechanics in Sydney, although Colliers have been modifying Renaults and Peugeots for a long time. Perhaps it would be worth the trip up to Brisbane to get Magic to do the work.

95% of my stuff gets done by me, so I know who to blame if it has problems. Takes much longer and costs a lot less.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Thread Information