NSW - Re-registration of car as 2 seater
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default NSW - Re-registration of car as 2 seater

I've been searching for some time for proper info on what the process is for removing the rear seats & belts legally in a hatchback such as a 205. Frankly noone can fit in there anyway.

Advertisement

So I emailed the RTA's technical enquiries office and promptly received a response. I've decided to honour the RTA's email disclaimer and not copy and paste directly here, however bottom line for the process is:

* Remove seats
    * Drive immediately to blue slip inspection station with registration paperwork (incl. certificate of registration) <technically the most legal way would be to have the inspection station remove the seats...>
    * Have 'adjustment of records' inspection done (I'm assuming it isnt a full blue slip inspection or I'd fail miserably...)
    * Present 'adjustment of records' to RTA motor registry to have a new registration certificate printed.

Hope this helps answer some questions, and I'll put in some search tags below

removal of seats
    NSW RTA seats
    back seat remove
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

great way of not being a taxi for your mates

Sorry for digging a slightly stale post, but before the forum crash I seem to recall that you had photos of the 'conversion' and i remember the back of the 205 looking very tidy - to the point where it looked as though it rolled out of the factory with 2 seats.

Any chance of reposting the pics? I am considering doing someone similar to my 205.

Thanks
    Current: 1989 Peugeot 205 GTi [Mi 16]
    Previous: 1989 Peugeot 205 GTi [stock]

Icon6

G'day,
    re: info from the RTA, good luck to all who sail in her!
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by PugFunk View Post
    great way of not being a taxi for your mates
    One of mates whilst I was at RMIT had an Asian GF. Her parents went everywhere with her. Even when he took her out.
    He filled the back seat with empty cardboard boxes and eliminated the problem.
    They are now married.

My 205 was NSW registered with a full cage and no back seats before I pulled it off the road. What's the issue?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    My 205 was NSW registered with a full cage and no back seats before I pulled it off the road. What's the issue?
    Technically that is illegal and technically if you made a significant insurance claim for 3rd party injury / property it could be denied as the car was not roadworthy. All theoretical and unlikely, but possible.

In this instance I'm just trying to follow the rules as best as possible, although I recognise the 205 will never be fully compliant (too low, too loud, aftermarket steering wheel, front wheels not quite inside guards {only 2mm out, but still...}).

Edit: just read you had a full cage and not half cage. That is DEFINITELY not kosher and nowadays actually near impossible to get registered (in the past could have had a Rally rego but not anymore). Whether the cops bother defecting you is a matter of behaviour, luck and attitude!
    Last edited by Langers; 7th January 2011 at 07:06 PM.
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by clayts View Post
    Sorry for digging a slightly stale post, but before the forum crash I seem to recall that you had photos of the 'conversion' and i remember the back of the 205 looking very tidy - to the point where it looked as though it rolled out of the factory with 2 seats.

Any chance of reposting the pics? I am considering doing someone similar to my 205.

Thanks
    Not me sorry.
    1992 205 Si

Thread Information