306/Xsara steering rack removal tips?
  • Help

Default 306/Xsara steering rack removal tips?

ie - can it be done without having to drop the subframe? I hate dropping subframes...

Have regretfully concluded the thunk in the front end is a rack end bush... Bit surprised to see it worn out at 90K km, but maybe it was without a boot for a while. Who knows..

Advertisement

Are you sure it's not the trailing bush from the wishbone? Balljoints can add a thunk, too.

Yup - wishbone bushes look quite fresh, and its all tight.

Can reproduce the slop in the rack end bush though...

Still drives fine though, albeit with a just discernible tendency to tramline.

It also will clunk loudly when steering wheel jiggled back and forth with engine running (power assistance ram doing the shoving) and not nearly as much when not running (me doing the shoving). The ram attaches at that end of the rack, and is pushing on it differently as it were.

This is my theory anyway

Haakon - you can usually get the rack inners and outers in Febi very cheap off Euro suppliers. They'd be on a par with Lemförder who are OEM for much of the PSA front end.

2× Febi # 17766 @ about €12 each ex-tax
    2× Febi # 09317 @ about €7 each ex-tax (same part as 205 outers)

Postage for whatever you can screw the supplier down to. About 1.8kg with box and padding. PM if you're interested in sharing a €65 mailing box; I could do with a set of inners and outers for the 405.
    Last edited by addo; 22nd November 2010 at 08:29 PM.

I meant the bush in the rack housing that the pinion slides in. The inner tie rod ends are still tight.

Could probably get the rack end bush replaced if it's replaceable, but easier I think to swap the rack.

No probs; just that I have a steady dribble of bits coming in over the next while.

Look up David Hill - he's on the Forum and is a steering rebuilder. I can vouch for his prompt service and quality of product. PSA don't list the rack slide bushing as a spare item, but I reckon the rebuilt racks would have one fitted.

Ages ago, someone - not sure if Tim Cusack or one of the Wuillemins - told me that a "good" inner rack joint on modern Pug racks would just about self-support horizontally. Applying that test shows a good few of them as inadequate.

That's my test too, and both these inner ball joints self support just fine when they were disconnected at the outer joint.

I'll leave it for a bit though I think - for now it's just an annoying noise

Thread Information