DS IE not working
  • Help

Default DS IE not working

Here's one for the IE gurus. I am attempting to move a DS23 IE that has been on static display for a few years. The fuel pump works well on test bench putting out a litre in about 40s. When hooked up to the car and using a jerry can in the back seat area the pump eventually works though there seems quite a lot of return fuel.Priming the pump several times can get some pressure up and disconnecting the cold start fuel line releases some back pressure.But the engine doesn't fire. throwing fuel straight into the butterfly throat area then she'll start but not run. Disconnecting the fuel feed line releases some pressure.
    It seems that a valve of some sort may be blocking fuel delivery to the injectors(?).
    Any ideas fellas ?
    Rgds
    Lou

Advertisement

Im no Gurus but I have had these symptons with my last 23IE but it could be a blockage in the rail maybe the fuel pressure regulator is stuffed

If its not idleing could be the air control valve located on the side of the block below the rail it has a wax coating which can also not close/open try clamping the hose that comes out of it to the intake manifold

Check the hose hasnt come off I have forgtten the specific name of it ha but it sits in front of the passenger side directly on the firewall you can't miss it.This can also effect idleing to the point where the car will just keep cutting out

Cheers.Dan
    Last edited by DeemanDan; 13th November 2010 at 07:58 AM. Reason: added a t

UFO

Sounds like air leakage rather than fuel. Check all air pipes are securely attached and are also not cracked. Duct tape may be your friend.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

There should be a lot of fuel in the return line. That's how it works, the pressure regulator opens at 28psi and allows the fuel to return to the tank.

Ok, you have spark, but no fuel. No doubt it will be a wiring fault. Do you have power at the injectors. The injectors on the car here were actually frozen. I had to remove them and free the injector tip. (just pushed them against something soft until they would move again). If the wiring to the computer ok ?? Are the earth points ok ? Does the computer have power .... etc, etc, etc.

Have a look at the "manuals" thread at the top of the citroen forum and download the Bosch manual so you can get a copy of the circuit schematics.

Edit: Hang on, I think the computer powers the injectors with Djet, and they are permanently earthed, so you will not find power there. The later injection systems power the injectors and earth them through the computer. I think you will need to sit down with a multi-meter and check every wiring connection comparing back to the circuit schematic.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 13th November 2010 at 11:49 AM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Loudel,
    Casting my mind back to the early Volvos.
    The cold start injector could be stuck open. Remove fuel line and block off.

Related to the above. The thermal time switch located on the block [water temp activated] may not be closing off after 7 seconds. This would allow the cold start injector to continuously spray. Remove electrical connection at injector.
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 13th November 2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Loudel,
    Casting my mind back to the early Volvos.
    The cold start injector could be stuck open. Remove fuel line and block off.

Related to the above. The thermal time switch located on the block [water temp activated] may not be closing off after 7 seconds. This would allow the cold start injector to continuously spray. Remove electrical connection at injector.
    Sounds like no fuel to me, not to much fuel If spraying fuel into the intake makes it run, it shouldn't be flooding. I really do think wiring problems. I suggest checking all the wiring connectors around the battery. No doubt another battery was fitted to try and start it ???

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thanks, all, for your collective inputs. Shane's suggestions are closer to the ball - throwing some petrol down the intake works for a couple of seconds so I may presume that the injectors and wiring and computer are OK. All pipes up to joing of fuel line under drivers sill were double checked for (and collared) for air tightness. Remains to see if the pipes in engine bay are airtight. Could be that the cold start injector is blocked closed or no current reaching it as there was some residual pressure when disconnected - will try that next time. Trouble is the car is some 1.5 hours from my house near Brookvale and the next time I'm there would be in 3 weeks or so. I'll study the suggested manuals at the top of the AF page.If anybody has any ideas they are most welcome.
    Cheers
    Lou

Pouring fuel into the intake completely bypasses all of the injection system. It shows nothing really other than you do have the spark/HT/LT side of things right

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information