XY into XP
  • Help

Thread: XY into XP

Tadpole

Default XY into XP

Hi. I was just wonderingif the disc brake frontend off an XY Falcon would fit into an XP. Any information would be great.
    Thanks

Advertisement

Not sure how much help you are going to get from a French car forums. Have you asked on some Ford forums, such as

Australian Ford Forums

or

Ford Australia Forums.com

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by jim71
    Hi. I was just wonderingif the disc brake frontend off an XY Falcon would fit into an XP. Any information would be great.
    Thanks
    As Troyo said a Ford forum would be more helpful but they will fit.
    Ford Falcons had many front stub axles with various axle heights and angles.
    The XY HO had at least 12 alone.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

There is even an XP Falcon website.

http://xpfalcon.com/

The XY spindles will fit but you need reducing tapered collets to adapt to your XP tie rod ends. One source of these is the US supplier "Mustang Steve".

There are differences in the geometery of the steering arm off the spindle, which cause some people to assert this increases bump steer.

Don't forget two details often overlooked: The "belly bar" between shock towers under the motor, and the optional relocation of your upper control arm holes - drill new ones exactly 1" down and 1/8" back from present positions.

I'm not sure where Westair gets that data on the XY HO (would love to see some of it in print form!). Never had the privelege of pulling one to bits. Of other Falcon spindles I have spec'd out, 1966-71 the only geometry difference has been with the steering arm.

You can also try "FordSix.com" (non-commercial website) for tech stuff like this.

Regards, Adam.

The XY hubs being five stud would also require the rear axles to be changed, unless you want to carry two spares. Assuming it isn't already a Fairmont with discs, and the XY set is an upgrade.

Fellow Frogger!

Default xp falcon

the easiest fix for 5 stud on an xp is to slide in a set of xp fairmont axles wich are already 5 stud.
    cheers peter
    9 various renos r8-r18
    xy gs falcon ute much modified.

I'm not sure where Westair gets that data on the XY HO (would love to see some of it in print form!). Never had the privelege of pulling one to bits. Of other Falcon spindles I have spec'd out, 1966-71 the only geometry difference has been with the steering arm.

Regards, Adam.[/QUOTE]
    From the Ford factory build manual- Was involved in building two XYs for competition.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

Guys,

Don't want to be hard to get on with, but have shifted this thread once, only to have it appear again and am now going to lock it on principle due to it not referring to a French car and not wanting to encourage this type of posting in this section.
    The main problem being, that anyone Googling F**d will possibly get referred to it and we then end up with a pile of O/T threads as has happened in the past with ricers and yank tanks.
    I think we've been more than fair letting it run and getting the info that was requested.
    If members wish to continue, please do it in the "Toad Pond" as that is what it's there for.

Alan S (Moderator)
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information