505 Electric Door Piston Thingy.. aka Central Locking Drama's
  • Help

Default 505 Electric Door Piston Thingy.. aka Central Locking Drama's

It wasnt until last week that i was actually aware my 505 came equiped with central locking.. and that all of them did.

Mine has never worked so i've never missed it you see.
    Now however i have seen the light, Thanks to a wonderfull Wodonga resident Ralph and he has set me of on a mission to have mine work once again, after he showed his off infront of me

Advertisement

My little control unit under the dash was broke. The fuse had disolved istelf, re soildered, crossed fingers, nothing.

The rear drivers door has been hard to open for as long as i can remember so took him apart to pull the electric "actuator" i suppose. Actually stop me here.

If it be simply not connected, and we'll asume it was faulty, would the central locking system lock the other 3 doors?

But anyways how do you open them up? The Plastic box with the piston that moves in and out etc etc that is. Mine apears to be very well sealed with no obvious entry position.

Should i be calling over to Ralph's house with a crate of beer and proced to "borrow" some spairs he may have?
    Last edited by bowie; 3rd March 2006 at 11:25 AM.

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Gus

My name's Gus... maybe you could bring the beer to my house. .

In other news, I don't think you can service the solenoid "piston thingies". However, I've never actually seen one break. I'm not saying yours isn't broken, but it may be worth checking (if you haven't already) that none of the other moving bits need greasing.

I'd also put 12v across it and see if it moves! Or better yet, check for resistance across the terminals.

PS I don't think all 505s had central locking... the GR wreck in my yard doesn't appear to (although I guess it could be like yours...)

PPS I think even if one door is busted/disconnected, the other 3 doors should be actuating.

Icon7

Bowie,

There is also a 15A fuse in the engine bay fuse box that might have gone. According to the owner's manual it is fuse no. 4 and also does the cigarette lighter and glovebox light. I'll check one of my spare locking solenoids today and see if I can figure out what pin does what so we can properly test yours.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

1000+ Posts

Dunno about a 505 specifically, but...
    Throw 12v across it for a split second, & you can reverse it to bring it back, that'll show you if its working.

What about wiring issues?

I'd say the rears are passive, i.e. they dont trigger the rest to go up/down, check the number of wires coming out of it compared to the front solenoids, that'll be a tell tale sign.

An aftermarket setup is only about $50-60 & you can get "heavy duty" ones for old cars which work really well!

Hmm that mighten be all that silly.

The Glove Box light still comes on so ill assume the fuse works., ill double check tho as stranger things have happaned.

Ill pass a charge through it shortly and see what happens.

Oh.. and Sorry Gus. Ill gladly send you some beer, but i was actually about the great Ralph.

Sorry for mixing you two up

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40

The actuator won't come apart. But to check if it works (as Nate said), briefly put 12 volts through it one way, then the other. On the rear doors there are only two terminals so you can't go wrong.

Have it disconnected from the linkage while you're playing with it.

One way the piston will pop out or in, and vice versa.

Mike.

WLB

They aren't actually a solenoid but a tiny motorized rack and pinion. Some of them can push up to 1kg. Very useful for other purposes. You can get aftermarket parts and kits on-line from Jaycar if you have damaged actuators, or you can just replace the control unit with an aftermarket unit or one from the wreckers. You can also easily adapt an aftermarket receiver to the control unit on a 505 to get keyless entry. It comes with the keyring transmitter.

Warwick

Bowie
    If it helps. You can buy a complete new central locking kit for less than $100 brand new from Dick Smith. - Chris
    ... ptui!

1000+ Posts

No Chris!!!

Go to JB Hi-Fi & get the "heavy duty" kit...
    they're much stronger actuators & i'm sure the main stream ones couldnt budge older cars locks. (they're normally pretty hard to move)

They're aboot $60 as i said previously... but haggle them & "pay kesh touday"

WLB

Anything from a reputable retailer will have sufficient grunt for a car that is designed for central locking.
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResu...p?FORM=KEYWORD
    Sorry, the copy and paste didn't work. Use the link and put CENTRAL LOCKING in the search window.

cricky they are preety cheap arnt they.. well ill see how i go.. otherwise.. jaycar it is.

Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 central locking

Easiest thing by far is to go to "Strathfield" and get one of their $24 kits. Replace all your actuators. You don't need to drill any holes to run wires and you can attach a length of string when you pull out the old wires to make running the new wires easier.
    It may also pay you to remove the mechanisms on the back doors that attach the locking pin to the actual lock as this is usually the piece that gets a little stiff from lack of use and a bit of corrosion/gunk build up (usually held in place by a couple of small bolts/screws). Make sure this and all other moving parts are well lubricated and moving freely. (Liberal use of WD40 inside any older door has to be beneficial all round)
    These central locking systems usually have a built in fuse (15 A) and you can get a direct feed from the battery which will give you a bit more ooomph to action the actuators. Check also that you get two actives and two slaves in the kit as you can then open from both front doors not just the drivers door.
    PS haven't fitted one of these kits to a peugeot but plenty of other cars, including a Fiat 130 sedan with very stiff rear door locks, and once I had the mechanisms cleaned up the central locking worked a treat.
    Good luck
    Philip

Failing all this, it is quite often the driver's door actuator, that are generally available at the wreckers.

Icon7

Bowie,

Did you try the key in the front passenger's door? The driver's side one may be stuffed as Scott said. I have a few spares, let me know if you need them.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Fellow Frogger!

The drivers door has only a switch for the other slave actuators.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bowie
    cricky they are preety cheap arnt they.. well ill see how i go.. otherwise.. jaycar it is.
    Bowie, if you're in Wodonga, I'm coming up next weekend and I live just around the corner from Jaycar in Melb. Let me know what you want if you are gonna go that way and I'll pick it up for you.

Cheers, Steve.
    '95 405 srdt
    '96 306 xtdt
    '83 505 SRDT (440,000kms) - "Gertrude"
    '79 504 GLD (?x100,000 + 59,349kms) "Guinea Pug"

Thread Information