Wheel balancers uncertain about their work
  • Help

Default Wheel balancers uncertain about their work

Just had the front wheels on my 306 balanced (some Pug alloy rims with no holes in the middle) on the car. When I was leaving, one of the guys their said that they couldn't be certain about the balancing until the car was driven. He said something about the potential of the wheels to vibrate up and down as opposed to laterally. Does this mean my 'balancing' is not necessarily complete?

What would I feel if the balancing was out?

Advertisement

Is it normal to leave the rear wheels unbalanced?
    '94 306 s16
    '91 RGV250
    Economics exists to keep Economists in jobs.

Gus

I call BS on all of what you were told. My advice would be to find a better wheel balancer.

(A 505 I once had had it's steel wheels balanced 5-odd times by one local tyre place - all did nothing for it. After they told me to "drive it to the tip", I took it to a much better place and it was silky smooth after one balance.)

its so hard to find a decent shop that actually balances a wheel properly.
    Peugeot 405 sri 94' everyday. Commodore once a month.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2213367

Quote Originally Posted by Valentino_Rossi
    Just had the front wheels on my 306 balanced (some Pug alloy rims with no holes in the middle) on the car. When I was leaving, one of the guys their said that they couldn't be certain about the balancing until the car was driven. He said something about the potential of the wheels to vibrate up and down as opposed to laterally. Does this mean my 'balancing' is not necessarily complete?

What would I feel if the balancing was out?

Is it normal to leave the rear wheels unbalanced?
    In the words of a popular Qld'er - "Please explain?".

In my experience, an "on-car" balance is as near as you will get to driving it on the road. Is that what you mean by "balanced on the car"? The corner is jacked and the wheel is spun by a roller machine - if it has up/down vibration - you can see it! I dont understand their comment.

What most shops say about wheel balancing is - "We cant GUARANTEE the balance is perfect because we cant go out and test it on the road at 100 km/hr" - fair enough. if you find it has vibes on the road - take it back.

Rear wheels do not have the same effect as front wheels, but can cause vibrations all the same, and should be balanced if you can feel any body vibration, or even at regular intervals.

It almost sounds like they are talking about "alignment" (lateral) as against "balance" (mostly vertical) movement.

Anyway, was it a good balance on the highway, thats the main thing. Oh, in answer to part of your question, you will feel front wheel out-of-balance as a slight shaking of the steering wheel usually around 100 km/hr for some reason. Rear wheel out-of-balance will cause a general vibration through the body of the car, often quite harsh.

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

A few shops have a set up to do non centred wheels on a jig, that then fits to a std balancer. A friend that owns Accurate Suspension at Woodridge has one. French Car Care at East Brisbane have one also.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Just wondering, can an on-car balance be done on a driving wheel, i.e front wheel of a FWD car? I would have though that having one wheel spinning at high speed with the other at rest would not be too good for the diff.
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

Quote Originally Posted by sfrawley
    Just wondering, can an on-car balance be done on a driving wheel, i.e front wheel of a FWD car? I would have though that having one wheel spinning at high speed with the other at rest would not be too good for the diff.
    Me too, hence my "please explain" comment.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by sfrawley
    Have had them done a few times on my XM Auto. No great dramas - could be a challenge with an LSD though.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Yeah i reckon it would be really hard to balance wheels properly when on lsdhttp://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif.
    hang on ill say it-shut up! BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Thread Information