405 vs mi16 ride height standard
  • Help

Default 405 vs mi16 ride height standard

I am wondering if there is any difference in ride height between a standard 405 and an mi16. The reason is that lowering springs don't seem to differentiate in their listings, and I'm wondering whether a spring advertised as lowering the car 30mm will do the same for an mi16.

Also, does anyone have any knowledge of Zender springs?

Thanks.

Advertisement

yes there is a difference.

i parked next a 405sti the other day and was quite surprised by the difference in heights - a standard 405 sits quite high in the bum, the mi16 sits much flatter in comparison.

The standard 405 was at such an angle (high bum) that the nose actually looked lower than that of the mi16...
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

I assume you found the Zender springs on eBay. I have no first hand experience with them, but have heard only good things about them in 205 GTi's.

There is definately a difference in ride heights between a Mi16 and a normal 405.

In an Mi16 at rest, the lower control arm in the front is perfectly horizontal. In a non-Mi16 405, it has about a 1/2 inch droop from the inner bushes to the kingpin. Much higher. At the back, the Mi16 has stiffer torsion bars that are set 2 notches lower.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Thanks for your input guys. With this in mind do you think it is
    worth putting these springs in the mi6, Or would you not bother?

Personally I wouldnt bother - I find the mi16 to be almost too low already - i scrape it on enough speed humps and bumps as it is, i guess the clearance is further reduced by the really stretched wheelbase (for a car of it's size) especially when driving on or off ramps.

Don't know how your handling would be affected either. I love the way my car handles. I wouldnt wanna sacrifice that just for the lowered-look.

There is a member here (johnno-mi16 ??) who has lowered his quite a bit. It looks GREAT but you may wanna ask him bout the downsides...
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

Thanks enthused!

The only things I'm worried about are whether a) It will make virtually no difference, and be a waste of $$ or b) As you say, whether it would have an adverse effect on handling.

I would have thought with uprated springs and a mildly lowered car you would expect tighter cornering and better all round handling, maybe a little less comfort, but am far far from being sure on this....

Thread Information