Yet another PRV thread
  • Help

Default Yet another PRV thread

What would be involved if I wanted to fit a PRV from a Citroen XM (don't worry Cit fans, I won't be trashing an XM in the process) into a 504? As I understand it, the sump is pretty critical to the intended application, am I going to need a different sump? I also assume I don't need to worry about distributors getting in the way of the bulkhead because this engine would be all electronic? Obviously I'm going to need to replace the manifolds.

Advertisement
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

The block is in two pieces. You will need the lower section, including the sump from a 604 to fit this motor to the 504. Not sure about the oil pump pick up. The Cit manifolds may be OK, but I have not seen them.

Are you going to do this is Aus or GB?
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Thanks for the prompt reply Alan, I thought as much that I'd need to change the lower section. The XM engine was the first phone call I made today, the second was about an 89' volvo 760 with PRV, which I believe from a post from OddfireV6 will slot straight in. This one I can see running in the car, the bloke who is selling is prepared to drive it across London for me all for the princely sum of 90. Result!
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    407 HDi Sedan '05

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Uffee
    Thanks for the prompt reply Alan, I thought as much that I'd need to change the lower section. The XM engine was the first phone call I made today, the second was about an 89' volvo 760 with PRV, which I believe from a post from OddfireV6 will slot straight in. This one I can see running in the car, the bloke who is selling is prepared to drive it across London for me all for the princely sum of 90. Result!
    Whatever happens You will need a 604/505V6 gearbox, flywheel and clutch though.
    Graham

An evenfire is easily identified by the distributor being mounted on the end of the camshaft. A 24V motor from a 605 SVE or XM 24V are much rarer and somewhat more costly, but I expect it would be worth the effort.

I admit it is hard to beat the 90 pound Volvo though.
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX

The volvo was probably the cheapest and most convenient way to get a V6 in my hands. I was going to stick with the BA7/4 (for the time being) and try and get a gearbox adaptor made up for the automatic bellhousing that came with the engine. That left a flywheel, I figured a custom flywheel would work quite well as I would be able to juggle the difference in bellhousing/input shaft lengths with flywheel offset. This was all well in theory but I don't even have a garage and the budget was looking very stretched at this point. We're heading off to drive around Europe for 6 months in the 504 campervan in May so every penny is quite important at this stage. Trying to track down a flywheel proved fruitless because the volvos are the only marques that had the PRV that can still be found in wreckers and apparently they only ever came in the automatic version. Possibly the largest Volvo breaker in England said that they'd never seen a manual in 10 years. Tracking down a bellhousing was going to be (if possible) more difficult. I'll just have to wait until I get back to Australia. I hate waiting.

Thanks Graham and Alan for answering my questions, I've managed to further my PRV knowledge which will come in handy, eventually.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

guys don't fear

i may have stumbled across a goodly collection of flywheels

i will keep you informed if they come to light but at the moment it looks pretty good

any takers when they arrive ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

In England, an Alpine man, David Gentleman, would no doubt have PRV flywheels available. Look for Alpine Renault Tuning.
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    In England, an Alpine man, David Gentleman, would no doubt have PRV flywheels available. Look for Alpine Renault Tuning.

the batch i know of are already in this country

not much help to people over the water but maybe a help to us in Aus
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I'm easy with regards to location, just have to convince my parents that they've got room for a flywheel at their place in Adelaide...
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Thread Information