All down to earth.
  • Help

Default All down to earth.

I have just solved a minor but troubling fault with the SII 505.

The LHS indicator had stopped working properly, (parking lamp flashing at 20 to the dozen). Globe OK and wiring to the unit also OK.

After much head scratching and consultation with the learn-ed one , it was considered to be a bad earth.
    Then the task of tracing the harness to where the earth goes.

For those not in the know, look for the white plastic block screwed to the front apron metal, behind the receiver/dryer, behind the battery, under the birds nest of wires. It appears that it is prone to getting general crud and grunge cake on to it.

Remove the connectors and clean/spray drown in WD40/CRC/RP7 etc.

The indicator now works as it did the day it left the factory, (if not better).

Now here is the strange thing:

Advertisement

The central locking now works without hesitation, (previously, occasional glitches, where several goes at key turning required to unlock). The headlights are brighter and do not dim slightly when air con/windows/ other accessories used. In other words, a multitude of other things are improved.

So if the ashtray illumination is not working as it should, check the white plastic block screwed to the front apron metal, behind the receiver/dryer, behind the battery, under the birds nest of wires.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Fellow Frogger!

sounds good, i'll try the same idea with my 205 as it does have some electrical gremlins - rhs headlight, blinker etc etc.
    Puggy.

The electrical return path is actually the most critical.

Years ago scientists/electricians thought that in DC (cars are DC - Direct Current) circuits; the current was thought to flow from the + terminal back to the - terminal, this is know as conventional current.
    Now we know its the oposite, so the actual current flows (that means actual spare electrons movement) is from - (negative) TO + (positive).

Electrical power in any reasonably modern car is ULTRA critical, and the earth is very important. In competition CAR AUDIO, we upgrade the earth strap from -ve terminal to the chassis & to the engine.
    Its makes such a difference even in performance terms....
    ZOOM Magazine did a back to back dyno run. They did several full power runs on a modern Japanese performace car, then they upgraded the earth wiring for a bigger & better set-up earthing out the head, and a few key points. Then they did a few runs more, the averaged 6-7Kw at the wheels more than before, basically free Kw power for the expense of cabling. - Chris
    ... ptui!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    They did several full power runs on a modern Japanese performace car, then they upgraded the earth wiring for a bigger & better set-up earthing out the head, and a few key points. Then they did a few runs more, the averaged 6-7Kw at the wheels more than before, basically free Kw power for the expense of cabling. - Chris
    Thats crazy!!!
    damn my mechanical fuel injection

Time to check my grounds on the weekend i think!

Thread Information