206 engine, how much?
  • Help
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Tadpole NIKOFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    15

    Default 206 engine, how much?

    hey there all, i am interested in performing a 206 engine conversion in my AX, some people from england have told me that the 206 engine (pre multiplex models) is a detuned version of the saxo vts engine, which is simple to install into an ax. so i was just wondering, what would it all be worth to do??? i would initially need a 206 engine complete with wiring harness. anyone got any ballpark figures as to the cost of this? some of the guys in the UK have their ax's fitted with saxo vts engines running 13 second quarter mile passes, now thats as fast as a hsv. dunno bout u, but that sounds like a right laugh. so anyone with some price estimates would be greatly apreciated.

    Advertisement
    Chris
    the frog family collection-
    -CITROEN-
    xantia exclusive
    bx 19 tri estate
    bx 19 tri 122 hatch
    bx 19tzi hatch
    '74 SM injection
    ax GT <- this one is mine
    -RENAULT-
    megane convertible (soft top)

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Country Victoria
    Posts
    49

    Default 206gti into 306

    AT the moment we are looking at putting a 206gti engine into a 306 3door that we resently aquired. and building it into a track/race car.It would be interesting to find out if anybody has done this here. I have found a website in the uk where somebody has done that. and also put a gti 180 engine into a 205 gti.

  3. #3
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    With so few good examples of AX's in Aust is it wise to butcher one ???

    - xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  4. #4
    Banned orestes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    With so few good examples of AX's in Aust is it wise to butcher one ???

    - xTc -
    I say let the guy do what he wants, this forum is full of to many nay sayers when it comes to modifying cars from stock. You're going to get about as much money for an AX as my 5 door 205 as well so I don't see the worry of going backwards when you come to selling as you're already about as far back as you're going to get in terms of what the car is worth now. try http://www.partslocator.com.au/ to source an engine, and then get a quote.
    Last edited by orestes; 24th February 2006 at 12:41 AM.

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts alan moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Ipswich, Queensland.
    Posts
    1,976

    Default

    Perhaps watch the damaged car auctions. If one is unable to be
    re- registered you are likely to get it fairly cheaply
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

  6. #6
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NIKOFF
    hey there all, i am interested in performing a 206 engine conversion in my AX, some people from england have told me that the 206 engine (pre multiplex models) is a detuned version of the saxo vts engine, which is simple to install into an ax. so i was just wondering, what would it all be worth to do??? i would initially need a 206 engine complete with wiring harness. anyone got any ballpark figures as to the cost of this? some of the guys in the UK have their ax's fitted with saxo vts engines running 13 second quarter mile passes, now thats as fast as a hsv. dunno bout u, but that sounds like a right laugh. so anyone with some price estimates would be greatly apreciated.
    The 206 has a TU engine but is cast iron, the main attraction of the AX is its light weight so may not be such a good idea.
    Graham

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Country Victoria
    Posts
    49

    Default 206gti

    If you pick up a 206gti at a damaged auction then you have a nice alloy engine.

  8. #8
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slvr205GTi
    If you pick up a 206gti at a damaged auction then you have a nice alloy engine.
    But a bigger one, still heavy, but wouldn't it go!!
    Graham

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    But a bigger one, still heavy, but wouldn't it go!!
    Graham
    There is no was an xu or ew engine would fit in an Ax, have to stick with tu's.

    Dave


  10. #10
    Tadpole NIKOFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    There is no was an xu or ew engine would fit in an Ax, have to stick with tu's.

    Dave
    yeah, the gti engine wont fit, but the stock 16v engine will.

    the other option is to always look into forced induction, that way, the engine is retained to keep it lightweight and it could be removed again to retain origionality. the only down side is being able to find computer system to run the whole thing... hmm well all good fuel for thought, thanks guys
    Chris
    the frog family collection-
    -CITROEN-
    xantia exclusive
    bx 19 tri estate
    bx 19 tri 122 hatch
    bx 19tzi hatch
    '74 SM injection
    ax GT <- this one is mine
    -RENAULT-
    megane convertible (soft top)

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts U Turn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slvr205GTi
    AT the moment we are looking at putting a 206gti engine into a 306 3door that we resently aquired. and building it into a track/race car.It would be interesting to find out if anybody has done this here. I have found a website in the uk where somebody has done that. and also put a gti 180 engine into a 205 gti.
    Have you looked at the xu10j4rs engine from the gti6? at least you wouldn't have to frig around with engine mounts etc as it should all bolt straight in?
    Take the long way home....

    - 306 gti6

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! AxGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    308

    Default

    The iron block 1.6 16v will fit. But you will need different engine mounts, different drive shafts, different hubs, maybe different suspension struts, and different wheels (the different hubs are 4 stud)

    Realistically, your best bet is to see if you can get a Saxo VTS front cut from NZ, as it will have everything you need, and will allow you to transfer everything across. You'd probably also want the Saxo rear axle, to get the rear disks, and 4 stud hubs.

    Ken

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger! AxGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Also, apparently the 1.6 16v head will fit the 1.4 Alloy block with some minor modifications - that might be a better path to go down, as it involves heaps less changes.

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts brenno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    2035
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    A replacement TU block and head for our 307 came in at around $13K in just parts, so I'd reckon you'd be better of looking in wrecking yards.

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger! enthused!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sinney
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    With so few good examples of AX's in Aust is it wise to butcher one ???

    - xTc -
    if it's an AX GT there's only 7 of them left.
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

    whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

    previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger! AxGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Really,

    How do you figure that? - there were ~50 imported, so thats a pretty high mortality rate

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •