406 ST auto transmission servicing
  • Help

Default 406 ST auto transmission servicing

Have spent the weekend looking at and driving a LOT of cars for a friend. We looked at a few things to replace his 505 STi, inc Ovlov 850, Saab GM900 and a few others. But he remains a Pug fan, and an immaculate 97 406 ST will be gracing his garage. (yes I got all misty eyed driving 406s... )

Advertisement

It is an auto (couldnt convince him of the joys of a manual). It is very healthy feeling transmission at 120K km, with clean fluid.

Questions - the fluid is yellow - can I assume this is the proper stuff in it? Its not Dexron III, thats for sure.

Mr Peugeot reckons these are sealed for life. I would think it has been changed at least once - it wouldnt be completly clean at those KMs otherwise surely!! The dealer he is buying from is appraently hesitant to change the fluid if the manufacturer says its a sealed unit. This seems silly to me - should be a no brainer to change the oil...

Can we just change the fluid as a precaution without drama?

Your a mind reader; I was just discussing this on a Xantia forum this morning (same auto) and the comment was made that "the fluid is still a yellow colour" so I'd say he can be very confident that it hasn't been contaminated.
    If it's changing OK, I'd be a bit inclined to let sleeping dogs lie.
    If it starts to get a bit jumpy or (as with the guy with the Xantia, it gets dirty, then I'd worry about changing.
    No point going looking for problems.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Cheers mate. My thoughts also I think. I would like to change it at some point as a precaution though. Surely it cant hurt??

What do you know about the variants - we looked at a few, and one 98 406 (no dipstick, cooler on the back of the casing) had a different box to the other 97 (dipstick, cooler on top of the casing) cars.

Haakon & others,
    I owned both a 406ST & 98 406 coupe auto & always wondered about this "sealed for life" automatic fluid.
    As it turned out, I did have occasion to change the ST as it lost a lot of fluid in a front smash when the cooling tubes at front(simpler type of transmission cooler) was damaged.
    I bought the correct fluid from Regan's here in Melbourne - a blue 2 litre plastic container of Esso fluid for the 4HP20 or AL4 transmission, Part No: 9736.22. The fluid is yellow & I recall it was expensive though can't recall just how much.
    I used that and never had a problem. The coupes transmission was truly sealed - it did not have a filling hole.
    John505

Thread Information