205 uneven after jack?
  • Help

Default 205 uneven after jack?

Sorry to go crazy with threads here guys, but this is making me worry a bit...

After jacking up the passenger side front to get to the gearbox the last two nights, I noticed that whilst lowering the jack back down there is a periodic creak from the rear... Sounds sort of like something with pressure being relieved...

Then I noticed that even after the jack is completely removed the whole car remains on a rediculous angle with the passengers side a good 15-20cm higher than the other! This is easily rectified by sitting in the passengers seat, but certainly isn't anything I've experienced before.

Has anyone else experienced similar or have some idea what it could be (springs, shocks)? It doesn't seem to effect the drivability of the car in any way and that creaking sound has not happened whilst driving...

Advertisement

It could just be that I'm paranoid - it is a 15 y/o car after all.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by semerton

After jacking up the passenger side front to get to the gearbox the last two nights, I noticed that whilst lowering the jack back down there is a periodic creak from the rear... Sounds sort of like something with pressure being relieved...

Then I noticed that even after the jack is completely removed the whole car remains on a rediculous angle with the passengers side a good 15-20cm higher than the other! This is easily rectified by sitting in the passengers seat, but certainly isn't anything I've experienced before.

Has anyone else experienced similar or have some idea what it could be (springs, shocks)? It doesn't seem to effect the drivability of the car in any way and that creaking sound has not happened whilst driving...

Sounds like a seized bearing in the rear trailing arms, this can be an expensive exercise to fix unless you can source a good second hand rear suspension.
    I know of a couple of disc brake rear ends.
    Graham

My 306 & every other hatch back i owned sat back down at a funny angle when i had one side up. Then after driving for just a little while 10-15sec they setteled down again. Is your 205 staying that way all the time?? even after driving.... - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by semerton

These previous threads might help...
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...5630&highlight
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...8854&highlight
    1990 205Gti
    1976 504 rally car (currently out of action)

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    My 306 & every other hatch back i owned sat back down at a funny angle when i had one side up. Then after driving for just a little while 10-15sec they setteled down again. Is your 205 staying that way all the time?? even after driving.... - Chris
    The front suspension will not settle until you have driven a metre or so, due to the strut geometry pushing the tyre sidways slightly as it goes up and down.
    This may be all it is.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    The front suspension will not settle until you have driven a metre or so, due to the strut geometry pushing the tyre sidways slightly as it goes up and down.
    This may be all it is.
    Graham
    Yep knew that graham, was just trying to explain/ask semerton in laymans terms.... - Chris

ps, I seen a race car get jacked just on one side, then this huge crack appeared on the side pillar, tunrs out part of the floor was so badly rusted it just gave way and the push of the roll cage did the rest... nice. He still raced. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Creaking rear-ends = time to get the rear bearings replaced... and probably your sway arms as well.

I should know... I just got mine replaced.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

It does settle pretty much as soon as you sit in the passenger seat, and after driving around the block seems perfectly level.

Please car don't break any more!

Bugger, I hope you don't have yet another problem
    I added up the amount I've spent on repairs over the past 2 years on my car and was slightly shocked, but I've had so much fun driving it that I feel it's money well spent. Better than any amusement park rides
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Thread Information