205 Rear Beam Swap to 309
  • Help

Default 205 Rear Beam Swap to 309

So this afternoon after much argueing with my dad about where im going to pull my car apart, the front lawn (not the best but i cant wait) it is.

I am swaping the S1 205 Beam with the 309 GTi one and its proving frustrating. After having to remove the whole exhaust because the whole thing is one long piece, all welded and no joiners, i had to remove it from the manifold necause i snapped one of the joiner bolts from the manifold to the downpipe. So after tearing about half the skin off my hands in the process its finally off. Then i realise i have to take the drum nut off to get the handbrake cable off so i can unbolt the beam from the car. BUT as useual i dont have a big enough socket to do so. So off to the shops tomorrow. Its bascially ready to come off so im pretty excited.

Also i have to grind or sand down the inner lip of the rear plastic arch as the beam is to wide otherwise it will rub. Any suggestions as to how i should go about this. I was thinking being careful with an angle grinder and then finishing it off with sand paper or something.

Anyway, just thought ide vent.

(ps, ring spanner ratchet things are the best tool in the world)

Advertisement
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Good luck with the conversion, and hopefully it all goes relatively smoothly
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Tadpole

can't you take the handbrake cables off from the inside, ie off the handbrake lever, and not have to worry about touching the rear drum assembly?. Thats what I did.

You'll need to shorted the 309 handbrake cables or find some disc brake 205gti ones for the conversion too otherwise it should all go smoothly.

I had to re-set the ride height on mine too, it sat very high to start with.

good luck.

moosey

not knowing the 309 rear end, why the change? is the torsion bar larger in diameter?

Tadpole

yes and wider track as well. also have disc brakes unlike most 205s.

Fellow Frogger!

it'll be good to see how u go. btw watcha doing with the S1 rear end?
    Puggy.

Im changing the rear end cause i want the wider track (cause i think it looks good) and also cause it has thicker tortion bars and anti roll bars also discs.

The S1 rear beam is already sold sorry

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

moosey

Thanks guys.

I completely agree about the ratchet ring spanners! I bought a set just after i had a look under the bonnet of my 205 for the first time. Boy do those come in handy!

Is the 309 beam different to the 205 S3 rear end? I saw that in europe there was a difference in track widths between the 1.6 and the 1.9, can't remember if the rear was the same or not...
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Cupids,

The 309 beam is 44mm wider, has the disc brakes, 1mm thicker tortion bar (i think its 20mm) and thicjer antiroll bars. Im not to sure how much by. I have heard 3 or 4 mm.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

That's all probably due to a retuning to cope with the extra weight of that hideous boot on the 309. Tell us how it feels when you're all done.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Thread Information