505 SII Dash Clock.
  • Help

Default 505 SII Dash Clock.

I have a very annoying problem with the dash clock in the SII 505.
    It is intermittant in it's working and it's dimming.
    Press the dash in the top RHS corner and all is well.
    It must be a loose connection somewhere.

Advertisement

I have taken the triangular panel off to the left and poked the wires which has the same affect as pushing the dash, (not a perminant fix).
    Has anyone out there had this problem before and is there an easy fix without pulling the whole thing apart.......
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Gamma,

Had the exact the same problem, and is apparently a common problem. But then again it's now 20 odd years old. Never got around to fixing. Possibly loose solder on the printed circuit board or the LSD itself?

Cheers,

Scott

I meant LCD not LSD!!!

I had exactly the same irritating problem in my 1986 505 SLi wagon. Finally fixed by going to a wrecker & getting a clock that worked all the time - not intermittently. Taking the vantilation control fascia off is not too difficult - take the radio out first!
    I tried new connectors & finally dismantled the clock to look at the PCB for a broken join. Couldn't find anything & when I put it back together it worked even worse!
    So my advice for what it is worth is, if it irritates you, replace the clock with a good second hand one!
    Best of british,
    John505

Fellow Frogger!

The canberra pug site has an article on the SII clock.

Tim

Tadpole

Yes, it is a common problem. The lugs on the circuit board come loose. Take the clock out. Remove the board from the clock and remelt the joints to the lugs. Put it all back together.

It takes longer to get the clock out than it takes to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip.g
    Yes, it is a common problem. The lugs on the circuit board come loose. Take the clock out. Remove the board from the clock and remelt the joints to the lugs. Put it all back together.

It takes longer to get the clock out than it takes to fix it!
    Excellent just the advice I need.

How the do I get the clock out without having to empty the boot out, take all the tyres off and extract the unit via the exhaust pipe......
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

Fellow Frogger!

Technical Article - Changing the Bulb in 505 GTi Series II Digital Clocks
    I found the following procedure posted by Taejin Park on Vector Board's Peugeot Car Pages on 23 October 2000 (thanks TJ!). If you have been putting off changing the bulb behind the digital clock in your 1986 or later (Series II) Peugeot 505 GTi sedan or wagon; because the Haynes workshop manual gives the impression you have to remove the whole centre console to do it; then read on.
    Using a small flat bladed screwdriver, prise out the small triangular plastic cover to the left of the clock (from the right-hand side is easier).

Remove the ash tray.

Undo the screws behind the triangular plastic cover and the ash tray. It is better to use a speciality bit to do this as the screws are not the normal Phillips head screws (Dick Smith Electronics had a small set of security bits on sale recently that looked like they might fit the bill for about $13. Jaycar Electronics also sell similar screwdriver bit sets).

Put a small flat bladed screw driver into the small hole on the left hand side of the instrument panel and press it in gently to spring the clip that holds the instrument panel in (you only need to release the left hand side).

Gently bend the top of the console out just enough to enable you to undo the connector on the back of the clock and slide it upwards and out.

If you already have a bulb on hand then the whole process only takes about 10 minutes maximum. I ended up soldering a couple of microlamps from Tandy ($1.95 for 2, catalog number 272-1092) into the original holder rather than using the genuine article. Jaycar Electronics also have similar microlamps available.

Refitting is the reverse process - but be careful that the console has snapped back into place before doing up the two screws.

So far it all seems to be working well in my 1988 505 GTi Wagon.

Simon Nix
    23 August 2001

Tadpole

Simon,

I agree with the procedure totally. My only comment is to use an old butter knife to pry off the triangular cover. The knife will leave no marks.

BTW The cover is held at the sides, best to pry from the top or bottom.

I don't think any workshop is complete without an old butter knife!

Good Luck

Gamma,
    If you want to remove the clock, you will have to remove the ventilation control fascia in one piece, as the clock inserts (by sliding down) into a recess in the top of the panel. If all you need to do is change the bulb, follow the other advice.
    To remove the panel:
    a) remove the radio/tape or head unit
    b) remove plastic surround for above by removing the small phillips head holding screws (2)
    c) using appropriate spanner/socket, remove three bolts securing bottom edge of fascia to metal support structure
    d) remove ashtray exposing hidden screw. Remove with phillips screwdriver (may need to use different phillips type bits in ratchet driver)
    e) remove triangular blanking panel to left of clock using small flat bladed screwdriver - panel will bend slightly & pop out. Exposes hidden screw - remove as in above
    f) buy gently lifting dashboard leading edge at the meetig with the top of fascia, ease the fascia out & downwards, leaving it "swinging" on connectors & vacuum lines.
    g) remove clock!
    h) reinstallation is the reverse.
    The more often you do this procedure, the more expert you become!
    Cheers,
    John505

Tadpole

I have managed to remove the clock without doing the full procedure. You can spring the facial panel out far enough to lift the clock out. There is a risk that you pull too far and break the facia, but if you not heavy handed it should be fine.

Your choice.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Scott 505 gti
    I meant LCD not LSD!!!
    Heeeeyyy mmaaannn.
    looking at the method of repair, you might be better of with LSD. [whatever that is]
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip.g
    I have managed to remove the clock without doing the full procedure. You can spring the facial panel out far enough to lift the clock out. There is a risk that you pull too far and break the facia, but if you not heavy handed it should be fine.

Your choice.
    Agree Phillip. I have also removed the clock without taking off the air fascia panel. A little bit of care is all that is required.

Thanks for the suggestion re the PCB lugs, as I have tried several techniques, including the use of electrical contact cleaner etc, all of which have produced short term results (a matter of days).

Will try your suggestion.

Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by John505
    Gamma,
    If you want to remove the clock, you will have to remove the ventilation control fascia in one piece, as the clock inserts (by sliding down) into a recess in the top of the panel. If all you need to do is change the bulb, follow the other advice.
    To remove the panel:
    a) remove the radio/tape or head unit
    b) remove plastic surround for above by removing the small phillips head holding screws (2)
    c) using appropriate spanner/socket, remove three bolts securing bottom edge of fascia to metal support structure
    d) remove ashtray exposing hidden screw. Remove with phillips screwdriver (may need to use different phillips type bits in ratchet driver)
    e) remove triangular blanking panel to left of clock using small flat bladed screwdriver - panel will bend slightly & pop out. Exposes hidden screw - remove as in above
    f) buy gently lifting dashboard leading edge at the meetig with the top of fascia, ease the fascia out & downwards, leaving it "swinging" on connectors & vacuum lines.
    g) remove clock!
    h) reinstallation is the reverse.
    The more often you do this procedure, the more expert you become!
    Cheers,
    John505
    Success.

I used the minimalist approach,
    -Steering wheel off,
    -Instrument panel out,
    -Screw behind triangular panel, (caution as the nut behind is not captive and you run the risk of loosing it down into the depths).
    Ash tray out and loosen screw only.
    -gently ease panel out and slide clock up and out, 9after removing wire/plug).

Then the repair.
    -out of the way of general crap and rubble, (kitchen table).
    -unscrew two small Phillips screws and prise back off noting the position of the soft touch rubbers for the time adjusters.
    -make sure you do not loose sight of the orientation of the LCD, (very important).
    -examine the terminals, (with the terminals facing down, viewing the soldered joints on the LHS, I could see that the two uppermost joints were cracked).
    -using the very funky, butane fired, fine tipped, soldering iron, ($50 from dickie smiths), I re-did the joints on all terminals.
    -reassembly is the reverse of initial destruction.

I use the dental floss tied to the nut trick to prevent loss, (THE NUT HAS A RETAINED WASHER TO MAKE THINGS EASIER).

And thus the clock now keeps perfict time and dimms/brightenes when approperate.

Thanks to all for your hints.
    As for any one wanting to attempt the same and you are in the Northern end of the Southern Highlands, give us a call and I can assist, (easy when you know how).
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

Thread Information